Why. Just why !!!!!

Rickent

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Rumsky said:

You seem to just be winding yourself up about this rather than doing one of the many things that could resolve or make the issue disappear completely. 

All I see in the OP is an enquiring mind, seeking to understand why people do it. 

In you however, all I see is a judgemental mind quick to condemn.

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, Rickent said:

The first image is looking towards my boat, it is there in the distance, the second image is from the same spot looking the other way, plenty of space to moor away from anybody and run your engine to your hearts content.

20190513_152511.jpg

20190513_152523.jpg

I've just "dun" the Leicester ring clockwise (the locks are a bit of a challenge compared to anti-clockwise) and it seemed moorings for "paper clip" hooks are few and far between. Many of the pilings don't have horizontal crash barriers for hooks (as in your photo) which I concluded, after a bit of trial and error,was because it was too shallow to moor although local knowledge may correct that assumption. Does your "isolated" mooring have the horizontals? Perhaps it's deep enough to moor and a popular spot that you happened to find empty.

Just sayin' like.

5 hours ago, nikvah said:

I've just "dun" the Leicester ring clockwise (the locks are a bit of a challenge compared to anti-clockwise) and it seemed moorings for "paper clip" hooks are few and far between. Many of the pilings don't have horizontal crash barriers for hooks (as in your photo) which I concluded, after a bit of trial and error,was because it was too shallow to moor although local knowledge may correct that assumption. Does your "isolated" mooring have the horizontals? Perhaps it's deep enough to moor and a popular spot that you happened to find empty.

Just sayin' like.

Yes, there is armco rail all the way down that stretch.

Perfect mooring with nappy pins.

10 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

Sell the boat, buy a camper van...…..

At least on a canal boat you get, more or less, to choose where you moor for yourself. Those extolling the greater virtues of caravans/camper vans should recognise that on most camp sites (you cannot just pitch up beside the road) you have to book ahead, use the pitch allocated to you an be just feet away from your neighbour (or at least that is how it seems to me) I'd much rather have the canals where, at the price of the occasional proximity, you get a large degree of freedom.

4 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

. Those extolling the greater virtues of caravans/camper vans should recognise that on most camp sites (you cannot just pitch up beside the road) you have to book ahead, 

Why not? If it's legal to park a car on a particular road or lay-by, what prevents a camper van from doing so?

Edited by Athy

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Why not? If it's legal to park a car on a particular road or lay-by, what prevents a camper van from doing so?

Most lay by (at least in popular areas, have specific notices, backed by law, that forbid overnight stays. There are also issues with procedures aimed really at Travellers whose lives are often made quite difficult by harassment. In most cases, there is no room on road to park (used to be tackled by application of Obstruction laws) and anything off road is privately owned (even if by the local authority) The number of places on-road where you can ambiguously park overnight even a car is diminishing.

If you move away because a boat moors very close, the issue doesn't disappear, merely that particular boat.

The issue will resurface at your next choice of isolated mooring, when close neighbours instantly gather.

If boaters could begin to appreciate that if a boat has moored in a solitary spot (like the o.p. photos) it is by choice, and if it's necessary to moor, leave three or four boat lengths, then everyone can enjoy it.

I also read the o.p. as an attempt at understanding the motivation of some boaters, rather than being critical.

Rog

19 minutes ago, dogless said:

I also read the o.p. as an attempt at understanding the motivation of some boaters, rather than being critical.

A distinction far too subtle for some of the contributors to this thread...

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

If its peace your after it might be worth cross eamining any neighbours that turn up or before you moor there. A cross examination list could be compled.  

Do you have a massive battery bank.   Do you have a massively powerful inverter or Travel Power. Do you have a generator. Do you have powerful electrical gizzmo's. Are you or are you not on that wretched CWDF 24/7. or Facebook.  Do you have a calorifier instead of a quiet instantaneious gas water heater. Do you use electric lights instead of candles. Have you a noisy dog.  Have you a noisy Mrs or noisy husband,  Does anyone snore.     

Its questions like these one needs to inquire about and then make up your mind whether to move on or not or buy a good quality gas mask and ear muffs.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bizzard said:

If its peace your after it might be worth cross eamining any neighbours that turn up or before you moor there. A cross examination list could be compled.  

Do you have a massive battery bank.   Do you have a massively powerful inverter or Travel Power. Do you have a generator. Do you have powerful electrical gizzmo's. Are you or are you not on that wretched CWDF 24/7. or Facebook.  Do you have a calorifier instead of a quiet instantaneious gas water heater. Do you use electric lights instead of candles. Have you a noisy dog.  Have you a noisy Mrs or noisy husband,  Does anyone snore.     

Its questions like these one needs to inquire about and then make up your mind whether to move on or not or buy a good quality gas mask and ear muffs.

"Do you have a big hi-fi system? Are you a fan of heavy mental music?"

21 minutes ago, Athy said:

"Do you have a big hi-fi system? Are you a fan of heavy mental music?"

