Boat theming?

Jirmette

Featured Posts

I have no idea if I'm opening a can or worms here so apologise if I am, I appreciate that these topics can become emotive, but what are general thoughts on theming a boat?

We want to rename our boat after my late parents, we also have a theme in mind that is linked to them and specific special memories, I'm not a gawdy person so would want it done tastefully, but appreciate it'd be changing the look of the boat quite significantly, hence after opinions please.

Thank you - please be nice, I'm new and vulnerable!

4 minutes ago, Jirmette said:

I have no idea if I'm opening a can or worms here so apologise if I am, I appreciate that these topics can become emotive, but what are general thoughts on theming a boat?

We want to rename our boat after my late parents, we also have a theme in mind that is linked to them and specific special memories, I'm not a gawdy person so would want it done tastefully, but appreciate it'd be changing the look of the boat quite significantly, hence after opinions please.

It is your boat and how you name and present it is absolutely your business.

There's a narrowboat moored near us called 'Spud'. On its side is a painting of a terrier. It turns out that Spud was their beloved pet and so the boat is named (and illustrated) in his memory. Some people may find this "naff", but that's their problem.

Edited by Athy

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

It is your boat and how you name and present it is absolutely your business.

There's a narrowboat moored near us called 'Spud'. On its side is a painting of a terrier. It turns out that Spud was their beloved pet and so the boat is named (and illustrated) in his memory. Some people may find this "naff", but that's their problem.

Thank you :)

Live life on the edge. You only get one chance, so do what YOU want to make yourself happy, ( within reason ? ), and if anyone doesn't like it then it's their problem not yours.

• Greenie 1

Totally agree with all that's been said, bottom line is that it's your boat & you can do what you like - provided you realise that you will probably get a fair bit of interest as you cruise around!

I themed my last boat on Star Trek & got all the usual associated guff, but it was all in good fun & besides, most people that will comment to you about it will be genuinely interested in how you came up with it, so look on it as good ice breaker when meeting people.

Most of all, have fun!

Edited by BargeeSpud
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Rickent said:

As above , do exactly as you please, it's your boat.

Hmm, it is possible to go a bit far with that approach - I've seen one or two which are a bit iffy. 

Doesn't sound for a moment that @Jirmette the OP will be exploring the envelope of acceptability though, does it, so I broadly agree.

• Greenie 1

If you want to make your boat individual,go ahead.

I have seen a few rather "odd" boats eg.one that had the front and tail end of a Reliant grafted on,complete with Delboy graphics.Another (three) linked together in line complete with "a Towing"sign on.All painted purple.

If you are not interfering with anyone's rght to enjoy the canals,do what you want.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Hmm, it is possible to go a bit far with that approach - I've seen one or two which are a bit iffy. 

Doesn't sound for a moment that @Jirmette the OP will be exploring the envelope of acceptability though, does it, so I broadly agree.

It is possible to go over the top, I agree with what you say but our over the top may not be their over the top, so it's all a matter of opinion and it is their boat to do with what they want.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Rickent said:

It is possible to go over the top, I agree with what you say but our over the top may not be their over the top, so it's all a matter of opinion and it is their boat to do with what they want.

Fazakerley,  which is why I broadly agree.  Having  "Sloak-xxxx" displayed on your boat, however, and mooring  where children will read it is onr example I've seen where I think everyone's OTT filter ought to already have kicked in! :o

Edited by Sea Dog
Added the emoji to show I'm not really getting all that bent out of shape and prudish.
  • Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, MHS said:

Assuming you want to keep the boat long term, go for it. 

If you might sell in 2-3 years, you may devalue it, or make it harder to sell. 

If you keep the "distinctive" features, yes. I remember, when we were shopping for our first boat, seeing a Springer called 'Thai'tanic' which was tricked out in red and gold with bits stuck on to make it look like (I assume) an ancient Siamese warship. That one probably proved a hard sell.

46 minutes ago, Jirmette said:

Why on earth are you asking this here. It's your boat, your ideas just go for it. What people think, especially a bunch of minority keyboard warriors, is irrelevant. Just do it.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Jirmette said:

........ thoughts on theming a boat

Bear in mind that you do not necessarily need to have your boat painted to get your desired outcome; you could have it vinyl wrapped.

Example here: Wrapping

Their website: HERE

I hear tell the advantage of wrap over paint is you can incorporate (actual) photos, as well as see computerised impressions of the end result too. I think, but I could be wrong, that a wrap is removeable. This could be useful if you decided to sell the boat.

Some vinyl wrap artists work on a mobile basis, which is handy for a 16-ton boat ?

Usual disclaimer. I picked the example at random from a Google search and have no relationship, financial or otherwise with "itsawrapuk".

• Happy 1

5 minutes ago, sans allumette said:

Bear in mind that you do not necessarily need to have your boat painted to get your desired outcome; you could have it vinyl wrapped.

I hear tell the advantage of wrap over paint is you can incorporate (actual) photos, as well as see computerised impressions of the end result too. I think, but I could be wrong, that a wrap is removeable. This could be useful if you decided to sell the boat.

Some vinyl wrap artists work on a mobile basis, which is handy for a 16-ton boat ?

Usual disclaimer. I picked the example at random from a Google search and have no relationship, financial or otherwise with "itsawrapuk".

Fantastic, thank you for that link :)

1 hour ago, Jirmette said:

Do as you wish but pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeese dont put so and so and family on the side :o no one realy cares what you are called and its as naff as so called " Private number plates " on a car!!

• Greenie 1

Cor that wrapping stuff is good innit. Saw a really nicely painted boat on Saturday, going to go back and take a photo of it, photoshop our boat name onto it and Bingo! Jobs a good 'un (only joking.... and yet....maybe....)

Echoing what's been said above - do what pleases you, what makes you happy.

Funnily enough, for some reason I was reading something with a Latin quote (I know some on here don't like Latin names), the quote was 'MULTUM IN PARVO'. I had to look it up, it means 'MUCH IN A SMALL SPACE' - couldn't help thinking it would be a great name for a boat.

Welcome to the Forum, it's a great forum, you'll find lots of help here.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, sans allumette said:

The only problem with a complete vinyl wrap is if say a side panel gets damaged when forced against the trees on the offside. Paint is easier to touch up.

A good compromise would be a painted shell with vinyl lettering, photos and other themed graphics.

5 hours ago, sans allumette said:

Just had a look at the links. Amazing !

What sort of cost ??.