Grease nipples

Featured Posts

Got a squeaking groaning tiller.Where there should be a grease nipple,there is a screw. Took it to my local fastenings supplier and found it to be,3/16 Whitworth which they didn't have.

Have found a supplier on the web with 5/16 Whitworth nipples but no 3/16.

There are some suppliers with 3/16 push fit nipples, and I wonder if these will do the job.  Anyone know?

Otherwise I will have to drill and tap to a more readily available size. Not a job I fancy because it is in a most awkward place.

52 minutes ago, Chris G said:

Are you sure that they're not BSP (same thread form as Whitworth, I think)?

seems 3/16 BSP are as rare as Whitworth on the web.

Going to order 3/16 drive in nipples as they are only £3-45 for 10,and try one before drilling and tapping.

Sometimes a bit of 'furtling' = judicious bodging can produce a practical result. I was lucky as I had a couple of nipples left over from PVT car days, one of which could be persuaded to do the job. After all - provided that the nipple stays attached and doesn't fall out or lets too much grease out  - the job is done ??

thinks - could it be that a supplier of 'vintage' car parts might have a solution?

Ay port in a storm...

4 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Got a squeaking groaning tiller.Where there should be a grease nipple,there is a screw. Took it to my local fastenings supplier and found it to be,3/16 Whitworth which they didn't have.

Have found a supplier on the web with 5/16 Whitworth nipples but no 3/16.

There are some suppliers with 3/16 push fit nipples, and I wonder if these will do the job.  Anyone know?

Otherwise I will have to drill and tap to a more readily available size. Not a job I fancy because it is in a most awkward place.

I don't recall 3/16" BSP ever existing, it goes fron 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 7/8", 1",

Page 4 of this pdf (and page 6, 8 etc) shows the various sizes of imperial threads that are available for nipples. 

https://mdmetric.com/prod/umeta/grease_nipples_from_UMETA_catalogue_GK84-E_04-2012-2.pdf

And pages 3, 5 etc shows the metric sizes. 

2 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

All the flanged bearings I have seen recently are metric, 6mm 

And M6 is pretty darned close to 3/16”

25 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Page 4 of this pdf (and page 6, 8 etc) shows the various sizes of imperial threads that are available for nipples. 

https://mdmetric.com/prod/umeta/grease_nipples_from_UMETA_catalogue_GK84-E_04-2012-2.pdf

And pages 3, 5 etc shows the metric sizes. 

And M6 is pretty darned close to 3/16”

I think you mean M5.    3/16" is 4.7625mm

If you heat the grease until fluid and bend up a bit of a funnel thing out of a bean tin to pour it into the side hole. Probe the hole clear first with a bit of wire, the opened out end of a split pin is good for that. The fluid grease will thicken again as it cools.

3/16  and  1/4 inch unc threads are used on some cheap flanged bearings, also m5 but this is a fine thread.

Try bike and motorbike parts suppliers. 

If no luck pm me and I will see if I have anything

If the bearing is that bad then you may be better to fit a new insert.

All of the above assumes it is a 2 or 4 bolt cast unit with self aligning bearing.

2 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

We went metric in the 1970s.

No we didnt, some metric things were introduced and some weren't, we kept the pint, foot, mile, mph, 1500m final never caught on, unless Seb Coe was beating Steve Ovett, metric is something slipped in but never actually trusted by the British public.