Rochdale Stoppage

Mike Todd

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Has the Hysteric Convoy broken something, or is this CRT's way of stopping their progress?

We got through by the skin of our teeth (going down), the pound was empty but CRT had filled it up just as we arrived, and a farmer had phoned to say his field was full of water,  so it is a genuine failure., The convoy is heading up towards this stoppage but a couple of days away, we passed them today, one of them even took a bit of our paint off :).  Its very unfortunate timing but CRT have now fixed it.

...............Dave

5 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Anyone know what an old trunk let-off valve is? (see stoppage notice for Rochdale)?

TRUNK and Valve, is a trunk of wood laid through the bottom of the bank of a canal, by which water can be let out of the canal, by drawing of the valve at its inner end. https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=zvAI1TCXRKcC&pg=PP352&lpg=PP352&dq=trunk+let-off+valve&source=bl&ots=AM3gORuXn5&sig=ACfU3U188ABAO_OpcGTUzL9UQ89L1VeHLQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjQyt2k3JviAhUH3OAKHTTlCpoQ6AEwEXoECAYQAQ#v=onepage&q=trunk let-off valve&f=false

2 hours ago, dmr said:

Its very unfortunate timing but CRT have now fixed it.

I was discussing this stoppage with @alan_fincher this evening.  I reckon they have chucked a tarp and two bags of stone in the canal.

We were wondering if you had got through or not ... you didn't pick up an old tarp on the prop in that pound did you?!

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

Has the Hysteric Convoy broken something, or is this CRT's way of stopping their progress?

It caused a bit of a flutter amongst those of us gathered in Manchester today, heading for the Rose of Lancaster tomorrow. Failing to fix it in time for the convoy would have been something of an embarrassment for CRT!

41 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I was discussing this stoppage with @alan_fincher this evening.  I reckon they have chucked a tarp and two bags of stone in the canal.

We were wondering if you had got through or not ... you didn't pick up an old tarp on the prop in that pound did you?!

Good to meet you today - thanks for pulling up to introduce yourselves.

We were blissfully unaware of any new issues on the Rochdale.

25 minutes ago, David Mack said:

It caused a bit of a flutter amongst those of us gathered in Manchester today, heading for the Rose of Lancaster tomorrow. Failing to fix it in time for the convoy would have been something of an embarrassment for CRT!

Blimey I forgot the earliest convoys would be heading out of Manchester tomorrow.

Still seems some considerable way off for us, having come through Harecastle this morning, and now moored up in the middle of the Cheshire Locks.

Please don't take all the water!

Twas I that was asked yesterday by Ian McCarthy as he did a sterling job helping us up from Manchester, to have a look at Lock 62 when I arrived in Chadderton (Rose of Lancaster) yesterday.

Which I did.

It was that the bottom gates don't close well. But through lack of water I could tell little else.

The pound above was empty and the bottom offside gate to Lock 61 wouldn't close up or open.

The pound above was 9" off weir so I was concerned how far I might have to go today to run water down, so I decided to ring CRT in the morning.

I rang and they were there before I was.

As the low pound above 69 had recovered overnight, some water was now running through the empty pound from the bye-wash.

Amongst all the detritus on the bottom in the empty pound is a large amount that have appears to have come courtesy of Network Rail or whoever, working on the lovely rail bridges above!

Amongst all this was clearly to be seen, a two foot whirlpool with the water disappearing down a hole!

Later the guys reported that it was the wooden plug from a drain off to a colvert that was missing.

But all is now fixed, possibly as The Biscuits suggests and I'm leaving in the morning, although I expect that there will be quite some running of water and the stuck gate is now shut and wants to stay that way.

For whatever reason some of you may suggest, the team from CRT turned out very quickly, woked at it all day and cheerfully sorted it. On each of the times I went up to have a gaup, I met one of them one his way down to pass on progress to me at my boat by the R. Irk aquaduct.

Top marks and thank you all from the helpful ladies on the phone to all involved. You are appreciated.

James

Edited by JamesWoolcock
  • Greenie 1

5 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

Twas I that was asked yesterday by Ian McCarthy as he did a sterling job helping us up from Manchester, to have a look at Lock 62 when I arrived in Chadderton (Rose of Lancaster) yesterday.

James

Particularly impressive as he was helping us down at the same time!  Boat and Horses to Castlefield in exactly 8 hours, would have been quicker if a load of old boats had not got in the way :).

................Dave

8 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Rochdale provided the only prop fouling and it was a big one, took almost an hour to sort out. After than all the way to Castlefield without a weedhatch visit, maybe things are improving??? Did have lots of water so not too much scraping the bottom (except Rochdale). A couple of locals helped us down the Newton Heath "pub" lock. Manchester is depressing, a second lock has now become an underground cavern, suspect the druggies will move in there soon.

Manchester just beat Liverpool in the footie, but in the canal world Liverpool wins hands down.

