Selfish or not?

ihatework

Featured Posts

I’m currently sat in my caravan listening to an engine running on the opposite bank whilst the owner is in their friends boat. It’s 9.45pm. They obviously can’t hear it but I can. What would you do?

Strangely it’s just been switched off. Thanks if you are online! 

There's a 'law' that says no running an engine or generator before 8 am, and after 8 pm. 

You'd have probably got a mouthful from them at this time of night, perhaps mention the 'law' when you see them in the morning, they probably don't know.

What type of 'law' it is I'm not sure. 

Edited by Jennifer McM

13 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

There's a 'law' that says no running an engine or generator before 8 am, and after 8 pm. 

You'd have probably got a mouthful from them at this time of night, perhaps mention the 'law' when you see them in the morning, they probably don't know.

What type of 'law' it is I'm not sure. 

It's a condition of your CRT licence, assuming you have one.

Actually, on the few occasions I have approached owners of boats running engines late at night I haven't had any issues, maybe I've been lucky.  But if someone is running an engine when my wife is trying to watch say Poldark or Line of Duty I'd rather risk the ire of an unknown boat owner than the wrath of my nearest and dearest. 

The purpose of T&Cs being that when a boat owner applies to renew their licence their history regarding honouring the aforementioned T&Cs previously has a bearing.

If their indiscretions aren't forwarded with a diary of details then the awarding authority has no evidence to bring them to book.

It's like most circumstances where T&Cs are in place. It's down to everyone (except the organisation that takes the money) to police it.

The nobs of this world don't tend to understand this, they simply continue doing what they want because nothing ever happens. 

8 hours ago, zenataomm said:

The purpose of T&Cs being that when a boat owner applies to renew their licence their history regarding honouring the aforementioned T&Cs previously has a bearing.

If their indiscretions aren't forwarded with a diary of details then the awarding authority has no evidence to bring them to book.

It's like most circumstances where T&Cs are in place. It's down to everyone (except the organisation that takes the money) to police it.

The nobs of this world don't tend to understand this, they simply continue doing what they want because nothing ever happens. 

As i said earlier, I don't tolerate it and I've never been met with any aggression whenever I have challenged folk about it, actually most of the time people are highly apologetic.

The last time was when the boat in front of us started up at 10pm.   On this occasion the couple gave the excuse that they had just returned to the boat after a few days away and the batteries were very low.  I politely explained that nonetheless it was unreasonable to expect us to put up with the noise and fumes late at night and in any case they were breaching their licence conditions.  They admitted they didn't know about the 8pm restriction and I believe they were genuinely ignorant, probably because no-one had challenged them about this behaviour before. 

I  

On 18/05/2019 at 21:46, ihatework said:

I’m currently sat in my caravan listening to an engine running on the opposite bank whilst the owner is in their friends boat. It’s 9.45pm. They obviously can’t hear it but I can. What would you do?

Strangely it’s just been switched off. Thanks if you are online! 

They probably can hear it. They are just not bothered by it.....!

13 hours ago, Neil2 said:

As i said earlier, I don't tolerate it and I've never been met with any aggression whenever I have challenged folk about it, actually most of the time people are highly apologetic.

I have only ever had one aggressive response when asking a boater to turn his engine off at 10:30 pm.  On a packed visitor mooring at Skipton Festival a few years ago.

He got gobby, I said "Fine, don't turn your engine off, I will do it for you.  You might need a magnet to get your keys back tomorrow."

I do love cruiser stern boats that have the ignition keys in the throttle column, but I wouldn't have one if you gave it me! :giggles:

10 hours ago, Horace42 said:

They probably can hear it. They are just not bothered by it.....!

Or, like me, just take their hearing aids out when the engine is running . . . (I think we have the quietest conventional engine on the system!) In any case, depending on the mountings etc, sometimes the sound of the engine is less inside than out.