Liquid Gasket

Featured Posts

I have an oil filter with a very old tattered rubber 'o' ring seal on the centre bolt. Problem is completely removing the bolt will be a nightmate (half the engine is in the way!). Is there some kind of liquid gasket or other clever contraption i can use without entirely removing the bolt?

(I also have a fuel filter with the same problem)

27 minutes ago, Colin Brendan said:

I have an oil filter with a very old tattered rubber 'o' ring seal on the centre bolt. Problem is completely removing the bolt will be a nightmate (half the engine is in the way!). Is there some kind of liquid gasket or other clever contraption i can use without entirely removing the bolt?

(I also have a fuel filter with the same problem)

Doesn't the O'ring come already installed on the top of the new filter ?

Personally I would say no - don't use liquid gasket.

A rubber O'Ring works differently to a gasket and relies on the compression force of the rubber to maintain a seal - it is designed for 'on-off usage'.

Liquid gasket will just squash down to wherever the two-metal surfaces get to and there will be no compression 

You are going to be changing your filters regularly, why not do a 'proper job' ?

• 4 months later...

It's on a Greaves 2ydm oil filter housing. The bolt that goes through the housing has a rubber seal between the bolt head and the top of the filter housing that is falling appart. Problem is there's a really useful oil pipe in the way to stop you removing the bolt completely and replacing the rubber washer. Maybe i can squeeze a new washer over the bolt head if they are streatchy enough?

10 hours ago, Colin Brendan said:

It's on a Greaves 2ydm oil filter housing. The bolt that goes through the housing has a rubber seal between the bolt head and the top of the filter housing that is falling appart. Problem is there's a really useful oil pipe in the way to stop you removing the bolt completely and replacing the rubber washer. Maybe i can squeeze a new washer over the bolt head if they are streatchy enough?

Probably yes.