................Dave

12 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

TRUNK and Valve, is a trunk of wood laid through the bottom of the bank of a canal, by which water can be let out of the canal, by drawing of the valve at its inner end. https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=zvAI1TCXRKcC&pg=PP352&lpg=PP352&dq=trunk+let-off+valve&source=bl&ots=AM3gORuXn5&sig=ACfU3U188ABAO_OpcGTUzL9UQ89L1VeHLQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjQyt2k3JviAhUH3OAKHTTlCpoQ6AEwEXoECAYQAQ#v=onepage&q=trunk let-off valve&f=false

Similar to the config a recent video, referenced on a thread somewhere here?

That one was opened deliberately to check it, I recall. Marvellous what down there right under our keeps!

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Rochdale provided the only prop fouling and it was a big one, took almost an hour to sort out. After than all the way to Castlefield without a weedhatch visit, maybe things are improving??? Did have lots of water so not too much scraping the bottom (except Rochdale). A couple of locals helped us down the Newton Heath "pub" lock. Manchester is depressing, a second lock has now become an underground cavern, suspect the druggies will move in there soon.

Manchester just beat Liverpool in the footie, but in the canal world Liverpool wins hands down.

................Dave

Despite being unlikely to beat Manchester or Liverpool at football, Birmingham treats its canals better than either.

16 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Despite being unlikely to beat Manchester or Liverpool at football, Birmingham treats its canals better than either.

Some of them, but not all of them.

After Stanely locks the run into Liverpool is spectacular, but Brum has a lot more boaty stuff going on.

A few years ago Castlefield was getting good and felt like it come become a Northern copy of GasStreet, but its stalled and is now going backwards Visitor moorings now given over to drab long term moorings (except for the interesting narrow dutch barge), all very silted up. Waterfront pubs closed (except for the Wharf) and likely going to be more and more housing.  Some moorings on the car park side but that's the domain of bottle smashing youth and drug dealers. Such a waste of potential.

More and more high rise building next to the Rochdale, and even over the top of it, so its turning into a sort of sunken sewer, no wonder the locals throw their rubbish (and themselves) into it.

..............Dave  

Get yer flat cap on, and yer bib and brace overalls and they might just let you wind a paddle as long as you do it exactly as you are told. :)

.............Dave

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, dmr said:

Get yer flat cap on, and yer bib and brace overalls and they might just let you wind a paddle as long as you do it exactly as you are told. :)

.............Dave

All the lockwheeling is done by trained whippets.:)

7 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

What's this convoy then? Over summit tomorrow or Saturday? I live near summit so might find time to come and wind a paddle or two up the hill. 

First convoy is at Littleborough tonight and aiming for Walsden tomorrow.

1 hour ago, BilgePump said:

When will the next convoy leave Manchester? I'm going to go up to Hebden Bridge next weekend but I live near the Rochdale canal and would love to see some of them on their way up there.

I can't see any issue with naming which boats are planned to go each day, so here is the latest list we have seen.......

From Manchester 15/05/19:   Starting 7:00 am from Lock 83
Warbler & Plover
Stanton & Beatty
Aldgate & Bath

Thea & Thor
Squire & Belfast

From Manchester 17/05/19:  Starting 8:00 am from Lock 83

Bream & The Earl

Pensax

Achilles & Ian

Forget Me Not & Hazel

From Manchester 20/05/19:  Starting 8:00 am from Lock 83
Saltaire & Flamingo
Swan & Daphne

Clover & Tasmania
Joel & Maria

• Greenie 1

Just nipped down the the cut to catch them going up the hill. I was aiming for Hebden for the bank holiday myself, didn't know about the gathering. 

IMG_20190517_111100.jpg

6 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I can't see any issue with naming which boats are planned to go each day, so here is the latest list we have seen.......

Cheers Alan, just saw this after I left the house. Been down Newton Heath 'pub' lock 69 and it seems a real struggle for them getting through.

21 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

Cheers Alan, just saw this after I left the house. Been down Newton Heath 'pub' lock 69 and it seems a real struggle for them getting through.

Can you see why they are struggling there? We got through that one up and down with no navigational trouble, just a bit of drunk local hassle on the way up.

Failsworth top lock will be more interesting, that's silted at the entrance, and heavily silted near the top gates. The entire wide bit of the pound below that lock is a bit shallow. We went down earlier this week, pound was full, our water tank was full to the brim so only drawing 29 inches, and it was still a bit marginal, had to flush out of the lock.

..................Dave

Lack of water, simple as, seems to be the prime problem but they did also seem to have a lot of crud in the water. There was a CRT guy cycled past me at Failsworth basin about 1.30 to let more water down and he said they were about an hour behind on their way up.  Found the boats at the New Crown, lock 69 about 3pm.  Left there about 5 where I was chatting with the crew from Hazel for a while still waiting to get into 69.