Mooring, Whilton, Gayton or Blisworth?

Jirmette

Featured Posts

Does anyone have any recommendations or experience of these 3 marinas please, they're the closest to us, as we'll be using our boat at weekends mainly, having it close to him is the best scenario for us.   Costwise they seem pretty similar, also with access to routes.   We'll go and have a look at them all, but recommendations are always welcome. Thank you. :)

Gayton is the best of the three I  my opinion.

Had a particularly bad experience when our shareboat was moored at one of the others. PM me for details if you are interested.

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect.
  • Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Gayton is the best of the three I  my opinion.

Had a particularly bad experience when our shareboat was moored at one of the others. PM me for details if you are interested.

Thank you, Gayton is the one we're leaning towards, I don't know how realistic availability is but we like the fact that you can use other marinas in the group, it's also the closest of the 3 to our home.

22 minutes ago, Jirmette said:

Thank you, Gayton is the one we're leaning towards, I don't know how realistic availability is but we like the fact that you can use other marinas in the group, it's also the closest of the 3 to our home.

So long as you are comfortable with driving your car over a very narrow swing bridge.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

So long as you are comfortable with driving your car over a very narrow swing bridge.

We had a short stay at Gayton about one year ago. Very friendly and they were upgrading the car parks. Not all berths required you to cross the swing bridge. 

• Happy 1

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You also have Bugbrooke, Heyford Fields, Willows(formerly High House), Stowe Hill, and Concoform marinas on that stretch.

Thank you, we didn't know about these! 

9 hours ago, Jirmette said:

Does anyone have any recommendations or experience of these 3 marinas please, they're the closest to us, as we'll be using our boat at weekends mainly, having it close to him is the best scenario for us.   Costwise they seem pretty similar, also with access to routes.   We'll go and have a look at them all, but recommendations are always welcome. Thank you. :)

Everything else being equal it really comes down to whether you prefer the sound of trains or cars.

• Greenie 1

Another vote for Gayton  (but no experience of the others) - helpful and friendly staff. Discount for moorers in chandlery, pump out, gas etc. I trust their fuel as they have a high turnover with their own fleet, and share boats.

• Greenie 1

We moored at Blisworth for three years. We found it a very pleasant marina, friendly and with good facilities but tight for mooring if you're moored opposite a full length boat and very noisy being in an angle between the West Coast mainline and the A43. As we were moored on the south-east side, we also found carting everything over the footbridge a bit trying.

• Greenie 1

I'm sat in Heyford Fields Marina at the moment.

Nice and quiet here! If you really try, you can just hear the trains, but certainly not a problem. Loads of space for manoeuvring on/off your moorings. Bit tricky if theres a strong northerly breeze as it sweeps over the Nene Valley, but then I've not been in a marina yet that doesn't have a similar problem. I remember Overwater being notably tricky in windy conditions!

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, matty40s said:

With the case of whilton you also get regular whining Kart racing weekends and some midweek evenings!

.... or you could see it as a plentiful supply of side fenders!

25 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Bit squashy, we prefer the gliding centre cast offs, bit more rigid.

I had no idea that there were grades of side fender tyres... I agree the kart one creek a bit, it's like having a built in speed sensor ?