Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Jennifer McM

Where were you when man landed on the moon?

Featured Posts

Do you have memories of what you were doing, where you were, did you take any 'grainy' pictures from when man landed on the moon.

UK Space Agency is curating people's memories to mark the 50th anniversary of the occasion https://moonlandingmemories.com/

(That's if you believe they did of course.... :ninja: )

I watched it on tv and recorded it on a reel to reel tape recorder which is still stuck in a drawer somewhere at my old mums, unless she has binned it. A good scam, we were all taken in. ?

• Greenie 2

16 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I watched it on tv and recorded it on a reel to reel tape recorder which is still stuck in a drawer somewhere at my old mums, unless she has binned it. A good scam, we were all taken in. ?

Get the feeling you're in a bit of a contentious mood this morning... I'm sure I don't know why... ?

• Haha 1

No, not a scam or hoax, I made some of the gear that is still on the moon. Might be able to visit it again soon!

I believe that Man has walked on the moon. I likes me some good science. However it was also long before my time. I do however remember Challenger very vividly even though I was quite young at the time. And of course the amazing International Space Station. :D

This makes me laugh though. 

fullsizeoutput_9f1.jpeg

• Haha 2

Underground, getting coal out.....

16 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

Underground, getting coal out.....

Almost forgot about it, C 1971 managed to have saved enough to buy this.  Omega "Moonwatch"

Musta dug a LOT of coal....?

IMG_0449.JPG

I know exactly where I was. Just don’t know where my host was.

I once had a good look into the evidence for and against and my overwhelming conclusion was that it happened. I particularly enjoyed the episode of QI when Alan Davies recounted how he made Patrick Moore livid by suggesting it was faked and Stephen Fry summed up with a pretty merciless description of folk whose view of the capabilities of mankind is framed solely within the limits of what they themselves can comprehend.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 2

As far as I can remember, I did watch the landing live, but not Neil Armstrong stepping down onto the surface. As the latter happened in the middle of the night in UK time, most of us on here probably did the same.

37 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I know exactly where I was. Just don’t know where my host was.

I once had a good look into the evidence for and against and my overwhelming conclusion was that it happened. I particularly enjoyed the episode of QI when Alan Davies recounted how he made Patrick Moore livid by suggesting it was faked and Stephen Fry summed up with a pretty merciless description of folk whose view of the capabilities of mankind is framed solely within the limits of what they themselves can comprehend.

JP

When the Americans landed on the moon, their progress was tracked by the Russians and they congratulated them on their achievement.  This alone makes me believe ir happened as the Russians would not miss any opportunity to get one over the Americans.

• Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, Rickent said:

When the Americans landed on the moon, their progress was tracked by the Russians and they congratulated them on their achievement.  This alone makes me believe ir happened as the Russians would not miss any opportunity to get one over the Americans.

And by Jodrell Bank radio telescope.

• Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Quite so. Even putting aside strong factual evidence the fact that in 50 years there has never been a credible debunking by a state which is opposed to the USA is telling.

JP

I've always got my mind open to these things... but Buzz Aldrin was said to come clean about it to a little girl. (WARNING: American conspiracy vid)

Hey Diddle Diddle a cow jumped over it in 1765. 

I was practicing for the 70's and so cannot remember where I was, what I was doing or even who I was ?

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

Even putting aside strong factual evidence the fact that in 50 years there has never been a credible debunking by a state which is opposed to the USA is telling.

There is in fact no-one who genuinely believes the moon landings were faked. The existence of such people is a complete myth.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

I stayed up nearly all night and watched it on a 14 inch B&W TV (405 lines then - 625 lines was considered "high definition").  There had been quite a build-up on the BBC beforehand, and i think it was the first British all night TV broadcast.  I can remember James Burke trying to keep calm whilst Patrick Moore became quite excited.

I was 17 at the time; my wife, then 14, remembers her father waking her up and telling her to come and watch this - it is history in the making.

Remember that at this time, no one was absolutely sure we would get the astronauts home again.

• Greenie 1

I suspect it would have come out by now had it been fake. Too much evidence and too many nations were watching the event. It makes yet another amusing conspiracy theory though.

14 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

What date in '69?

July?  Summer anyway.

In that case was was in Chatham going through part two training in the RN.

I remember it well - sitting in a cafe near Lake Como having what I thought might be my last holiday ever as I counted down the days to going off on my first foreign contract in Libya - best move I ever made!!!!!! Had 20 years working in Africa and Middle East in more countries than I care to remember - actually wanted to forget a few, but it always worked out in the end.