Why. Just why !!!!!

Rickent

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

The OP asks for a 'proper' answer to the situation posed and indicates that only a few of the posts have tried to do that, preferring instead to contemplate their own insecurities that come to the surface when someone moors close by, just when you had hoped for loneliness. (Leave aside a debate on the difference between being able to choose loneliness and those who have it as an enforced permanent condition) In the interests of disclosure: our first reaction in such situations is invariably negative but it soon passes! Having a degree of hearing loss means, for me, that most annoyances can be ignored by removing hearing aids!

A few posts have posited reasons (like security) and here is another: many boaters on unfamiliar waters will use published guides to plan ahead where they hope to moor overnight and, on some canals, there can be a paucity of places marked. Sometimes we approach a planned mooring in some trepidation, knowing that if it is full then we have a lengthy and uncertain unplanned extension to the day. What most guides fail to mention (and it is not an exact science anyway) is just how many spaces there are at one of the marked moorings or even what the depth is like. Some new boaters may also be unduly influenced by the often strongly worded cries (here and elsewhere) for boats to moor closely on busy mooring spots. (Share a Ring) It is possible that some have done so in the belief that this is the right thing to do. It is always worth remembering when criticising the behaviours of other boaters, that changing them may have unintended consequences!

I don't very often "criticise" the behaviour of other boaters, as I have an each to their own attirude normally but genuinely couldn't work out why someone would moor so close when they didn't need to. A lot of reasons given in response are perfectly valid reasons and I understand them, some of them I feel are not valid in this case and to be honest they didn't impact on my canal experience untill they decided to start their engine up at 8 and run it till 10.

I would like to pose another question, if the said boats knew they were going to run their engine why would they moor so close and do people think this is acceptable behaviour.

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, Jirmette said:

So pleased I've joined this forum!  As a newbie, I'd probably think "ah that's obviously where I should be mooring as there's someone already there!"    

Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and fender to fender, it's a sort of "nose to nose" with Eskimos [sry Inuit]

Of course, after the first two responses, it tends to go off topic, and really, it's a lot more fun than some ol' git moanin' abut the geezer next door with his generator on at 10.00pm and the exhaust gently wafting straight in to the boat downwind.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

I agree entirely.

If I moor near others (boats or houses) I am required by common courtesy to consider what affect my actions may have on them.

If I choose a solitary isolated spot it is because I wish to feel free of any such burden.

If someone is so insecure they MUST moor where others are, why not moor insight of others but three or more boat lengths away ... why does it have to be so close?

Rog

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

If you buy a house without a front garden then surely you will expect boats to moor there if the canal is a few feet away and the pub directly behind your house?

People buy houses built around an old basin and then complain about the presence of boats and boaters so the moorings are removed!

1 hour ago, dogless said:

I agree entirely.

If I moor near others (boats or houses) I am required by common courtesy to consider what affect my actions may have on them.

If I choose a solitary isolated spot it is because I wish to feel free of any such burden.

If someone is so insecure they MUST moor where others are, why not moor insight of others but three or more boat lengths away ... why does it have to be so close?

Rog

This is what I tend to do. If using a popular visitor mooring where space is limited I will moor close to other boats so others can use the space but if planning to moor in the middle of nowhere and someone else is there when we arrive then I will leave plenty of space, at least room for a full length boat to moor.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Trite, silly and missing the point by a country mile. 

The OP is seeking to understand why people do it. I'm sure he is bright enough to figure out he has this option.

Why not?

They are free to moor wherever they choose provided they are not contravening any byelaws.

No one has a right to be moored in isolation.

ETA: There are usually people complaining that other folks leave big git gaps between moored boats now people are complaining about other boats mooring "too close"

Edited by Naughty Cal
  • Happy 1

27 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Why not?

They are free to moor wherever they choose provided they are not contravening any byelaws.

No one has a right to be moored in isolation.

ETA: There are usually people complaining that other folks leave big git gaps between moored boats now people are complaining about other boats mooring "too close"

The difference is whether it is a mooring on a short, popular visitor mooring where you would expect to share rings compared to a long stretch of countryside where there is no reason to moor close up. Some people don't seem to be able to differentiate between the two.

What would your view be if you anchored naughty cal in a bit of open water and then another boat came along an dropped anchor in the same spot.

• Greenie 1

56 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

The difference is whether it is a mooring on a short, popular visitor mooring where you would expect to share rings compared to a long stretch of countryside where there is no reason to moor close up. Some people don't seem to be able to differentiate between the two.

What would your view be if you anchored naughty cal in a bit of open water and then another boat came along an dropped anchor in the same spot.

And kept the engine running till 10pm.

10 minutes ago, Señor Chris said:

sometimes.jpeg.0ddfc1e4023ab15c98ac8ac9eb05e214.jpeg

Quite so - and heating the water for the washing of oneself and one's clothes, for example. 

Mind you, if such recharging really takes all day, you may need to consider replacing the batteries ere long.

24 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I'm not an introvert, I just dislike people

;)

This reminds me of the psychiatrist who said to his patient, "No, you haven't got an inferiority complex. You ARE inferior".

19 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Park your car in an empty car park, half an hour later there are four cars parked beside yours, the rest is still empty.

Herd instinct.

I do that on purpose sometime parking as far from the shop entrance as possible, silly I know but it makes me smile

11 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I do that on purpose sometime parking as far from the shop entrance as possible, silly I know but it makes me smile

And parked so close that they can't open the door.  Then hide and watch the driver climb over the gearstick, etc.

On 12/05/2019 at 19:16, Rob-M said:

We returned to our boat to find the boat behind was moored so their bow fender was tight against our stern fender which I thought was a bit close.

OK, a bit over the top. I would leave a bit of space. Agree with the 'security' comment so I'd like to be adjacent, but leave a gap. OMG! the dilemma is how much of a gap to leave. How long is the next boat to arrive going to be? Will they get in or do I need to leave a bit more space? But if its short that'll waste space.  Worry, worry! Maybe I'll go somewhere else after all......

The first image is looking towards my boat, it is there in the distance, the second image is from the same spot looking the other way, plenty of space to moor away from anybody and run your engine to your hearts content.

20190513_152511.jpg

20190513_152523.jpg

Edited by Rickent

12 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Gotta be real ginger,  the trick is to bleed them quick and hang for at least 28 days

What, the Gingers?  Overheard two girls talking, one said "I didn't know your dad was ginger"

If you don't live dahn saaf you won't understand the joke.   Ginger Beer.

You seem to just be winding yourself up about this rather than doing one of the many things that could resolve or make the issue disappear completely. 

2 minutes ago, Rumsky said:

You seem to just be winding yourself up about this rather than doing one of the many things that could resolve or make the issue disappear completely. 

Sell the boat, buy a camper van...…..