Lancaster Canal

Steve Manc

Featured Posts

Hi

I am taking my narrowboat boat onto the Lancaster Canal for 17 days. I am considering increasing this.

From the people who have taken their boats onto the Lancaster. How many days would you recommend on the canal to enjoy it to the full?

If I end up there for 30 days is this too much?

I enjoy hiking.

Thanks 

Your reachable walk options really start near Garstang. Grize Dale is a nice valley getting you onto the Bleasedale Moors. Wharton Crag from Tewitfield is another good option. Further afield Farleton Fell and Kirkby Lonsdale depending on transport. Extended walking area takes in Silverdale and Arnside - plenty of options there + a train ride to Grange, a few more. The rest of the Fylde coast is rather flat so depending on your tastes, potentially less interesting. A side trip to Glasson gets you some coastal walks and a bus from Lancaster to Heysham offers a visit to a nuclear power station or more interesting, a walk around Sunderland point. If you have two wheels, there is a lovely cycle way up the coast from Glasson and the Guild Wheel at Preston. Add a trip round the jail and county court in Lancaster and a trip to Carnforth station (steam locos), adds potentially 7-10 days to your cruising and browsing time (~1 week? according to canalplan at a leisurely pace}. Still doable in 17 days but, hopefully some options for your research. Enjoy.

/G

• Greenie 1