Unidentified RCHS Weaver Collection Images

Heartland

Featured Posts

There remains several images to be properly identified. With time some are, but here is one yet to be identified as to location.  No doubt somebody would know?

As well as of noting if correct way round.....

48841.jpg

And this is the CORONA, right way round.

48842.jpg

Edited by Heartland

Bottom one (which wasn't visible when I first posted) is definitely Hillmorton with the steam dredger and what looks like the ex-OCC spoon dredger tucked right in the corner. The joey has a 50/50 chance of being "Pathfinder".

I believe Trevor Maggs was involved in towing the steam dredger away from Hillmorton after its sale, so I wonder if this is a photo of the occasion?

Edited by Rose Narrowboats

2 hours ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

Top one - Cosgrove, taken from just up the Buckingham Arm looking north up the main line? If I'm right, the lock would be just out of shot on the top right.

Yes, I'm sure you are correct.

1 hour ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

Bottom one (which wasn't visible when I first posted) is definitely Hillmorton with the steam dredger and what looks like the ex-OCC spoon dredger tucked right in the corner. The joey has a 50/50 chance of being "Pathfinder".

I believe Trevor Maggs was involved in towing the steam dredger away from Hillmorton after its sale, so I wonder if this is a photo of the occasion?

I could easily believe it is Trevor stood up by Corona's front end.

2 hours ago, pete harrison said:

Bottom of Hillmorton Locks ?

Spot on, is is good too know that the arm/loop there is being dug out and cleared of trees for a possible rewatering soon.

Edited by matty40s

13 hours ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

I do not think this is the occasion of Trevor Maggs removing the Dredger (try not to mention steam or the puffer train boys will take over this thread as well).

By virtue of the fact that CORONA is at Hillmorton Depot with 'British Waterways' painted out I think this is when CORONA was up for disposal. I have the tender form that includes CORONA, but the section I have is undated.

Trevor told me that CORONA was sold to Townthorns School, Rugby in 1963, and I am pretty sure they used it as a trip boat of some sort. Trevor bought CORONA from Townthorns School in January 1968 :captain:

Edited by pete harrison

6 hours ago, Heartland said:

Here is another:

48852.jpg

4 hours ago, archie57 said:

I'm thinking Stourport 

Initially I thought the full length converted motor was FULBOURNE but I am now 99.9% certain it is KENELM (formally G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. EPSOM) - but I have never seen a photograph of KENELM / EPSOM with its full length conversion :captain:

Yes Epsom/Kenelm.  Just beat me but I was identifying it by elimination rather than anything else although the panelled engine room doors are probably a legacy of working with Barlows.  The counter has obviously been rebuilt since then but it still has its towing hook. 

Fulbourne’s conversion is helpfully pictured on their website and has a much more haphazard window arrangement.

Paul

10 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Yes Epsom/Kenelm.  Just beat me but I was identifying it by elimination rather than anything else although the panelled engine room doors are probably a legacy of working with Barlows.  The counter has obviously been rebuilt since then but it still has its towing hook. 

Fulbourne’s conversion is helpfully pictured on their website and has a much more haphazard window arrangement.

Paul

The giveaway for me is the overplated counter with a welded 'spine' behind the rams head. The cabin also has no rise towards the stern and the engine room is not original - all of which are features I remember from when I looked at buying EPSOM in 1988, and from when I subsequently photographed it as such on 29 October 1990.

Come on Ray, next photograph please as this Forum has a good identification success rate so far :captain:

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 19:57, matty40s said:

Spot on, is is good too know that the arm/loop there is being dug out and cleared of trees for a possible rewatering soon.

Difficult to date the picture but the basin was open until circa 1970 when a bund cut it off from the main canal. The photo may just show some water at the Basin entrance but no attempt has been made to park the empty boat in it.  Tree growth at the entrance is fairly advanced but it doesn't take many years for crack willow to grow and fall over in water.  

I was involved as a volunteer in the project to open up the basin again as a mooring for heritage boats on public display, and with the help of IWA Waterways Recovery Group, great progress was made.  When CRT West Midlands took over management of Hillmorton from South East, they pleaded lack of funds as the reason they would not add it to their list of restoration projects so could not oversee the volunteers.  CRT said they could only continue as an independent commercial operation under the rules for building a marina, and insisted that the volunteers lease the basin at full market rent.  So after two years of inactivity the volunteers could not accept that they must pay CRT for restoring their canal as a public heritage asset so the plan to re-water was reluctantly abandoned.   However, having already adopted the Basin under the CRT Volunteer scheme (which is different CRT management) the group of volunteers are now clearing it again to create a sunken garden in time for the 250th anniversary of the death of James Brindley whose last ever canal had reached this very spot on the day he died. So stand by for a party in September 2022 and join in the fun now to make the site ready.  And who knows - the plan for a heritage mooring may rise again.

57 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Is there a web site / book where one can view the Weaver collection please?

No website but The Historic Narrow Boat Club has published a collection of BCN ones:

https://hnbc.org.uk/shop/birmingham-canal-navigations-1950-1977 with detailed captions.

There are plans for a sequel of non-BCN pictures but I’m not sure when.

The Weaver Collection appears to be dispersed between HNBC, R&CHS and CRT Gloucester Museum - some are duplicated though.

Paul

8 minutes ago, Paul H said:

No website but The Historic Narrow Boat Club has published a collection of BCN ones:

https://hnbc.org.uk/shop/birmingham-canal-navigations-1950-1977 with detailed captions.

There are plans for a sequel of non-BCN pictures but I’m not sure when.

The Weaver Collection appears to be dispersed between HNBC, R&CHS and CRT Gloucester Museum - some are duplicated though.

Paul

Thank you.

Edited by Ray T

7 minutes ago, John Brightley said:

I think it's Great Haywood. The buildings in the background match what is there today.

I think you could be right. Taken from the bridge over the junction with the boat where Anglo Welsh hire boats now moor.

10 minutes ago, John Brightley said:

I think it's Great Haywood. The buildings in the background match what is there today.

I started writing earlier that the owner who converted KENELM lived in Newcastle under Lyme, and if I were fitting out a boat in the mid 1960's I would want it fairly close to home. The conversion looks new and incomplete to me, but I did not want to influence any thinking :captain:

Edited by pete harrison

16 hours ago, Heartland said:

Thanks for those responses, sadly these images are not dated. There is also no order to this group, which were separated from others in the slide boxes. Here is another:

48852.jpg

10 hours ago, pete harrison said:

Initially I thought the full length converted motor was FULBOURNE

Fulbourne photographed on the Aylesbury Arm on 19 January 1966. There is a superficial ressemblance, but many of the details are different.

2_020.jpg.01e9ec52e63bdc1e21de555485439011.jpg