Amsterdam Bans Diesel & Petrol Powered Boats Across 300 Sq Kms of the City

Featured Posts

If applied to London - this should make C&RTs life easier.

In an effort to tackle air pollution the Amsterdam City Council has decided to ban all petrol and diesel powered boats from the centre of the city (defined as being within the A10 city ring road) by 2025, according to a report published last week.

There are estimated to be several thousand pleasure boat owners who will be affected by the new legislation who would normally be expected to be use their boats at least five or six times a year on canals within a radius of 10 kms from the city centre .

https://www.ibinews.com/amsterdam-to-ban-petrol-and-diesel-powered-boats/34061.article

Edited by Alan de Enfield

knowing the Dutch, I expect they have invested in a proper infrastructure of charging points.  .... if only the various navigation authorities in the UK would do the same (lottery funding perhaps?).

I am limited to the Thames because it is the only waterway I am aware of that has a few charging points (generally one day's travel between each, so hope the power hasn't failed!).  

Of course the electricity to power everything will generated by fairie dust....not to mention the resources needed to make the batteries & electric motors....oh and the limited life of said batteries when compared to a well maintained Diesel engine. 

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, frangar said:

Of course the electricity to power everything will generated by fairie dust....not to mention the resources needed to make the batteries & electric motors....oh and the limited life of said batteries when compared to a well maintained Diesel engine. 

have you seen the enormous arrays of wind turbines along the Dutch coast?

negativity such as this is unhelpful in reducing climate change and air pollution.

of course I may be entirely wrong; you may be able to show that the carbon footprint associated with the manufacture and the use of (and the pollution within the city arising from the use of) an electric boat is more than a diesel boat - please feel free to prove your point.

• Greenie 4

6 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

have you seen the enormous arrays of wind turbines along the Dutch coast?

I was surprised to see on the news last night that the UK is way up near the top of the 'world' list for number of wind turbines.

Wind power delivers a growing percentage of the electricity of the United Kingdom and by the end of April 2019, it consisted of 9,702 wind turbines with a total installed capacity of over 20.8 gigawatts: 12,904 megawatts of onshore capacity and 7,895 megawatts of offshore capacity.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Murflynn said:

knowing the Dutch, I expect they have invested in a proper infrastructure of charging points.  .... if only the various navigation authorities in the UK would do the same (lottery funding perhaps?).

I am limited to the Thames because it is the only waterway I am aware of that has a few charging points (generally one day's travel between each, so hope the power hasn't failed!).  

The Broads have a decent charging point network.

And yet, Schiphol, Hollands international airport is situated only 9 km's southwest of Amsterdam city. I zoom that their prevailing winds are westerly, like here, so all the aircraft exhaust and stink would blow into the city, same as from Heathrow into London on a westerly wind.  On an easterly wind we can smell aircraft fuel and exhaust from Stansted airport.

I would call this a good start ?

1 hour ago, frangar said:

And yet my solar powered widebeam seems to work well, I would think its engine and LifePo4 batteries will last a very long time [longer than I have got] I get free silent cruising, and when I want to stay somewhere for a few days/weeks I get loads of lecce and the spare heats water via an immersion heater whats the problem? or is it like lots of things its in peoples heads?

11 minutes ago, peterboat said:

And yet my solar powered widebeam seems to work well, I would think its engine and LifePo4 batteries will last a very long time [longer than I have got] I get free silent cruising, and when I want to stay somewhere for a few days/weeks I get loads of lecce and the spare heats water via an immersion heater whats the problem? or is it like lots of things its in peoples heads?

How long is a days cruising before you run out of power?

Will it manage an eight hour day at 4mph?

What's maximum speed for pushing against tides as some of us do?

Edited by Loddon

8 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Sunny days yes rainy days no, but for me 2-3 hours a day is enough

So it couldn't do London to the Medway on a wet day then ;)

What is max speed ?

5 minutes ago, peterboat said:

7 MPH in deep water using GPS uses a lot of amps though!!! so why bother?

Sometimes its needed, try pushing a 5 knot tide when the boat only does 5 knots........

