Chester locks

Alan

Featured Posts

I understand that one of the locks through Chester doesn't have a ladder which one is it please ?

I'll probably be singlehanded so I'd like to be prepared,bow hauling would seem to be the answer.

Thanks

Alan

Beeston Iron Lock has no ladder - they are normally cut into the lock side and this isn't practical on a lock made of cast iron plates. 

It's actually about ten miles from Chester, but you have to go through it to get to Chester from the main system

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Alan. Why not post in the crew swop section? someone in the area may well come along and help you through?

Good idea,I'll give it some thought nearer the time.

There's usually a queue at Beeston especially as most won't risk taking two boats through it so you should have help at hand.  

IIRC there's usually a vlockie at Northgate, there certainly has been when we've been through.

3 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

There's usually a queue at Beeston especially as most won't risk taking two boats through it so you should have help at hand.  

IIRC there's usually a vlockie at Northgate, there certainly has been when we've been through.

There was a vollie at Northgate staircase this morning and Friday, but I've also single-handed them before. Iron lock is the only pain single-handed.

A ladder is to be cut into the lock as part of this winter 's work and stoppages programne, see https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/15220-lock-11-beeston-iron-lock-beeston-brook-shropshire-union-canal

Take care on this lock as the water flow when the paddles are raised is very fierce, there's a warning notice at the lock, if I remember correctly.

1 minute ago, Mortimer Mouse said:

A ladder is to be cut into the lock as part of this winter 's work and stoppages programne, see https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/15220-lock-11-beeston-iron-lock-beeston-brook-shropshire-union-canal

Take care on this lock as the water flow when the paddles are raised is very fierce, there's a warning notice at the lock, if I remember correctly.

Woohoo!

I'd picked up on some repairs having been carried this March but missed the notice about a ladder installation in 2020 (I'd even contemplated taking my own ladder with me!)

Maybe I'll delay the trip 'till next year.

Thanks

Alan

19 minutes ago, Mortimer Mouse said:

I'll be interested to see how they do that - it's easy enough so long as one accepts the lock being about 6 inches narrower (which may not be acceptable)

On safety grounds it's way overdue (for those who don't realise the primary function of a ladder is to allow someone in the water to climb out if the bottom gates are closed - not to give access on and off a boat)

AS mentioned in another recent post, Beeston Iron Lock is grade 2 listed, so wondering how CaRT have gone about the heritage aspect with this modification. Maybe they haven't told anyone, or not realised yet?!

Went there two years ago. Had a similar experience to others. VLocky at Chester staircase and plenty of people around to help a single hander through the iron lock.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Whilst we are on the subject of Chester, we have just had the Sunday Carvery at the recently re-opened Shady Oak pub (canalside at bridge 109, south of Chester) and it was excellent. 

Edited by rgreg

3 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

AS mentioned in another recent post, Beeston Iron Lock is grade 2 listed, so wondering how CaRT have gone about the heritage aspect with this modification. Maybe they haven't told anyone, or not realised yet?!

Went there two years ago. Had a similar experience to others. VLocky at Chester staircase and plenty of people around to help a single hander through the iron lock.

Jen

• CRT have recently negotiated an exemption from some aspects of changing listed structures so maybe this lets them sneak this one through on safety grounds. Its actually very concerning as it allows changes to surface and signage. This has allowed them to start putting up horrible blue lock name signs in place of the original historic lock signs, and I fear could allow them to take up cobbles to lay a cycle raceway.

..........Dave

I see no particular reason not to use a ladder in the Northgate staircase locks, other than their depth. As whenever using a lock ladder, just take it steady and be sure to hold on. I climbed down the ladder in the top lock last month,  in order to walk along the top plank then be a human bow thruster so we could squeeze past the bottom gates; Nuneaton and Brighton are a very tight fit in that lock.

4 hours ago, rgreg said:

Whilst we are on the subject of Chester, we have just had the Sunday Carvery at the recently re-opened Shady Oak pub (canalside at bridge 109, south of Chester) and it was excellent. 

That’s good news. I’m heading that way tomorrow. 

10 hours ago, StephenA said:

I don't think I'd want to use the ladders in the Northgate Staircase.

There ok. But were very mucky. 

As the locks on the Forth and Clyde didn't used to have ladders they were installed as part of the millennium project  but they put them proud of the walls till it was pointed out to them that this was a bit tricky for boats and they recessed them. One of the many aspects of the work done at that time where it would have been done properly if  BW Scotland had spoken to BW south of the border! It was all one company at that time.  The horrendous anti vandal gear (which we still have ), the lock gear on the staircase locks above the Wheel where you had to lean over the deep lock to wind a horizontal steering wheel to open and close the paddles

(these have fortunately been replaced). 

haggis

Edited by haggis

10 hours ago, Alan said:

I understand that one of the locks through Chester doesn't have a ladder which one is it please ?

I'll probably be singlehanded so I'd like to be prepared,bow hauling would seem to be the answer.

Thanks

Alan

When you coming through. 

I might be available to help. 

20 hours ago, Alan said:

Woohoo!

I'd picked up on some repairs having been carried this March but missed the notice about a ladder installation in 2020 (I'd even contemplated taking my own ladder with me!)

Maybe I'll delay the trip 'till next year.

Thanks

Alan

Depending on time of day and moth of the year, day of week etc, you are more likely to find other boaters around as the Iron Lock is restricted to single boat use whilst others are double so more likely to have someone waiting wither up or down. 

Or at least that is my recollection - two years since our last visit.

13 hours ago, Goliath said:

When you coming through. 

I might be available to help. 

That's kind of you Goliath,

I've only just bought the boat so I'm 'armchair planning' at the moment but it probably wouldn't be until later in the year.(avoiding holiday periods)

Alan

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

Depending on time of day and moth of the year, day of week etc, you are more likely to find other boaters around as the Iron Lock is restricted to single boat use whilst others are double so more likely to have someone waiting wither up or down. 

Or at least that is my recollection - two years since our last visit.

Cheers Mike,

Yes, you're seldom totally alone on the cut.