Why. Just why !!!!!

Rickent

Featured Posts

Out on the boat this weekend,  moored up on Friday evening in a lovely quiet spot, no boats within half a mile of us.

Came back today from dog walking to find two boats mooring up within 10 yards from us. They could have moored anywhere,  there are no boats as far as the eye can see, but they want to moor right next to us, can someone please explain why?

Rant over.

IMG-20190512-WA0006.jpg

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Out on the boat this weekend,  moored up on Friday evening in a lovely quiet spot, no boats within half a mile of us.

Came back today from dog walking to find two boats mooring up within 10 yards from us. They could have moored anywhere,  there are no boats as far as the eye can see, but they want to moor right next to us, can someone please explain why?

Rant over.

Herding instinct.

3 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Rant over.

Because it is a lovely quiet spot, you are not the only one that  moores there.

!0 yards away? Lucky they could have been really inconsiderate and moored right next to you.

Get a life, live with the other occupiers of this planet, they have all the same rights and desires as you have.

What makes you so damn special do you think?

Been on a boat long then?

• Greenie 2

Reversed the best part of two miles today *nearly* to the bottom of the Seend flight. Hire boaters were keen to help at the three swing bridges on route (One even managed to overtake us whilst we were reversing - wacky races!). CRT wont let us ascend the first lock without them assisting. Didn't understand why until I saw it today and remembered that we had to power ourselves out due to an underwater obstruction..... It would be no problem if we were facing forwards but in reverse, it could be a challenge. Hoping it is a wheelbarrow or similar - if it is collapsed brickwork we may have a problem.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

They LIKE you, obvs!!!

Not having that. 

NOBODY likes me. ?

1 minute ago, Boater Sam said:

Because it is a lovely quiet spot, you are not the only one that  moores there.

!0 yards away? Lucky they could have been really inconsiderate and moored right next to you.

Get a life, live with the other occupiers of this planet, they have all the same rights and desires as you have.

What makes you so damn special do you think?

Been on a boat long then?

????

Let me just clarify something, I am aware that anybody can moor anywhere they like. I do not expect to monopolise the best mooring spots, I am not anti social and I do have a life, one I am very happy with BUT when I moor up I try to moor well away from other boats if at all possible. Maybe everybody is not as considerate as I am. 

• Greenie 4

3 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Let me just clarify something, I am aware that anybody can moor anywhere they like. I do not expect to monopolise the best mooring spots, I am not anti social and I do have a life, one I am very happy with BUT when I moor up I try to moor well away from other boats if at all possible. Maybe everybody is not as considerate as I am. 

But the newcomers don't know your expectations. They may just appreciate the same things that you do. Once you have shut the door on the world just chill out and enjoy the peace. Life is too short to get uptight about such things!

Howard

But they don't know that you want the mooring to yourself! Its not a consideration thing at all.

Are you so weird that you don't want other people anywhere near you?

Ever made any boating friends on a mooring, have a BBQ etc?

Change the name of the boat to "Go moor somewhere else, grump at home"

Had a guy with the same hang up as you, made to moored in the only spot left on the S Oxford summit before Fenny. As I stopped he told me to "F*** off and moor somewhere else"

I was in a good mood, lucky man.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Here is a tip for you. You know the numpties that have signs on their roof saying " Tick over " you need a big sign saying  " Diesel Generator running every evening " 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

But they don't know that you want the mooring to yourself! Its not a consideration thing at all.

Are you so weird that you don't want other people anywhere near you?

Ever made any boating friends on a mooring, have a BBQ etc?

Change the name of the boat to "Go moor somewhere else, grump at home"

Had a guy with the same hang up as you, made to moored in the only spot left on the S Oxford summit before Fenny. As I stopped he told me to "F*** off and moor somewhere else"

I was in a good mood, lucky man.

Are you having a bad day ?

Horrible rude man.

• Greenie 3

13 minutes ago, Rickent said:

It is the herding instinct, it happens everywhere all the time, mutual protection against wee beasties like Dormice, Swans and water Voles. It happens in car parks, picnic areas and football matches. I once pitched my tent in the Ashdown forest in Sussex. It had just previousely suffered a major forest fire, it was like a primevil forest all blackened and burnt, no evidence of any wild life and no birds twittering, peace, I thought no one but me would like it. Next day two more campers with tents turned up and pitched their tents a few yards from mine. They had the whole burnt and some unburnt bits of the forest to choose from.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Quite agree, we had one a few days ago, no other boats around and one came right up and buttoned up to us, like you say WHY, we are sociable folk but still dont understand the mentality, i chose to be on our own as i needed to use my generator without disturbing others. Im sure  we'll still be criticised for wanting to keep a distance.

