Flat roll up hose pipe?

Stephen Jeavons

Featured Posts

After my layflat hose developed several leaks to spray passers by, I found a spiral hose for 2 quid at a car boot sale.   Best I've used - very tough and coils up enough to go in the gas locker.

I got a tap attachment for one end and a suitable replacement for the other, for pence each.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

15 hours ago, Johny London said:

It is annoying when cyclists keep running over the hose - or hob nailed inconsiderates, especially when the ground is gravely but mine hasn't actually punctured yet.

Should have added - I too have a short hose (normal type) for when very close to the water, to save unnecessary unfurling of the flat hose. And it can be all joined together - for when some idiot is moored at the water.

Not quite the same but last year when we were at a water point a trip boat full of school kids pulled onto the water point just in front of us. The kids alighted and proceeded to excitedly run up and down the canal edge. A few minutes later I was horrified to discover that the hose was no longer in the well deck water tank but was sat in the doorway expelling water into the cabin. Thankfully I'd discovered it quite quickly but the water still damaged some items that were inside the steps and the cabin floor was awash with water.

The unruly kids had obviously dislodged the hose and I made my feelings very clear to their leader about keeping them under control.

Regarding which hose is the best, I've tried the flat ones and those which you can 'bunch up', but I still find the conventional ones are best despite them taking up more room to store. They are still by far the most common in use and that IMO says something.

Flat hoses are a PITA.  You have to completely unroll them even if you're right next to the tap and then they get all tangled everywhere.  What you want is an expanding hose, something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/XHose-Official-Expanding-Garden-adaptor/dp/B00XN00U2M/ref=asc_df_B00XN00U2M/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=231845867220&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2821326352792213299&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006524&hvtargid=aud-545671390501:pla-451236892524&psc=1

Just don't buy a cheap one, theyy won't last.

37 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

You have to completely unroll them even if you're right next to the tap

Not if you use one of these, mentioned previously in this thread:

Brunner 15 METRE ROLL FLAT FOOD GRADE HOSE WITH CARRIER https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0013T5X0E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nFN3CbJ4BQ8K4

Any recommendations on a good make of the expandable hose pipes currently in the market for one but need one that doesn't take up much room. 

My current old style 15 year old  hose pipe has taken up residence in my bedroom and seems to be permanently in the way. It seems to resent loosing it's old locker to a new spare battery set up. 

5 minutes ago, reg said:

Any recommendations on a good make of the expandable hose pipes currently in the market for one but need one that doesn't take up much room. 

My current old style 15 year old  hose pipe has taken up residence in my bedroom and seems to be permanently in the way. It seems to resent loosing it's old locker to a new spare battery set up. 

I got got this last September and so far so good. Stores into a small bundle and never tangles. Pressure is good through it too. 

Only time will tell if it is any good long term. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0785JVT1S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

13 minutes ago, bmp said:

I got got this last September and so far so good. Stores into a small bundle and never tangles. Pressure is good through it too. 

Only time will tell if it is any good long term. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0785JVT1S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks seems to have good write ups. What would be a good length for a 57ft boat. 50ft? 40ft? (Higher? Lower? Good game). 

7 minutes ago, reg said:

Thanks seems to have good write ups. What would be a good length for a 57ft boat. 50ft? 40ft? (Higher? Lower? Good game). 

I got the 50 foot one. My boat is 52 foot and it stretches to the end from the water tap which is a good 5 or 6 feet from the boat. 

Not sure if would reach 57 foot. 

3 minutes ago, bmp said:

I got the 50 foot one. My boat is 52 foot and it stretches to the end from the water tap which is a good 5 or 6 feet from the boat. 

Not sure if would reach 57 foot. 

OK gone for the 75ft one. 

Wasn't sure if length was expanded length or not, now know its the expanded length so real length is 25ft.

Thanks

1 minute ago, reg said:

OK gone for the 75ft one. 

Wasn't sure if length was expanded length or not, now know its the expanded length so real length is 25ft.

Thanks

Yes it is the expanded length. 

It shrinks down to quite a small size too so very handy for storage.

Just in case you hadn’t noticed the supplied ends are the screw type rather than the push on ones. 

I know you can get adapters but I thought I would just mention it. 

• Greenie 1