Victron Inverter Query

Glynn

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Glynn said:

Just had a phone conversation with Onboard Energy ( who are extremely efficient ) and they confirm that it is indeed working as it should and that theres no problem with it.

Its the older models that aren't up to the standards of the new ones and this is just how they are.

Thanks to everyone's input.

So showing a fault (reversed polarity) is 'working as it should'

What would happen if you did have reversed polarity.

Don't sound right to me !!

I wonder what Boater Sam would suggest ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

42 minutes ago, hider said:

Not so with the way that an rcd ( or rcbo )  works.

If it was an elcb I would agree with you.

So you reckon that if there was a Live-Earth short that the RCD would trip?  I bet you even think all Jags are Ford Mondeos. 

Edited by WotEver

12 minutes ago, WotEver said:

So you reckon that if there was a Live-Earth short that the RCD would trip?  I bet you even think all Jags are Ford Mondeos. 

What? Some daft posts on here.

23 hours ago, Loddon said:

I seem to remember that some early ones had the relay but it wasn't implemented in the software, from memory needs to be software version 18xxxx or later for it to work 17xxxx didn't have it. But it may have been 19xxxx ;)

Assuming of course I am thinking of the right Victron product .

We had 17xxxx and it didn't have it. 

7 minutes ago, Glynn said:

OK, so what do you lot suggest I do ?.

Take the advise off two Victron Dealers or here ?

Sadly dealers are wrong, I went through exactly the same with mine a few years ago.

I would take the front panel off and look for a chip its about 20mm x 6mm with a paper sticker on it which should have a number on it which will be the software version. If it starts with 17 then it is working as best as it can unless you fit an external relay as I did.

If it starts with 19 then you will need to get someone with the victron PC interface to reset the software as it cant be done on the dip switches.

If you were local to me I could do it but it looks like you are not.

22 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Sadly dealers are wrong, I went through exactly the same with mine a few years ago.

I would take the front panel off and look for a chip its about 20mm x 6mm with a paper sticker on it which should have a number on it which will be the software version. If it starts with 17 then it is working as best as it can unless you fit an external relay as I did.

If it starts with 19 then you will need to get someone with the victron PC interface to reset the software as it cant be done on the dip switches.

If you were local to me I could do it but it looks like you are not.

Yep, looking at what appears to be the correct manual there is no mention of N-E bonding...

https://www.victronenergy.com/Manuals/PhoenixMulti/UKISM010054000-rev00.pdf

I guess adding a bonding relay will be the way forward for OP if he wishes to do it. 

You wire a mains relay, with the coil fed by the shore power input. You use the normally closed contacts to connect Neutral and Earth on the output of the inverter. When shore power is connected the relay operates and opens the contacts. 

3 hours ago, hider said:

Not so with the way that an rcd ( or rcbo )  works.

If it was an elcb I would agree with you.

You should review how an RCD works. I’m sure you don’t want to take my word for it but please check and be sure of your ground before arguing about an important safety feature.

An RCD works by comparing the L and N currents. If they are not equal within 30mA or so it trips. Without an NE bond a piece of equipment could have a L E short or an N E short and you would be none the wiser. With an NE bond a LE short would trip the MCB and a NE short would trip the RCD.

40 minutes ago, Glynn said:

would love to but how ?

Going back to your first post, what happens if you replace the apparently blown clip-in fuse? Fuses are there for a reason, if one is blown then something isn’t working. The NE bond isn’t working. Putting 2 and 2 together...

9 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Going back to your first post, what happens if you replace the apparently blown clip-in fuse? Fuses are there for a reason, if one is blown then something isn’t working. The NE bond isn’t working. Putting 2 and 2 together...

Onboard Energy said this was for the charging and since the charging works it must be ok.

Edited by Glynn

14 minutes ago, Glynn said:

Onboard Energy said this was for the charging and since the charging works it must be ok.

My point remains that if indeed the fuse is blown, something that should be working isn’t working. Maybe you should check the fuse again?

Edited by nicknorman

9 hours ago, WotEver said:

You wire a mains relay, with the coil fed by the shore power input. You use the normally closed contacts to connect Neutral and Earth on the output of the inverter. When shore power is connected the relay operates and opens the contacts. 

Relays do not energise/de-energise quickly enough to stop an RCD on shore from tripping.

it will need to be the N/O side connected to the N/E and fed from a part of the circuit that is not live when shore power is on such as the inverter on. Or do as I did in the end and fit a manual switch ;)

That answers that. You will need some form of external NE link.

Easiest and simplest is a switch  between NE on the output of the inverter. I put mine in the consumer unit you just have to remember to switch over when changing to/from shore power. It can be done with a relay but you will have to think about sequencing as if NE are connected when the shore power is on the shore RCD will trip.

So just a simple switch on the AC out of the inverter that effectivly joins the N & E ?.

And if I was to make a "temporary" link with a wire placed across N&E on the inverter ac out to test if it extinguishes the the reverse polarity light ?

23 minutes ago, Glynn said:

Could I just wire a plug with a wire from N to E and when on inverter power just plug that into a socket ?, instead of a switch ?

Yes. 

33 minutes ago, Glynn said:

So just a simple switch on the AC out of the inverter that effectivly joins the N & E ?.

And if I was to make a "temporary" link with a wire placed across N&E on the inverter ac out to test if it extinguishes the the reverse polarity light ?

Yes. 

Ive just tried the plug method, guess what, it worked !

The reverse polarity light went out.

I think I'll wire in a switch.

Also, is it ok to wire the switch directly from the inverter AC out terminals ?.

Edited by Glynn