Strange Craftinsure restriction

PeterCr

Featured Posts

I have just had my craftinsure renewal. On the plus side the premium has gone down a bit. Unusual for insurance.

However I thought I'd have a browse through the insurance summary for a little light reading. But I was surprised to see under "Are there any restrictions on cover?", - "single handed use for a period of over 24 hours."

So I went to take a look at the policy and cannot see any reference to single handing. As I'll certainly be single handed for over 24 hours I thought I should see if anyone knows anything about this. Cheers

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I assumed that is for salty water folks, to ensure they are not out on the briny for 24 hours continuous, rather than being anchored/moored.

Perhaps that's it and it is in a salt water policy, but not in narrowboat policies. I might give them a ring tomorrow just to clarify it a bit more.

29 minutes ago, PeterCr said:

However I thought I'd have a browse through the insurance summary for a little light reading. But I was surprised to see under "Are there any restrictions on cover?", - "single handed use for a period of over 24 hours."

Mine states :

It is warranted that no single-handed overnight passages are undertaken.

I also saw this in my previous policy with Euromarine. As LadyG says, its likely a hangover from companies/policies that deal in the lumpy water stuff.

My policy said NO single handing, but I questioned this and they changed it to something like no more than 18 hours in any day, and they did this at no extra cost but did need to confirm that I have many years of boating experience. It does make sense, single handing can carry extra risks.

.............Dave

Thanks -  I have just checked mine too, and found the same as others.   Just as well as I have just completed a week single handed.

When I recently bought an addition to the policy for crossing the Wash (which some insurers treat the same as other tidal waterways!) I was required to have at least one competent crew on board.

As with many things in today's life - insurers don't really understand their market or its conditions. Many of the policies that I have seen are basically for the salty water market.

"Hey it's a boat - OK, write yacht cover for it then"

Time was when there was a broker (long since gone), who went around the major insurance companies and made them tailor their policies to the market that he was trying to cover - and was successful. Good cover for the boater and reasonable profits (an important point) for the underwriters.

If you're not happy with what's on offer - walk and find a more targeted  cover for your needs.

Any insurance is about 'risk'  - for a minority market (inland boating), there's not a lot of statistics for UK inland craft, thus to be prudent brokers revert to salty water stuff T's and Cs as it's a harsher environment - which could mean that the claims statistics skew the premiums.

The other thing to remember is that the company we deal with is usually buying the cover from a Lloyd’s syndicate, not necessarily the same one every time, so the minutiae of the policy can vary from year to year.

there are so many silly restrictions with many of the policies where you have to answer 100 questions and at least one of them will immediately eliminate you.  Like - for a trailer boat, the boat cannot be left on the water overnight, even though I only wanted TPI !   

I did the quiz for at least 5 proposals and gave up, then came across Basic Boat who don't ask any questions, they just tell you about a few reasonable limitations and that is that.

2 hours ago, Murflynn said:

there are so many silly restrictions with many of the policies where you have to answer 100 questions and at least one of them will immediately eliminate you.  Like - for a trailer boat, the boat cannot be left on the water overnight, even though I only wanted TPI !   

I did the quiz for at least 5 proposals and gave up, then came across Basic Boat who don't ask any questions, they just tell you about a few reasonable limitations and that is that.

There would be an underlying policy document - from which there is an assumption you compy with all the terms - leaving lots of wriggle room to avoid paying out.....

What would be useful here, is for victims of claims rejected by 'clever' clauses to tell us.

4 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

It certainly used to be the case, but I have not seen up to date evidence, that for lot of vehicles the cheaper the policy the more the get out clauses. Cheaper because they paid out fewer claims.

Craftinsure claim to be cheapest because they are only online, therefore no overheads.

15 hours ago, Murflynn said:

I have just insured with Basic Boat - seems to be very straightforward and does what it says on the label - basic 3rd party as required by the navigation authorities.  Anyone had any problems with them?

They categorically will not cover for towing or being towed by another boat. Which I only found out after"insuring" a motor and butty with them for several years.

3 hours ago, Horace42 said:

There would be an underlying policy document - from which there is an assumption you compy with all the terms - leaving lots of wriggle room to avoid paying out.....

What would be useful here, is for victims of claims rejected by 'clever' clauses to tell us.

That's what I found strange, after reading the policy itself there wasn't a word about single handing. I wonder how much force the "summary" has if something appears in the summary but not in the policy.

I've been reading this which discusses the single handing a little. I'm beginning to think that the single handing restriction is 24 hours all in one go, ie 24 hours uninterupted.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?230059-CraftInsure-did-I-really-expect-them-to-do-what-they-promised

However this is a bit discouraging. I've rung them on their customer contact number about half a dozen times this morning. All I can get is a beeping sound. Perhaps it's an engaged noise but it seems unlikely they'd be engaged for the whole morning. I tried their claims number too, same. Very hard to get in contact with anyone.

Just looked at the policy for 'the other boat' :

Section I – General Conditions that apply to the whole Policy
1 You must comply with all of the following conditions:
1.1 If You give permission for someone else to be in charge of the Vessel, You must take steps to ensure
that they have experience to do so.
1.2 The Vessel must not be navigated single-handed by anyone for a period in excess of
18 consecutive hours.

2 hours ago, PeterCr said:

That's what I found strange, after reading the policy itself there wasn't a word about single handing. I wonder how much force the "summary" has if something appears in the summary but not in the policy.

I've been reading this which discusses the single handing a little. I'm beginning to think that the single handing restriction is 24 hours all in one go, ie 24 hours uninterupted.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?230059-CraftInsure-did-I-really-expect-them-to-do-what-they-promised

However this is a bit discouraging. I've rung them on their customer contact number about half a dozen times this morning. All I can get is a beeping sound. Perhaps it's an engaged noise but it seems unlikely they'd be engaged for the whole morning. I tried their claims number too, same. Very hard to get in contact with anyone.

Not surprising when read like that really.

4 hours ago, PeterCr said:

I'm beginning to think that the single handing restriction is 24 hours all in one go, ie 24 hours uninterupted.

It certainly does mean you shouldn't be single handed  more then 24 hours uninterrupted .  I think it means under way and single handed but that is not clear.  It is certainly aimed at sailing on the sea as I doubt it will bother most people  who own  a motorboat (even one at sea) and is unlikely to be an issue on a narrowboat on the inland waterways .  I have noticed narrowboats travelling at odd hours of the day and in darkness  but suspect this is to avoid lock keepers and C&RT inspectors rather than any desire to travel continuously for 24 hours.

I have a similar restriction despite being a sea boat but it is not a problem for me.

Google found the restriction which may be where you have seen it.

http://www.craftinsure.com/IPID_Main.pdf

What it doesn't say is how long you have to stop before the 24hrs limitation starts again so very  poorly worded. 

Well done on reading the insurance documents as many do not and are then surprised when they make a claim and find it is paid in part or not at all.

When I queried a similar clause with GJW I was told it applied to overnight passages and to ignore it.

Its there to stop people setting off sailing across the channel, setting the autopilot and going to bed.