cutlass bearing

Featured Posts

I have changed mine. Quick pull out up a slipway, remove rudder, withdraw propshaft. Used a sabre saw to cut through the glass fibre outer shell of the bearing in a couple of places and it came out easily. Tapped in the new one and reassembled. For once the job all went well, done in a couple of hours. 

I would think that any boatyard that can get your boat out of the water could do it.

Richard

Older designs wit a brass rather than glass fibre shell were retained in the housing by grub screws through the housing into dimples you drilled in the shell. However this was on cruisers where the bearing housing was bolted to the back of the stern post/keel or in an A or P shaft bracket

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Older designs wit a brass rather than glass fibre shell were retained in the housing by grub screws through the housing into dimples you drilled in the shell. However this was on cruisers where the bearing housing was bolted to the back of the stern post/keel or in an A or P shaft bracket

Our 2007 narrowboat is a brass one retained by grub screws. Thought it was a Vetus as prop was but turned out to be Volvo Penta. 1mm thicker brass so had to get it turned down.

• Greenie 1