Amsterdam Bans Diesel & Petrol Powered Boats Across 300 Sq Kms of the City

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We had a Peugeot 406 GTI which cost over £15k, (a lot of money in the late '80s) sold it after 11 months as it had reached the 65K mileage. Could not get anyone in the trade to take it, ended up selling it to the local Postman for £2k.

After that we stuck with 'quality cars'.

Residual values in percentage terms (of the purchase price) are one thing. but value for money is another. My residuals are based on the What Car April 2019 survey: 

After three years you might get back 60% of a Porsche's £75,000 - so it has cost you £30,000. You might instead get back 40% of a top-of-the-range Skoda's £40,000 - which has cost you only £16,000.   I don't know about you, but I can think of lots of things other than cars to spend 14 grand on.

• Greenie 1

43 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Congestion charge and emissions charge £24 per day so say £5k per annum. Say 10,000 miles at 0.45 ppm is £4.5k, so a saving of under £10k less electricty charges when not on a Tesla Supercharger.

So it will take 6 years to pay back. When I was at work if it didn't pay back in under 2 years it didn't get authorised.

35 minutes ago, frangar said:

After 6 years I’m guessing it will either need new batteries or like a lot of modern cars something electronic will have died making it beyond economic repair....the yard near my unit has a endless supply of what I consider “modern” cars coming in to be scrapped..very rarely is it for a mechanical or corrosion failure...usually it’s electrical or electronic...and given that every year more gizmos are fitted to cars be they EV or ICE then this will only get worse....and hardly green! 

34 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We had similar policy, but, a car is not capital equipment - a car is a depreciating asset, written off at 50% per annum.

Going back to when I was 'working' 

We had a Peugeot 406 GTI which cost over £15k, (a lot of money in the late '80s) sold it after 11 months as it had reached the 65K mileage. Could not get anyone in the trade to take it, ended up selling it to the local Postman for £2k.

After that we stuck with 'quality cars'.

19 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

It is going to take a hell of a lot of miles at 45p to pay back his initial outlay.

I posted he goes to London twice a week so his average yearly work mileage is 33K now think about his savings and how long it takes to pay back? As well as his no petrol costs as well I reckon he will be in clover within the two years? But the best thing for him, is its the best car he has ever driven, and he knows that when he presses that insanity button, he is the fastest 0 - 62 mph car in the world and its so much fun doing it for free?

7 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Residual values in percentage terms (of the purchase price) are one thing. but value for money is another. My residuals are based on the What Car April 2019 survey: 

After three years you might get back 60% of a Porsche's £75,000 - so it has cost you £30,000. You might instead get back 40% of a top-of-the-range Skoda's £40,000 - which has cost you only £16,000.   I don't know about you, but I can think of lots of things other than cars to spend 14 grand on.

In Neils case he will keep the car until its dead I suspect which could take many years  or it could be next week, however for him and his wife he is having fun driving on the cheap with a very nice car, his money in the bank is worthless as far as interest is concerned, he is self employed, so he is using the system to its best advantage

Running costs, Depreciation etc are irrelevant,

Spending £60k on a car is immoral.

Yes I have been in one, one of my clients runs one, they are good, 

Also I will not worship at the alter of Elon Musk, Steve Jobs etc even if I had the spare money to do so.

8 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Running costs, Depreciation etc are irrelevant,

Spending £60k on a car is immoral.

Yes I have been in one, one of my clients runs one, they are good, 

Also I will not worship at the alter of Elon Musk, Steve Jobs etc even if I had the spare money to do so.

Its not, its his choice and thats the great thing about free will, If I wanted one I could at a push buy one, however I run my two hybrids and the electric mega truck, thats my choice and its my money to do with as I please