Boat theming?

Jirmette

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its your boat, call it whatever makes you happy. If you sell the boat the new owner can change it

I think this overlooks the point made by Neil2 just above, in post 72.

Yes do what makes you happy, but bear in mind passers-by WILL pass comment on a themed boat, and often in a most uncomplimentary manner. The OP might well find unsympathetic comments about the 'theme' impinge on their happiness quite heavily.

Witness some of the (so far restrained) comments all ready made about the 'frogs with wineglasses' theme. Anyone with a boat so themed might be quite upset to hear me or Dave expressing our thoughts on the frog theme using more forthright towpath language.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think this overlooks the point made by Neil2 just above, in post 72.

Yes do what makes you happy, but bear in mind passers-by WILL pass comment on a themed boat, and often in a most uncomplimentary manner. The OP might well find unsympathetic comments about the 'theme' impinge on their happiness quite heavily.

Witness some of the (so far restrained) comments all ready made about the 'frogs with wineglasses' theme. Anyone with a boat so themed might be quite upset to hear me or Dave expressing our thoughts on the frog theme using more forthright towpath language.

I heard yesterday by towpath walkers that our boat ‘was not like others because it was old  and we couldnt afford to put a cabin on it’

my restraint (unusually) was admirable, I simply carried on pumping up the tyre on my bike...

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

I heard yesterday by towpath walkers that our boat ‘was not like others because it was old  and we couldnt afford to put a cabin on it’

my restraint (unusually) was admirable, I simply carried on pumping up the tyre on my bike...

People can be so rude, at my age I'm not sure why this still shocks me.

Its teflon to me just funny. Im a scruffy bugger and retired so dont bother much.

however on the boat the paintwork shines the brasses are done, you could load it tomorrow with 25 tons of coal tomorrow!

i learned many years ago never judge a book by its cover.  One of the maddest ( clinically insane ) people i ever worked with was a multi millionaire and he was scruffier than I am...

• Greenie 2

28 minutes ago, Jirmette said:

People can be so rude, at my age I'm not sure why this still shocks me.

When it comes to canal boats it does seem that we are fair game for anyone with an opinion, informed or otherwise. 

Passing a line of boats recently one guy pointed at us and shouted you've got an awful lot of water coming out of your boat.  I'd be really worried if I hadn't, I shouted back, leaving him puzzled, hopefully for the rest of the day, or at least until someone explained to him what raw water cooling is.   

One of the funniest i had was at ellesmere port , in 1986. Two elderly blokes walked the full length of our boat Guccc Thaxted. This boat was twisted from an impact with a lighter in the 50s. He walked from the stern to the bow shook his head and said ‘ wrong size rivets , I nearly dropped the brasso rag in the cut laughing.

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And not a mention of boats anywhere in your link. 

Why are you suggesting them?

Because Maidstone is handy for most of the canal system presumably! 

Also you need to put something as your very first forum post.