CRT Advance Winter 2019/2020 Stoppage Notice/Consultation

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, archie57 said:

Looking forward to seeing how they install a lock ladder at Beeston iron lock...……..

They already recommend not having two narrowboats using it at the same time due to movement of the metal plates. I know a lot of people do this without problems. Could use that restriction and have ladders projecting from the iron sides and make having two narrowboats using the lock impossible. We shall see. Insetting them would involve major excavation behind the side walls, cutting, welding and backfilling. The lock is grade 2 listed according to this site, so any change is going to need approval.

Jen

Well!

It looks to me, at a quick glance, that there is a whole swathe of the midlands left untouched by maintenance next winter!

Except,of coarse. where I was intending to cruise!

But, I will have to get off the Llangollen at the first fall of leaves by the looks of it!

Nipper

I see that CRT has proposed that the Shroppie is closed both before Christmas (Tyrley Locks and Market Drayton Embankment) as well as after Christmas (Audlem Lock 12 and Hack Green).  In past years, it's always been one or other, so giving some chance to go winter boating. A stoppage of almost three months, apart from the usual short window at Christmas, is excessive, and extremely unfair on canalside communities that rely on canal trade.

Does this come about because CRT has now split the management of the Shroppie main line between two areas, with the boundary just south of Audlem?  It all used to come under Northwich.

45 minutes ago, Hastings said:

I see that CRT has proposed that the Shroppie is closed both before Christmas (Tyrley Locks and Market Drayton Embankment) as well as after Christmas (Audlem Lock 12 and Hack Green).  In past years, it's always been one or other, so giving some chance to go winter boating. A stoppage of almost three months, apart from the usual short window at Christmas, is excessive, and extremely unfair on canalside communities that rely on canal trade.

Does this come about because CRT has now split the management of the Shroppie main line between two areas, with the boundary just south of Audlem?  It all used to come under Northwich.

Being based near Nantwich Peter, I feel your pain!

I've been on the Shroppie in this area for nearly thirty years.  Until recently I knew who was responsible for the area, I could contact them with queries or concerns and generally had a good experience.  Since the latest change I haven't a clue who to contact,  there seem to be three different areas within a short distance and no logical division of the way the system is divided.  The people in charge have little or no experience of canals and boating and this area is far from unique within the current set-up of CRT.

I really do wonder where CRT is going.

The old way of keeping a North South route open went out of the window about 5 years ago - the last couple has seen Birmingham have no entry/exit routes at all for part or most of the "non boating season"

CRT dont want us moving in the Winter - something they have been creeping in over the last few years - "end of the boating season" has appeared more than once in CRT releases. However, they still enforce against non compliant boats.

9 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Nice to see that they are finally going to have a look at Stamp End Lock. It has been unreliable for many years.

May Gurney were awarded that contract about 10 years ago(I knew the site manager) but was cancelled due to 'budgetary constraints' before he even got his team together.

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is it?

Can you actually tell the difference? 

Yes

No

ie I can tell the difference and I don't want BW back - taking all things in the round. No major system change is ever neutral, change is exactly what is what is written on the tin. There are plenty of things that I miss (like the old steel lock on the T&M) but overall CaRT seem to me to be more able to adapt to a changing context - and boaters only make up a part of that context. If, for example, boaters were absolute king then we wold not have the situation where use of a restored canal (or even to restore it at all) would be limited by its interim role as a haven for wildlife.

No new structure was ever going to solve all known ills with BW whilst at the same time keeping all the things that even one person liked about the old. 

12 hours ago, Hastings said:

We are based at Overwater & spotted that as well.

It appears to be a plan which focuses the predominant volume of work on the north. Given recent failures maybe that’s no bad thing and is necessary. Better that extended closures are scheduled than done as emergencies.

During the first six week period in November and December I could still cruise from my home mooring to the limits of the CRT network on the Severn at Sharpness, the Trent at Gainsborough and to Uxbridge with all available routes connecting around Birmingham. Going north east is restricted.

In the post-Christmas period which is ten weeks long I can still reach Sharpness, Stratford, Shardlow, Leamington, bottom of Atherstone, Macclesfield, Middlewich, top of Audlem and the BCN via Lapworth, Salford and the Tame Valley. That’s a bigger range than I have ever cruised in any given year when everything is scheduled to be open.

I doubt many boats without home moorings will be naturally affected and you don’t actually have to move many times to remain compliant with the law within the two main periods of stoppages, particularly the first one. The biggest issue in that respect may be the 5 month closure of the GU between Bulls Bridge and Cowley with no reopening over Christmas.

JP

13 hours ago, matty40s said:

CRT dont want us moving in the Winter - something they have been creeping in over the last few years - "end of the boating season" has appeared more than once in CRT releases.

BWB usually tried to keep alternative routes open when planning closures.  I never had real problems in winter.

I see no mention of putting right the monumental b***s up at Minworth - apart from a short stoppage just after the event to move around some of the material, they don't appear to have done anything - are they hoping we've forgotten...…..?