Innovation in narrow boats

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ahhhh - the Star-Wars phone :

'Whore are we'  being the correct pronunciation.

When I worked for BT Huawei were tendering to supply power equipment for the "21st Centuary Network".

Their representatives pronounced it ""Waarway".

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

When I worked for BT Huawei were tendering to supply power equipment for the "21st Centuary Network".

Their representatives pronounced it ""Waarway".

Which reminds me of the Mitsubishi "Starrion" car which name allegedly sprang from a lost in the English - Japanese translation/pronunciation error of the word "Stallion".

5 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Which reminds me of the Mitsubishi "Starrion" car which name allegedly sprang from a lost in the English - Japanese translation/pronunciation error of the word "Stallion".

Or the Pajero which 'failed to sell' in some Spanish speaking countries until they changed the name to Monterro

Pajero being Spanish slang for "masturbation & self abuse"

20 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Or the Pajero which 'failed to sell' in some Spanish speaking countries until they changed the name to Monterro

Pajero being Spanish slang for "masturbation & self abuse"

I had a similar miss fortune trying to sell a particular meteorological information system to Germany.  The system was called MIST, harmless enough until we discovered in german it means crap, rubbish, shit etc 

4 minutes ago, JJPHG said:

I had a similar miss fortune trying to sell a particular meteorological information system to Germany.  The system was called MIST, harmless enough until we discovered in german it means crap, rubbish, shit etc 

Toyota realised they would have a problem selling the MR2 in France for the same reason, (M R Deux), so in French speaking countries it was called the MR.

Jen

19 minutes ago, JJPHG said:

Similarly the Rolls Royce Silver Mist didn’t sell too well in Germany.

44 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Similarly the Rolls Royce Silver Mist didn’t sell too well in Germany.

That was what the Silver Shadow was going to be called as the successor to the Silver Cloud. RR had printed all the brochures and prepped the demo car ready for the launch at the Frankfurt motor show when somebody pointed out the problem a few days beforehand. Cue frantic scramble to reprint all the material and make new badges...

BTW I've spent a lot of time in the past working with Huawei and visiting them in China, and they pronounce it "Hwaar-way" -- the first syllable does start with an H sound but it's combined with the W not pronounced separately.

I guess they didn't sell too many Lada Novas in Spain, even if the name is quite appropriate.

But for stupid car names step forward the genius who came up with the Isuzu Bighorn. 

On 19/05/2019 at 08:51, blackrose said:

It wouldn't, but the OP was also talking about mooring restrictions not just cruising dimensions: 

When moored up for the night, these restrictions do not apply.

You quoted it yourself!

I'm just saying that sometimes restrictions do apply even when mooring. You wouldn't want protrusions sticking out from the side of the boat towards the waterway for other boats to hit for example, that might also prevent other boats from bresting up.

An elevating roof wouldn't protrude out from the side of the boat though or prevent others rafting up.

I have long thought that narrowboat windows should come with a slanted aluminium drip tray that collects the condensation and channels it through a small, rubber lined weep hole in the bottom corner of a window, thus protecting the wood and helping moisture escape.  Would be interested to know if anyone thinks this is/ isn't feasible.

6 minutes ago, Ghemmie said:

I have long thought that narrowboat windows should come with a slanted aluminium drip tray that collects the condensation and channels it through a small, rubber lined weep hole in the bottom corner of a window, thus protecting the wood and helping moisture escape.  Would be interested to know if anyone thinks this is/ isn't feasible.

Ours has this feature, once a year we clean the drain holes out.

17 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

But for stupid car names step forward the genius who came up with the Isuzu Bighorn. 

Dacia DUSTER

• Happy 1

4 hours ago, Ghemmie said:

Caldwell Windows and Channel Glaze (to name but 2)n seem to think it's feasible - they make windows with a groove in the frame for this purpose. I have these and it appears Matty (see above) does too - in fact, I thought this idea was so ubiquitous I'm wondering if anyone here doesn't have this feature in their reasonably modern narrowboat windows.

• Happy 1

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ahhhh - the Star-Wars phone :

'Whore are we'  being the correct pronunciation.

I thought that came from the Fukawei Pygmy tribe that roamed the country weaving between fields of high high grasses. They’d jump up and down shouting “We’re the Fukawei”. 

5 hours ago, Neil2 said:

I guess they didn't sell too many Lada Novas in Spain, even if the name is quite appropriate.

But for stupid car names step forward the genius who came up with the Isuzu Bighorn

I had one of those and yes bloody silly name and agricultural but very very good off road, I had that thing at some very scary angles

14 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

"Where the Fukawei", Makes sense (as a joke) to me

"We are the Fukawei" ? Doesn't make sense as a joke.

I didn’t type “we are”, I typed “we’re” which, when shouted out, sounds like “where”. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

I didn’t type “we are”, I typed “we’re” which, when shouted out, sounds like “where”. 

Indeed you did, but we're is a contraction of 'we are' and shouting we're sounds nothing like 'where'.

I'd suggest that 'we're' sounds like 'weir', whilst 'where' sounds like 'ware'.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Indeed you did, but we're is a contraction of 'we are' and shouting we're sounds nothing like 'where'.

For the purposes of the joke I would argue that it does. 

14 hours ago, tree monkey said:

I had one of those and yes bloody silly name and agricultural but very very good off road, I had that thing at some very scary angles

So you had your Bighorn at some scary angles?