I like to sit between 5 and 6mph on the river its only 1500rpm so relaxed cruising.

Edited by Loddon

12 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Sometimes its needed, try pushing a 5 knot tide when the boat only does 5 knots........

I like to sit between 5 and 6mph on the river its only 1500rpm so relaxed cruising.

I follow working boat practice and travel with the tide its easier and saves a lot of dosh

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I follow working boat practice and travel with the tide its easier and saves a lot of dosh

As do I, but you can't get into places like Limehouse safely without rounding up and entering against the tide, and to get to the Medway you need to punch the tide for an hour or so in order to make it on one tide. Not that I am doing these journeys any more having ditched the ditches needed to get there.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Loddon said:

As do I, but you can't get into places like Limehouse safely without rounding up and entering against the tide, and to get to the Medway you need to punch the tide for an hour or so in order to make it on one tide. Not that I am doing these journeys any more having ditched the ditches needed to get there.

i have plenty of power to round up, but I like to take things easy which is why my system suits me, I foresee a time when its going to get expensive to run diesel so have planned accordingly, what I do wont suit everybody but it suits me, and thats what boating is about

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

And yet, Schiphol, Hollands international airport is situated only 9 km's southwest of Amsterdam city. I zoom that their prevailing winds are westerly, like here, so all the aircraft exhaust and stink would blow into the city, same as from Heathrow into London on a westerly wind.  On an easterly wind we can smell aircraft fuel and exhaust from Stansted airport.

Talking sense is not what the pretend green governments want to hear Biz. all this crap about leccy powered vehicles when air travel with jet engines is to double over less than the next twenty years. I will fit a leccy engine in my boat when air travel becomes ilegal. I wish I could make use of a leccy motor like Peter does but for my lifestyle its a non starter.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

Sunny days yes rainy days no, but for me 2-3 hours a day is enough

So not designed for us boaters that actually want to move round the system whatever the weather or season then! I rather rest my case. 

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, frangar said:

So not designed for us boaters that actually want to move round the system whatever the weather or season then! I rather rest my case. 

Dont worry Finnesses next five boats are electric, so clearly the buying boaters are much greener than you, and have an eye on the future, when diesel might be a lot more expensive than it is today. My boat suits me and thats all it has to suit, but as a thought for you, do you think boats will be exempt the soon to be introduced city low emission zones? because I dont

13 hours ago, peterboat said:

Curiously, leisure boats are not the problem causing global warming so your efforts are futile. As are Amsterdam's.

Once commercial shipping, aviation and road transport fit solar panels, along with all the steel production in India and China to power their machinery instead of coal, then the planet might be saved. 

Until then, best to plan to mitigate the consequences rather than be all smug about cruising tiny boats about on solar energy, as if it will make a difference.

Just sayin', like....

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 2

8 hours ago, peterboat said:

Dont worry Finnesses next five boats are electric, so clearly the buying boaters are much greener than you, and have an eye on the future, when diesel might be a lot more expensive than it is today. My boat suits me and thats all it has to suit, but as a thought for you, do you think boats will be exempt the soon to be introduced city low emission zones? because I dont

Well my 42 year old Land Rover is allowed in  the ultra low emission zone in london with no charge so I don’t see any reason why diesel boats should be banned. 

Maybe you would be happy on the tideway with a clockwork boat but I’d rather be on something with a reserve of power...and I’m not talking about just leisure boats but the tugs which haul the rubbish barges & the traffic which is building the super sewer & HS2 works...oh and let’s not get started on the plant that’s building those projects...

Im all for people powering their boats or vehicles how they decide...I don’t agree with self serving politicians forcing it. I find it most amusing that those saying we should ban all diesels then think nothing of jumping on a plane for a city break....The irony of Emma Thompson jetting in to talk to the daft protest in london seemed to be lost on the snowflake brigade. 

13 hours ago, peterboat said:

Not always possible though. There are always going to times where you have to push a tide even if for a short while.