Strange Craftinsure restriction

PeterCr

Featured Posts

I've just renewed my Craftinsure insurance and I've looked through the conditions.  Unless I have missed it, there is no mention of single handed use, or that the insured has to be on  the boat.

What did strike me though is that the insurance is solely in my name.  Our bout belongs to US, but for example it says it only covers personal effects of "Mr dor".

I think I might contact them to check how things relating to my wife are covered.

I did get a verbal confirmation from them a few years ago to say that use of the boat by a friend was ok.

6 hours ago, dor said:

What did strike me though is that the insurance is solely in my name.  Our bout belongs to US, but for example it says it only covers personal effects of "Mr dor".

I think I might contact them to check how things relating to my wife are covered.

If you jointly own the boat then the insurance should be in joint names. Our boat is jointly owned and our insurance (with Craftinsure) is in joint names.

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

If you jointly own the boat then the insurance should be in joint names. Our boat is jointly owned and our insurance (with Craftinsure) is in joint names.

In certain extreme circumstances it could well be important.

On 13/05/2019 at 18:36, MartynG said:

I have noticed narrowboats travelling at odd hours of the day and in darkness  but suspect this is to avoid lock keepers and C&RT inspectors rather than any desire to travel continuously for 24 hours.

I've gone deep into the night/morning a couple of times recently because I had a deadline to meet (in one case I was racing to get through a section with limited opening hours). Though even then the longest I did in one go between sleeps was about 12 hours - I'm assuming stopping for a couple of hours to sleep counts to reset the clock (if not then I probably did go for a bit more than 24 hours!) I suppose I could imagine boating for a bit more than 18 hours though in different circumstances if I had an early start and an uninterrupted day (I didn't on those occasions). I've done quite a bit of night boating - got feedback that it wasn't an approved thing to do, but there isn't any rule against it and I don't see why I need to stick to the unwritten ones - I quite enjoy being active at night and given a lot of experience I tend to be capable of doing things just about as well in the dark. All sorts of ways to enjoy boating.

Edited by aracer

On 13/05/2019 at 18:36, MartynG said:

I have noticed narrowboats travelling at odd hours of the day and in darkness  but suspect this is to avoid lock keepers and C&RT inspectors rather than any desire to travel continuously for 24 hours.

I'd say this is a road of borrocks. I loves boating at night in the hot summer, and why not? 

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd say this is a road of borrocks. I loves boating at night in the hot summer, and why not? 

Not certain it is total rubbish, we me a guy coming down Hatton when we had just started up at about 10am.  He was single handed and had started down at 5am so the he would avoid the volunteer lock keepers, who he described in a rather politically incorrect way!

On 15/05/2019 at 15:48, MartinC said:

Contacted Craftinsure and they immediately added my wife's name to the policyholder bit.  No additional charge.

1 hour ago, dor said:

Contacted Craftinsure and they immediately added my wife's name to the policyholder bit.  No additional charge.

How did  you contact them? I've had no luck, not even had a reply to an email asking them the best way to contact them.

We saw some interesting night time boaters last year. 3 hire boats, all together, each with about 20 Irish students (and I hope some supervisor) on board, at around midnight, trying to navigate with someone sitting on the bow with the torch from a mobile phone. We were very glad when they got past us!

47 minutes ago, PeterCr said:

How did  you contact them? I've had no luck, not even had a reply to an email asking them the best way to contact them.

We saw some interesting night time boaters last year. 3 hire boats, all together, each with about 20 Irish students (and I hope some supervisor) on board, at around midnight, trying to navigate with someone sitting on the bow with the torch from a mobile phone. We were very glad when they got past us!

Whilst there is no general prohibition on night time cruising, it is pretty much universally forbidden by hire companies - probably acting in response to insurers conditions. The ones you saw wer5e, in all probability, uninsured so glad they did not hit you!

5 hours ago, PeterCr said:

I just emailed them.  I've always had a prompt reply when contacting them this way.  I used mailto:customersupport@craftinsure.com

5 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

The ones you saw wer5e, in all probability, uninsured so glad they did not hit you!

If somebody hits you, they are liable in the first instance, regardless of whether they have laid off the risk to an insurance company.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, john6767 said:

Not certain it is total rubbish, we me a guy coming down Hatton when we had just started up at about 10am.  He was single handed and had started down at 5am so the he would avoid the volunteer lock keepers, who he described in a rather politically incorrect way!

