This is not just a narrowboat . It's a M&S Narrowboat.

Momac

Featured Posts

22 hours ago, WotEver said:

Yeah, not really sure what hubby is doing...

Me neither! Looks to me as if the boat's part way down but he's winding the paddle down, even though the boat's in the middle of the lock, not cilled.

However it's possibly the right decision in the circumstances, until he's got the two teenagers in off the roof, that's not a very safe place for them to be. Perhaps one of them ought to be on the opposite side of the lock with a windlass anyway. Also, tying the centre line to a bollard instead of having someone at the stern is not good, in a deeper lock that could be dangerous.

By the end of the ad he's got the paddle up again but he says nothing's happening. Maybe by then the lock's almost empty and he makes the common mistake of wondering why the gates won't open because he can't see much water moving; at least that's fairly plausible. 

1 minute ago, Peter X said:

Me neither! Looks to me as if the boat's part way down but he's winding the paddle down, even though the boat's in the middle of the lock, not cilled.

However it's possibly the right decision in the circumstances, until he's got the two teenagers in off the roof, that's not a very safe place for them to be. Perhaps one of them ought to be on the opposite side of the lock with a windlass anyway. Also, tying the centre line to a bollard instead of having someone at the stern is not good, in a deeper lock that could be dangerous.

By the end of the ad he's got the paddle up again but he says nothing's happening. Maybe by then the lock's almost empty and he makes the common mistake of wondering why the gates won't open because he can't see much water moving; at least that's fairly plausible. 

Maybe he's just been winding it up and down for half a day for the M&S film crew, which got CRT to announce a stoppage for half a day out of 'cruising season ' in thanks for the amount of volunteer hours that M&S staff give to the waterways (quite a lot actually) .

The people who directed and made the final cut probably didnt care about the continuity of paddle gear, just about the Spagbol. 

• Love 1

22 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Owning a boat means theres no way i could buy food at M and S....

I think the advert proves M&S dont discriminate against boat owners . I am confident you would be allowed in the shop.

Oops, my earlier post got it badly wrong. In the opening frames the boat is facing uphill, so I think the man should be lowering the paddle because he's just realized that if he goes on filling the lock his centre line tied to the bollard will make the boat heel over. That'd get the teenagers off the roof.