LPG leak ?

Featured Posts

Well that did/didnt work

Fitted new cylinder reg and it was fine for a first bubble test but then it has done the same and just one bubble then nothing until you lift the tester button again and press then another bubble appears again then noting.

So i am going to make a manometer asap. 

Oh and i am going to go and test it now again but leave it for 2 mins.

52 minutes ago, W+T said:

Well that did/didnt work

Fitted new cylinder reg and it was fine for a first bubble test but then it has done the same and just one bubble then nothing until you lift the tester button again and press then another bubble appears again then noting.

So i am going to make a manometer asap. 

Oh and i am going to go and test it now again but leave it for 2 mins.

This is the manometer test procedure that I was given (think it was from a forum member.) Our safety guy appears to do this:

"The proper soundness test technique is as follows: 

A one minute let-by test at 10mb (4 inches) to test the isolation valve works (they sometimes don't, which can disguise a leak). You're looking for a RISE in pressure which will show the valve is faulty. This is followed by raising the system pressure to 30mb (12 inches) and waiting for the five minute stabilisation period. If during the stabilisation period the pressure changes, record the new pressure then the real five minute test period begins. After the five minute test period NO fall in pressure is acceptable.

With a digital manometer 'no fall' means a fall of 0.3mb or less. A very aggressive and unforgiving test which dry compression fittings regularly fail, in my experience.

A manometer is read by adding the difference between both sides of the watercolumn. In other words, if the water column moves down 1” on the pressure side and up 1” on the other side, that would equal 2” of water. The reading of amanometer that equals 2” of water column is .07226 PSI."

Edited by Guest

Just been out and done 90 second test on all lines individually and all together and no bubbles at all. 

Maybe he first tie i did it tonight i didnt pressurise the system properly, who knows and i dont care as its fine now at long bloody last. BSS time :)    

Thanks all for the help as it was real bugging me that one. Just never thought a new reg would fail so quickly with hardy any use.

Captain Faffer :)

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, W+T said:

Just been out and done 90 second test on all lines individually and all together and no bubbles at all. 

Maybe he first tie i did it tonight i didnt pressurise the system properly, who knows and i dont care as its fine now at long bloody last. BSS time :)    

Thanks all for the help as it was real bugging me that one. Just never thought a new reg would fail so quickly with hardy any use.

Captain Faffer :)

surprisingly an objective and logical approach by an un-involved party can sometimes work wonders.

glad it's all OK now.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

surprisingly an objective and logical approach by an un-involved party can sometimes work wonders.

glad it's all OK now.

Certainly it does.  One thing that does make it difficult though is so many folk with different ideas and thoughts that can make it more difficult. Reason i stepped back a few days ago and put ideas i had been given in line and went from there. To may thoughts can make it worse for me to work out.

Just would never of thought a new reg would fail so quick.  But there you go, another lesson learned.

11 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

glad it's all OK now.

Well done Murf :)

10 hours ago, W+T said:

Certainly it does.  One thing that does make it difficult though is so many folk with different ideas and thoughts that can make it more difficult. Reason i stepped back a few days ago and put ideas i had been given in line and went from there. To may thoughts can make it worse for me to work out.

Just would never of thought a new reg would fail so quick.  But there you go, another lesson learned.

The regulator could have been faulty when you fitted it. We have had one that was faulty from day one and had to be replaced again.

12 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

The regulator could have been faulty when you fitted it. We have had one that was faulty from day one and had to be replaced again.

Its been fitted for a while and me being me checked the bubble tester when i was working on the boat or used the heater. 

Keeping calm i am

I tried the bubble tester again yesterday and again tonight and every time i do its different result of bubbles showing, sometimes non at all.

I just popped back out and now there are non showing in each three lines individually or all together.

I give up i think. BSS this Saturday and see what he thinks. If it fails i have found a local chap plumber that mite find time to come around but not for a week or two to have a look. 

8 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

hopefully you have now purged it thoroughly and you will get a consistent result .....  fingers crossed.

I thought that before as for a day or so after i changed the reg it was ok but that was last week. now its back as last week random bubbles then non.

23 hours ago, Murflynn said:

hopefully you have now purged it thoroughly and you will get a consistent result .....  fingers crossed.

You know that could be it kida, you may well be right. 

Got home tonoght and turbed the gas on and lef tit for 10 mins and nothing at all, no bubbles. 

Dont get why it takes so long for the pressure to build up though.

Still its ok so thats all i need to now. BSS tomoz still.

7 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Good luck with the safety test.

Got to get ours done in the next few months. Seems to have come around quickly!

Thanks Rach, i am looking forward to it. Ah just remembered i havnt fitted the smoke alarm and C'Monoxide alarms. do that in the morning.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, W+T said:

You know that could be it kida, you may well be right. 

Got home tonoght and turbed the gas on and lef tit for 10 mins and nothing at all, no bubbles. 

Dont get why it takes so long for the pressure to build up though.

Still its ok so thats all i need to now. BSS tomoz still.

g'd luck cobber :cheers:

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, W+T said:

Leave it on now until after the exam. I mean, it doesn’t leak so what’s the harm? :)

I have never done pressure testing on such small systems. but one of the things we always did was to pressurise it and allow the temperature to stabilise before starting a test,      What effect if any would charging these small pipes with propane via a regulator that drops the pressure from cylinder pressure, considering pressure reduction leads to refrigeration?

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have never done pressure testing on such small systems. but one of the things we always did was to pressurise it and allow the temperature to stabilise before starting a test,      What effect if any would charging these small pipes with propane via a regulator that drops the pressure from cylinder pressure, considering pressure reduction leads to refrigeration?

I think I posted this earlier, but something strange and similar goes on with our boat when the weather is cold. The bubble tester will show an odd bubble when it is minus something outside and about 30 degrees inside with the stove lit. Never a problem in more moderate temperatures. Yet a manometer test shows no problems even in extreme conditions, and copious amounts of leak detector spray shows nothing. I am coming to the conclusion that bubble testers can lead you up the garden path sometimes. I only test it in summer now ;)

Edited by Guest

48 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Are you the proud owner of a Boat Safety Certificate yet Wayne? ?

Nearly, i say that as it failed but only on the fire extinguishers and blanket. I knew what to buy and i had them in my basket. but i kept the wrong dam ones in. The ones i bought didnt have the BS Kite mark on. When i get them fitted i can send him pictures of them in situ to save a call out again and he will send me the Cert :)

not bad for my first complete rebuild/refit. :)

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, W+T said:

Nearly, i say that as it failed but only on the fire extinguishers and blanket. I knew what to buy and i had them in my basket. but i kept the wrong dam ones in. The ones i bought didnt have the BS Kite mark on. When i get them fitted i can send him pictures of them in situ to save a call out again and he will send me the Cert :)

Well done! I had a similar prob with extinguishers some years ago. 

31 minutes ago, W+T said:

My sincere commiserations. I bet you don't know whether to laugh or cry, failing on such a small thing.

Anyway congratulations on passing everything else. Perhaps a visit SpecSavers is needed? ?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

My sincere commiserations. I bet you don't know whether to laugh or cry, failing on such a small thing.

Anyway congratulations on passing everything else. Perhaps a visit SpecSavers is needed? ?

I am over the moon untill the cushions got delivered, i put it in my blog that bit. NOT impressed so tat dampend m mood.