Boat theming?

Jirmette

Featured Posts

There's nothing wrong with heavy personalisation of a boat if you accept that it may not be to everybody's tastes if you come to sell it on. Consequently you may have to make a concession on the price or be prepared to make it look more 'vanilla' prior to a sale. There is also the question of 'doubling up' the impression it makes on a daily basis. If you have a very quirky boat and treat other canal users with the respect you would expect yourself then it can make the more lighthearted smile a bit more and brighten up the waterways. However, if you have a similarly brightly painted themed boat and treat other users with contempt then many will think that you are a doublefold plonker. Thankfully, I can't say I've come across too many in the latter bracket. As for Trotter's Independent (or whatever its actual name is), that boat always makes me smile, more so when it gained the Robin Reliant. It's fun, shows soul and I know that the skipper is an experienced and considerate boater (or always has been whenever we've passed or he waited for me to execute a turn in Bugsworth upper basin).

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, BilgePump said:

There's nothing wrong with heavy personalisation of a boat if you accept that it may not be to everybody's tastes if you come to sell it on.

And you don't mind being sniggered at sometimes.

A good example being those boats one sees from time to time with dancing frogs painted down the sides gayly waving champagne glasses around. I find myself wondering what on earth the owners were thinking of when commissioning the art. 

1 hour ago, Horace42 said:

Thanks for the link. But I was curious about what it might cost for a narrowboat.

Has anybody had it done?

I’m sure they’d be happy to give an estimate over the phone. I recall a leopard skin wrap at Crick a few years ago. A narrowboat is certainly easier to wrap than a car (it’s mostly large slabs) but it’ll obviously use much more vinyl than a car. My wild guess would be in the region of £3-4k

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And you don't mind being sniggered at sometimes.

A good example being those boats one sees from time to time with dancing frogs painted down the sides gayly waving champagne glasses around. I find myself wondering what on earth the owners were thinking of when commissioning the art. 

Its obvious what they were thinking of you just havent thought it through.

they think that frogs dance when drinking champagne in a gay fashion.

After years of working in psychiatry I discovered that few people are responsible for what they think. It explains many things including christianity , brexit and personalised number plates.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, koukouvagia said:

I don't mind Latin names providing the Latin's correct.  Often it isn't :(

Co-incidental you should say that.  Today, I passed a garden centre called "Hortus Loci" and I wondered if it was actually correct Latin, and if 'locus' might actually be the singular. And thought to myself "Jim would know"...

24 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Co-incidental you should say that.  Today, I passed a garden centre called "Hortus Loci" and I wondered if it was actually correct Latin, and if 'locus' might actually be the singular. And thought to myself "Jim would know"...

A posh name for a mundane one ?

11 hours ago, Horace42 said:

Thanks for the link. But I was curious about what it might cost for a narrowboat.

Has anybody had it done?

A friend had his boat wrapped and lots of graphics added. the cost was a hell of a lot less than a paint job. The new owner who bought the boat in December loves all the graphics and has kept them even though they are easily removed. If you google " Muddy waters narrowboat " there are lots of fotos of it on line showing the graphics. The whole boat was first wrapped in light green.

Edited by mrsmelly

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Syntactically it doesn't make any sense.  A google of their website shows that they think it means "Garden Places".  It is just two unconnected Latin words: "Garden. Places".  A better translation would be " Loci hortenses".

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

I don't mind Latin names providing the Latin's correct.  Often it isn't :(

So I assume that you approved of the name we gave to our boat Jim? athough I believe it was it was actually Roman rather than Latin.  Named Helvetia after the country of my Grandfather's birth, but very few people seemed to know what it meant!

2 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

So I assume that you approved of the name we gave to our boat Jim? athough I believe it was it was actually Roman rather than Latin.  Named Helvetia after the country of my Grandfather's birth, but very few people seemed to know what it meant!

Font of all knowledge, you are David! 

• Haha 2

If you give your boat a joke name, or some sort of clever pun, or other slightly humorous feature, then do remember that, at best, these things are only funny the first time that you see them and can soon get a bit tedious, you will have to look at them everyday. I do not split my sides laughing everytime I see yet another "narrow escape".

..............Dave

The most cringeworthy 'clever' name I see once in a while is "Miss T. Morning"

Oh my sides, how I laughed when I figured that one out. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The most cringeworthy 'clever' name I see once in a while is "Miss T. Morning"

Oh my sides, how I laughed when I figured that one out. 

We had a house band at one place I worked called ‘Misty Morning’. They were succeeded by ‘Delta Dawn’ who were in turn succeeded by ‘Moonlight’. I was wondering if the next lot would be called ‘Foggy Afternoon’

On 14/05/2019 at 17:21, Jennifer McM said:

Echoing what's been said above - do what pleases you, what makes you happy.

Funnily enough, for some reason I was reading something with a Latin quote (I know some on here don't like Latin names), the quote was 'MULTUM IN PARVO'. I had to look it up, it means 'MUCH IN A SMALL SPACE' - couldn't help thinking it would be a great name for a boat.

Welcome to the Forum, it's a great forum, you'll find lots of help here.

Been to Rutland lately then? 

13 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Straight up and down with no curly bit sticking out at the edges?

• Haha 1

On 15/05/2019 at 20:36, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thorn in David’s side, peeps asking why he named his bote after a font, lol!  

Very true, but how many of those asking knew that Helvetica was Latin for Swiss.

30 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Very true, but how many of those asking knew that Helvetica was Latin for Swiss.

Which is why the (free) Swiss font is all but identical to (the not free) Helvetica. 

I’m surprised by the notion that very few people know the Swiss’ name for their own country. I wouldn’t have thought it that obscure.

I regularly meet folk who know what Vulpes means. I meet fewer who pronounce it correctly.

It’s a themed boat. It’s had the same basic colour scheme and same name for 50 years.

JP

10 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Up to a point, Lord Copper.  Caesar uses the word Helvetius/a/um to refer to the land or the people; but Helveticus/a/um, a rarer form, is used to refer to a battle -as in the phrase Helveticum proelium.