Scrapping old batteries

blackrose

Featured Posts

A couple of years ago  took  a four  dud 110Ah batteries  to our local  household recycling centre and noticed how keen the guys were to take them off me . They were whisked  away   in the blink of an eye . At the time I had not realised they would have any scrap value.

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

I was once told, by a wise, not too old, man, to fill each battery to the rim with tap water. Adds weight. 

I didnt!

And I've heard that even less scrupulous people add sand. Even heavier! 

5 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

You could even add lead!!

I never thought of that!!!!

Mind you I didn't even think of topping them up with water last time I weighed any in. Far too honest, moi. 

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

I got 30 quid for my last set of old batteries about 5 years ago. Are they worth anything these days or does everyone just take them to the council recycling centre?

They'll fetch enough cash to be worth-while weighing in. I got £66 for a set of six a couple of weeks ago. 

Be aware that you don't get cash, these days, instead it's a cheque or bank transfer, and you need photo-ID and address-ID. New laws, NOT from the EU.

MP.

52 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Be aware that you don't get cash, these days, instead it's a cheque or bank transfer, and you need photo-ID and address-ID. New laws, NOT from the EU.

If I have 6+ then a man comes and collects them and pays in 'real money'.

Why bother traipsing miles to a scrapyard ?

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Be interesting to know if he's complying with the law, and if so, how?

I suspect that if he's not a licensed waste carrier, you could be in trouble, at least in theory.

MP.

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

When we ran the garage we used to have a similar man in a van. Pretty sure he took them into the countryside and broke them up, letting the acid run into the ditch. Most of the time let them build up then take them in the pickup to Cohens and go on the weigh bridge.

45 minutes ago, pearley said:

When we ran the garage we used to have a similar man in a van. Pretty sure he took them into the countryside and broke them up, letting the acid run into the ditch.

Yet you allowed him to do so which is far worse.

• Greenie 1

We get £9-10 for every 110ah battery weighed in, we have a cheap comes round in his van who offers us £8, if we are too busy to get to scrappy, we let him have some......he doesn't strip them, just does what we do with a van full.

23 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Thanks for the info. I'll try to find somewhere that pays for scrap batteries around here.. I've got 3 at 39kg each. Picking them up off the floor is a killer!

Mine are 53kgs each - try lifting 6 of them into a battery box whilst lying on your side !!!

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Mine are 53kgs each - try lifting 6 of them into a battery box whilst lying on your side !!!

I wouldn't fancy that. I don't like moving them around.

I used to know a guy on a static boat without shore power who used to take batteries to work to charge them up. (He did lots of other stupid things too.) One day he set down a battery rather heavily onto the balance beam of a lock gate and it blew up in his face! He had to dunk his whole head into the canal. 

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I had six of those at 54 kilos each. I had pikeys come and take them away so they made a few quid. sod the money,  humping them was not worth the hassle or a knackered back, or knackered car!!

12 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

They'll fetch enough cash to be worth-while weighing in. I got £66 for a set of six a couple of weeks ago. 

MP.

When I got rid of a scrap washing machine a while ago, all that they asked for was a vehicle registration number which was difficult since I no longer have a car. We sort of negotiated our way around it (partly with the argument of 'how many burglars are going to break into a house to nick a washing machine?:unsure:) but I think these new laws are to try to stop the theft of materials and batteries (stolen from parked lorries) and copper cable (stolen from the railway) will always raise questions.

• Greenie 1