Strange Craftinsure restriction

PeterCr

Featured Posts

55 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I think the difference between boat and car hire is that with car hire the liability (collision damage waiver) insurance is sold as an extra, whereas with boat hire the insurance is included within the hire.

The have a damage waiver 

Capture.JPG

Edited by ditchcrawler
cant spill

5 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Has the liability of hire companies ever been tested in court? I did not think it applied with car hire - or does it?

It's irrelevant with car hire as there is a legal requirement to have 3rd party insurance (don't get confused by the waivers to avoid having to pay for damage to the hire vehicle, they won't let you drive away without the appropriate 3rd party insurance). Though I'm sure if push came to shove there would be a similar principle of joint liability.

Though it occurs to me that there is a similar requirement for narrowboats - it may not be a legal requirement, but it it a condition of the licence that you have 3rd party insurance. Which makes me wonder whether it's really the case that hire boats are completely uninsured when travelling at night, because that would surely break the licence conditions (which would be a matter for the company, not the hirers). I suspect it's not quite that simple and that 3rd party cover is still effectively in place - it's simply that the insurance company can claim costs back from the hirers. There is a similar situation regarding motor vehicles where in some circumstances the insurance company will pay out a claim and then charge the policy holder.

Edited by aracer