Northamptonshire Lock restrictions

Leo No2

Featured Posts

Not a stoppage as such but lock opening hours restrictions.

Foxton, Watford, Braunston, Buckby, Northampton Arm, Stoke Bruerne and Cosgrove effective 03-June until further notice opening hours will be 10:00 - 16:00 with last entry at 15:00 - clearly a bit more flexible, I'd imagine, with Cosgrove.  Result of a dry winter and the long range forecast being drier than usual.  Aim, as I understand it, is to keep boating going through the dry summer.

56 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Have heard that these restricted opening hours have been (or are about to be) extended to most major lock flights around the system...Hatton, Wigan etc ?

I have heard that as well Dave - just waiting for the e-mail that confirms it.

• 3 weeks later...

At least the better waterways in Northants don't have any restrictions yet!

Water is running over the gates as normal, however couldn't get onto my favourite mooring on Saturday as bottom is getting nearer the top.

Edited by Loddon

Are they doing the same at Foxton as they were doing when we went last year? Because the pounds down towards Leicester leak so much and needed a lot of topping up, they were padlocking Foxton mid afternoon "to save water" and leaving, then half an hour later when they thought nobody was watching they came back and opened all the paddles to spend all night running water down from the summit.

Just now, matty40s said:

Surprised they locked you in the flight....see you tomorrow,....

Yes mate, I was at lock 10 which was against me so I waited for the boat at 11 to come through and they locked it up and buggered off.

1 hour ago, Keeping Up said:

Are they doing the same at Foxton as they were doing when we went last year? Because the pounds down towards Leicester leak so much and needed a lot of topping up, they were padlocking Foxton mid afternoon "to save water" and leaving, then half an hour later when they thought nobody was watching they came back and opened all the paddles to spend all night running water down from the summit.

They had to run water down to fill up side ponds for our first-of-the-day transit down Foxton this week so, probably, no it's not being run all night. Levels on the run down to Leicester were all fine, and the section felt much more cared-for than previously. The latest CRT re-org has seen the section as far as Kings Lock moved to another area, and it shows. A CRT worker spent the morning checking every lock and clearing every bywash.

MP.

We had issues back in early may with the volunteer locking locks in the Buckby flight well before the declared time for last entry.

His excuse - there is only one of me, and I can't be in 2 places at once.

If they publish a time, they should not be locking up before it IMO.

35 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

We had issues back in early may with the volunteer locking locks in the Buckby flight well before the declared time for last entry.

Absolutely agree.

14 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Yes they are doing Buckby and Watford.  To upside is that they come to unlock Buckby first, so when we came down last month it was all open by 8.30.

Main Line

• Cosgrove open 24 x 7
  • Stoke Bruerne open 10:00 - 16:00 - last entry 15:00
  • Buckby (Lock 8 to Lock 11) open 10:00 - 16:00 - last entry 15:00
  • Braunston open 09:00 to 17:00 - last entry 16:00

Leicester Line

• Watford open 10:00 - 16:00 - last entry 15:15
  • Foxton open 10:00 - 16:00 - last entry 15:15
  • Kibworth (Lock 18 to Lock 22) open 09:00 - 17:00 - last entry 15:30
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Leo No2 said:

Main Line

• Cosgrove open 24 x 7
  • Stoke Bruerne open 10:00 - 16:00 - last entry 15:00
  • Buckby (Lock 8 to Lock 11) open 10:00 - 16:00 - last entry 15:00
  • Braunston open 09:00 to 17:00 - last entry 16:00

Leicester Line

• Watford open 10:00 - 16:00 - last entry 15:15
  • Foxton open 10:00 - 16:00 - last entry 15:15
  • Kibworth (Lock 18 to Lock 22) open 09:00 - 17:00 - last entry 15:30

What about restrictions on the Northampton Arm, not to mention the Oxford Canal ? Some of the Oxford canal is in Northamptonshire!

No restrictions on the River Nene ;)