Parkside arc welder

blackrose

Featured Posts

I am no welder, especially arc but I have had one of those for some time now and have "welded" up the metalwork for the back rubber fender on the boat when the end fell out. Not weld in inverted commas. It seems secure enough after several years but I am still not sure if its weld blobs or flux holding it together.

I have never got it to strike anything thicker than a 1.5mm rod and its duty cycle is not very long so with multiple weld passes you have to keep stopping to let it cool down.

Agree with matty, and inverter welder should bee easier.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Yes it's likely to be crap but it is only £40.  Most likely an AC machine, the one and only advantage it has is it won't suffer from an annoying condition known as "arc blow".  Unfortunately it's performance will be so lacking, it would probably be enough to put a novice off.  It would be better to go for an invertor welder, around £150-200, then you'll learn properly without wasting the £40.

I bought a second hand inverter welder some years ago, just to get a feel for the arc welding process, inspired by the experts at Norton Canes Boatbuilders. Graham Edgson started me off and gave me a box of rods and lots of scrap offcuts to play with. Sometimes I could produce a decent fillet, sometimes one l likened to pigeon crap....without knowing what I’d done differently. The welder was fine, said Graham....must have been me! 

• Haha 1

While incredibly frustrating to learn with, you can produce decent welds with these, I have one that I taught myself with and after hours of practice /entertainment I can get a pretty decent weld from it, all the way up to 10mm thick with a couple of passes, will try to find photos

16 minutes ago, harrybsmith said:

While incredibly frustrating to learn with, you can produce decent welds with these, I have one that I taught myself with and after hours of practice /entertainment I can get a pretty decent weld from it, all the way up to 10mm thick with a couple of passes, will try to find photos

Including vertical and upside down welds??

17 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

Mike the boilerman giving us the benefit of his sage advice on another subject he has absolutely no experience or knowledge of. 

CompairHolman talking out of his arse again.

Take notice of NB Esk, he's one of the best welders in the weld.   :closedeyes:

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Including vertical and upside down welds??

There are special rods that help with that.  

• Happy 1

8 hours ago, CompairHolman said:

Mike the boilerman giving us the benefit of his sage advice on another subject he has absolutely no experience or knowledge of. of which he has absolutely no experience or knowledge.

Corrected that for you.

People who end sentences with a preposition are to be regarded with suspicion.

7 hours ago, bizzard said:

Take notice of NB Esk, he's one of the best welders in the weld.   :closedeyes:

There are special rods that help with that.  

There is obviously more to welding than meets the eye.

I do know someone who has made his welding an art form,  his boat is still floating level after two years on it's mooring, 

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Corrected that for you.

Both forms are correct. Surely it's the people who patronise others and unnecessarily correct their English that should be regarded with suspicion?

22 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Both forms are correct.

Well, Churchill described it as the type of grammar “up with which he would not put” but it’s all a bit of harmless fun, surely. 

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

Corrected that for you.

There is obviously more to welding than meets the eye.

I do know someone who has made his welding an art form,  his boat is still floating level after two years on it's mooring, 

Or as Mr Alban my English teacher said, a preposition is a very bad thing to end a sentence with.

And on the subject of welding, even using a real grown up professional welding kit there were days when my work looked almost professional, and other days when I was happy to stick on anodes, as at least my work was hidden under water.

Edited by Stilllearning

53 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

And definitely one of the automatic helmets, a hand held mask is a pain in the eye.

Having used hand held masks for donkeys years I once tried an automatic one. Nearly disaster as you now have a free hand when before were both occupied. That free hand wanders about and can wander into the heat Ow!!!

5 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

... on the odd occasion have been known to use an exclamation mark!

Or as they’re known in copywriting, ‘screamers’. 

7 hours ago, blackrose said:

“There are times when trying to avoid ending a sentence with a preposition creates unnecessary and awkward phrasing”

I’m not sure I’d agree with the author there. I’d like to see an example.