Or do you practice Caribbean music by beating on steel oil drums with sticks.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

Maybe the "rant over" at the end of my original post made it sound as if I was more annoyed than I actually was, I wasn't really annoyed at all , I just couldn't understand why someone would moor so close when there was hundreds of yards of quality mooring spots ahead.

I am just starting my fifth year as a liveaboard and love everything about it.

I love the fact that you can moor in isolation if desired, I love mooring near other boats in busy spots but I really enjoy meeting and interacting with other boaters as the boating community is full of great people. I am really intersted in what motivates people to moor so close and then run a  engine untill 10pm, this is the bit I really don't get. 

Are there really people out there that go out of their way just to annoy others ?

4 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Maybe the "rant over" at the end of my original post made it sound as if I was more annoyed than I actually was, I wasn't really annoyed at all , I just couldn't understand why someone would moor so close when there was hundreds of yards of quality mooring spots ahead.

I love the fact that you can moor in isolation if desired, I love mooring near other boats in busy spots but I really enjoy meeting and interacting with other boaters as the boating community is full of great people. I am really intersted in what motivates people to moor so close and then run a  engine untill 10pm, this is the bit I really don't get. 

Are there really people out there that go out of their way just to annoy others ?

Our dear old friend Arthur Marshall professes to do so by continually blowing his trombone.   There are a few others too on here that keep blowing their own trumpet.  :)

• Happy 1

23 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Our dear old friend Arthur Marshall professes to do so by continually blowing his trombone.   There are a few others too on here that keep blowing their own trumpet.  :)

Must be extremely flexible then.?

there are some great peeps in the narrow boating world .you think so ....rickent ..well let me tell you .there are just as many horrible nasty people you will ever want to meet .in it as well ..so i would say to you my friend .just enjoy the times your allowed to enjoy .and leave the rest that you dont enjoy  outside your boat ...and cruise on and on and on and on 

o9h and rnjoy 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

At least on a canal boat you get, more or less, to choose where you moor for yourself. Those extolling the greater virtues of caravans/camper vans should recognise that on most camp sites (you cannot just pitch up beside the road) you have to book ahead, use the pitch allocated to you an be just feet away from your neighbour (or at least that is how it seems to me) I'd much rather have the canals where, at the price of the occasional proximity, you get a large degree of freedom.

That rather depends where you are. You can in Scotland for example unless stated otherwise.

1 hour ago, Rickent said:

Go and ask them then.

You enjoy meeting and interacting with other boaters so it shouldn't be a problem to you.

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

That rather depends where you are. You can in Scotland for example unless stated otherwise.

Go and ask them then.

You enjoy meeting and interacting with other boaters so it shouldn't be a problem to you.

What an absolutely blooming good idea, next time I see them I shall do just that.

Now why didn't I think of that .

39 minutes ago, haza said:

there are some great peeps in the narrow boating world .you think so ....rickent ..well let me tell you .there are just as many horrible nasty people you will ever want to meet .in it as well ..so i would say to you my friend .just enjoy the times your allowed to enjoy .and leave the rest that you dont enjoy  outside your boat ...and cruise on and on and on and on 

o9h and rnjoy 

Correct. I think this forum represents this really well.

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

I must admit, the worst offending local Continuous Moorer (cruising range -the Weedon semi circle), tootled round the corner and drifted towards the opposite bank on Sunday afternoon when we were sat enjoying the sun...

The power of a bluetooth volume control on the soundbar going up to 11 helped make the decision to go another 100 yards further on. ?

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

I was joking about the camper van, I have seen them almost nose to tail.

I was tied at Thrupp, when a boat arrived blasting out pop.  I told them to turn it down.  Cheers from several other boats.  I was on 'Jaguar', a lot bigger than theirs and plenty of coal to throw at them.

Putting the other side slightly, we stopped outside the Cuttle Bridge Inn - edge of Minworth - in a spot we have moored at before. Further along one way there is a sewage works and anyway it is shallow. Further the other way just beyond the bridge, the road runs close and it is a bit noisy. There is room for 3 or 4 boats in the “prime spot” and one boat was already moored there. There were of course no boats moored for at least 1/2 mile either side. Shortly after we pulled in we chatted to the boat already there. They sort of hinted that they had moored in the middle of nowhere and wondered why people always wanted to moor next to another boat. They weren’t nasty about it but I got the message.

I did explain that we moored there for reasons completely unrelated to the fact that a boat was there already, but not sure if they “got” it.

Needless to say, we didn’t run engine / generators or otherwise make any disturbances.

8 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I did explain that we moored there for reasons completely unrelated to the fact that a boat was there already, but not sure if they “got” it.

They didn't 'get" that they had moored up outside a pub?

• Greenie 1

Moored by a pub is slightly different, naive to think no one else will want to join you.

However I once moored by the sewage works just north of Wheelock, and within an hour other boats had joined me :)

Rog

2 minutes ago, dogless said:

Moored by a pub is slightly different, naive to think no one else will want to join you.

However I once moored by the sewage works just north of Wheelock, and within an hour other boats had joined me :)

Rog

Bet it wasn't just you had a shit night....

• Greenie 1