It takes all sorts. On my most recent before dawn start I got to the Bratch just before they officially opened - which I understood meant I had to work the locks myself. I had been warned about the lock keeper there not approving of boats going through outside official opening hours and going the other way I'd been there just after dawn when there was nobody about to complain. However I got some very friendly help going down (though I got the feeling that the boater waiting to go up was a bit disgruntled that I'd gone through before official opening hours!)

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

If somebody hits you, they are liable in the first instance, regardless of whether they have laid off the risk to an insurance company.

It does make things a lot easier if there's an insurance company to claim from - though in the case of a hire boat I'm sure any reputable hire company would sort things out.

On 12/05/2019 at 20:23, dor said:

Interesting. I will have to check my Craftinsure policy, as it is not that unusual to be single-handing for over 24 hours.

Really? When do you sleep?

I think the longest I've managed on my own is about 16 hours without stopping and mooring up. 

22 hours ago, PeterCr said:

0345 2607 888

i spoke to them yesterday about my renewal. The guy picked up the phone straight away.

Edited by blackrose

On 17/05/2019 at 07:33, dor said:

What did they say about your epic 24 hours+ single-handed boating endurance exploits?

On 15/05/2019 at 08:59, dor said:

I've just renewed my Craftinsure insurance and I've looked through the conditions.  Unless I have missed it, 

It was in the pdf summary of my new policy

Screenshot_20190518-081903~2.png

Edited by blackrose

I have a different set of T&Cs.  It is headed "Narrowboat/Widebeam policy".   It has, for example,

Territorial Scope: Ashore or afloat on inland non tidal waters and interconnecting tidal waterways of the UK, including the Broads, and the river Thames not seaward of the Thames Barrier.

No mention of single handing.

12 minutes ago, dor said:

I have a different set of T&Cs.  It is headed "Narrowboat/Widebeam policy".   It has, for example,

Territorial Scope: Ashore or afloat on inland non tidal waters and interconnecting tidal waterways of the UK, including the Broads, and the river Thames not seaward of the Thames Barrier.

No mention of single handing.

Mine is also headed "Narrowboat/Widebeam policy" and has the same territorial scope.

Those weren't the T&Cs I posted above, just a pdf summary of inclusions/exclusions. I can't see the single-handed restriction mentioned anywhere else in my full T&Cs.

Edited by blackrose

Well I've looked through the whole policy document and still can't find any reference to the mention of single-handing or having to go into a marina or ashore.  The other parts you quote are there under various titles saying what is not covered or in exclusions and sanctions.

Where are you finding the PDF document you quote?

2 hours ago, dor said:

Well I've looked through the whole policy document and still can't find any reference to the mention of single-handing or having to go into a marina or ashore.  The other parts you quote are there under various titles saying what is not covered or in exclusions and sanctions.

Where are you finding the PDF document you quote?

I think it was in a link within the renewal email they sent me. I've deleted it now as I've renewed and have the policy document. As you say there's nothing in there about it, but if you really are single-handing for 24 hour + endurance sessions then it might be worth giving them a call.

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

I think it was in a link within the renewal email they sent me.

Just checked and yes, it was IPID.pdf that came with the renewal email.  It appears to be the same one that you copied from.

Odd that if it is a restriction, it doesn't appear in the conditions that come with the policy.  Perhaps it only applies to lumpy water boats?

On 17/05/2019 at 15:21, Mike the Boilerman said:

Of course that is true but try to claim from a set of hirers cannot be the easiest task. Unless they volunteer their detailss you first have to persude the hire company to tell you and watch them hide behind GDPR.

28 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Of course that is true but try to claim from a set of hirers cannot be the easiest task. Unless they volunteer their detailss you first have to persude the hire company to tell you and watch them hide behind GDPR.

I should think you just claim direct from the hire company in that case, they would share liability and it would be much simpler. Not that there would be any problem obtaining details when there is a clear liability, GDPR doesn't prevent that.

17 hours ago, aracer said:

I should think you just claim direct from the hire company in that case, they would share liability and it would be much simpler. Not that there would be any problem obtaining details when there is a clear liability, GDPR doesn't prevent that.

GDPR may not prevent that but it will not stop people trying to hide behind it, as with H&S, Food Hygience etc. 

Has the liability of hire companies ever been tested in court? I did not think it applied with car hire - or does it?

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

GDPR may not prevent that but it will not stop people trying to hide behind it, as with H&S, Food Hygience etc. 

Has the liability of hire companies ever been tested in court? I did not think it applied with car hire - or does it?

I think the difference between boat and car hire is that with car hire the liability (collision damage waiver) insurance is sold as an extra, whereas with boat hire the insurance is included within the hire.