• Greenie 2

I would never tell anybody to **** off and moor somewhere else, I have no hang ups, I have made boating friends on moorings , love a good Bbq , I might be a bit weird but certainly not as weird as having to abuse somebody for no real reason. 

I don't mind BBQ's as long as I;m not the one that has to operate it. Nothing worse and more stupid than hanging over the hot, smokey, stinkin thing on a hot sunny day, why I like to sit upwind of it.   I like traditional picnics, with a cheque table cloth spread upon the grass wolfing down lovely cool salmon and cucumber and egg and cress sanwiches and cake with the kettle singing away for tea on my paraffin pressure stove.  And a bottle of Port.

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I don't mind BBQ's as long as I;m not the one that has to operate it. Nothing worse and more stupid than hanging over the hot, smokey, stinkin thing on a hot sunny day, why I like to sit upwind of it.   I like traditional picnics, with a cheque table cloth spread upon the grass wolfing down lovely cool salmon and cucumber and egg and cress sanwiches and cake with the kettle singing away for tea on my paraffin pressure stove.  And a bottle of Port.

Sounds fab ?

27 minutes ago, CLAN1 said:

Quite agree, we had one a few days ago, no other boats around and one came right up and buttoned up to us, like you say WHY, we are sociable folk but still dont understand the mentality, i chose to be on our own as i needed to use my generator without disturbing others. Im sure  we'll still be criticised for wanting to keep a distance.

Yes, as has been said earlier you must be some sort of anti social people hating weirdo,  if you find it strange that someone chooses to moor right next to you when as far as the eye can see is empty river bank.

14 minutes ago, Rickent said:

I would never tell anybody to **** off and moor somewhere else, I have no hang ups, I have made boating friends on moorings , love a good Bbq , I might be a bit weird but certainly not as weird as having to abuse somebody for no real reason. 

No hang ups?  just a rant that you cannot understand why somebody would moor close to you...and  you want to make it heard that you are an amenable chap who would never complain or abuse. 

Perhaps the people who have moored are a tad insecure about isolation, the whole safety in numbers thing is often practised by new boaters or those on their own and anxious about unknown areas. It used to be that the boating community cared for each other, maybe they thought you might be of that fraternity. 

Are they noisy and uncouth, are they peering into your windows ... or are you just complaining on here for "no real reason" ... just how are they being "inconsiderate" ?  A genuine question.  If you can provide a good enough reason then by all means go and suggest they move, and the best of luck for a satisfactory reply. 

38 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Well that escalated quickly didn't it, I must admit I thought your post was slightly flippant and didn't deserve the more shouty responses.

Anyway I'm off for a bit of homemade ginger cake, made with real gingers

• Happy 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Winn said:

No hang ups?  just a rant that you cannot understand why somebody would moor close to you...and  you want to make it heard that you are an amenable chap who would never complain or abuse. 

Perhaps the people who have moored are a tad insecure about isolation, the whole safety in numbers thing is often practised by new boaters or those on their own and anxious about unknown areas. It used to be that the boating community cared for each other, maybe they thought you might be of that fraternity. 

Are they noisy and uncouth, are they peering into your windows ... or are you just complaining on here for "no real reason" ... just how are they being "inconsiderate" ?  A genuine question.  If you can provide a good enough reason then by all means go and suggest they move, and the best of luck for a satisfactory reply. 

Please point out the part of my post where I call anybody "inconsiderate".

I await a satisfactory reply.

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Well that escalated quickly didn't it, I must admit I thought your post was slightly flippant and didn't deserve the more shouty responses.

Anyway I'm off for a bit of homemade ginger cake, made with real gingers

Yes, just a question really , I hoped someone could answer. Should not have been surprised at some of the responses really as I have been on here long enough to know what this place can be like, but for anyone who is interested, the said boat is now running his engine. Enjoy your gingers.

• Greenie 2