Converted BCN Day Boat "Xebec"

Featured Posts

A few days ago we met a charming couple on a BCN day boat conversion called "Xebec".

To me the front end, (which I failed to get a usable picture of), looked Bantock like.  There is no gauge plate available.

They have been told the back end was put on by Colecraft.

Does anybody know anything more about this boat, please?

IMG_5988.JPG

I visited Caggys Yard on 04 October 2004 where I spoke with XEBEC's owner Ralph Miles. Mr Miles (proprietor of Caggys Yard) told me XEBEC was his boat and that it was formally owned by somebody in Birmingham, and before that by Caggy Stevens. At that time XEBEC was powered by a 3 cylinder Ruston out of a crane. 

The Index number dates to 1994 :captain:

• 3 years later...
On 16/05/2019 at 17:44, pete harrison said:

I visited Caggys Yard on 04 October 2004 where I spoke with XEBEC's owner Ralph Miles. Mr Miles (proprietor of Caggys Yard) told me XEBEC was his boat and that it was formally owned by somebody in Birmingham, and before that by Caggy Stevens. At that time XEBEC was powered by a 3 cylinder Ruston out of a crane. 

The Index number dates to 1994 :captain:

The Ruston seems to have lost a cylinder since Pete's visit, unless the whole engine has been changed. It now has a Ruston 2VSH according to the sales listing at Glascote Basin

"Engine Room: 8’6”

The main entrance to the accommodation is through the engine room. The engine houses a lovely Ruston and Hornsby 2VSH, which is a great sounding engine! The Engine room also has storage units in each corner."

Possibly Xebec is being discussed in multiple places, I'm not  sure.

Either way, have people noticed this ?

A recent valuation has put a value on the boat higher than the asking price. An insurance survey, undertaken this year has highlighted some necessary remedial works, whilst these aren’t urgent works, they do need to be considered in the near future. The works required are expected to cost in the region of £5,000. 

Due to our current workload we are unable to undertake the works until later in the year and the owner has had a change in circumstances, hence the decision to sell the boat at a lower asking price.

I've seen this boat on our past travels, and am genuinely surprised it shows as 65 feet.  My memory is of something much shorter, so either my memory is wrong, or it has since been shortened.

Scrub that! I can see now that my photograph indicates Xebec was much longer than I recall it being!

Edited by alan_fincher