saving photos

jenevers

Featured Posts

I would never store anything in the cloud, too much reliance on third parties and if you get cloud storage free the chance you might start getting charged for it or the facility withdrawn. Phones and tablets are not known for having lots of  permanent storage so I would suggest a second-hand computer and store all your photos on the hard drive but back them up on a second one (possibly via the USB connection and portable hard drive) and store that one in a different place. if your IPad and/or your phone has a USB connection you may find you could use that.

You can probably email the photos between devices if you can not gte a transfer cable, again I suspect USB but I bet the IPad will demand a very special cable.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

Just heard the end of a piece on Radio 4 that was about someone who lost her father and then had a fight with whatever internet set-up stored his family photos. I gather she needed help, possibly legal, to get them to let her download the photos. This was not pure cloud storage but Faceache  or some such but teh same applies. The suggestion was they you put all your passwords etc. in your will.

Print them off and put them in a foto album. There are foto albums around for 150 years. Only the ones worth keeping though, not the uneccesary millions peeps seem to need to take each and every day, often whilst walking the streets with a paper cup of coffee!!

Don't use anything Apple. Stupidly expensive with huge restrictions. Don't store anything in the cloud. The companies that run cloud storage will rip you off. Don't print pictures using a cheapo printer (most of them are). The prints will fade. Putting them in a book takes up loads of physical space eventually. Either use a company, such as boots, to print them, expensive. Or get a dye sublimation printer, even more expensive. colour lasers are better than ink jets but are more expensive and also have their faults. Store them on an external disk. The few that you will want to look at on a regular basis, put them in a book.

3 hours ago, jenevers said:

Can I transfer photos on my android phone onto my iPad and then onto the cloud? Can they be saved in other ways?

Only with a pc (or Mac) if you want it to be easy. You copy all the photos to the PC then connect the iPad and sync photos. 

35 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Print them off and put them in a foto album. There are foto albums around for 150 years. Only the ones worth keeping though, not the uneccesary millions peeps seem to need to take each and every day, often whilst walking the streets with a paper cup of coffee!!

I occasionally participate in a photography forum and I am open mouthed in amazement at the number of pictures folk take these days.  One contributor said he had just returned from holiday with 15,000 photographs, yes you read that right, 15,000.  he must have had his finger permanently stuck to the shutter release.  What the **** is he going to do with that many pictures? he won't live long enough to look at them all it's just baffling.   

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, WotEver said:

Only with a pc (or Mac) if you want it to be easy. You copy all the photos to the PC then connect the iPad and sync photos. 

An alternative would be the “Send Anywhere” app, which is free for both Android and iOS, which can transfer almost anything, not just photos, in both directions. 

Edit to add “and it’s free”. 

Edited by WotEver

26 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Have a look at Google Photos. Its free with unlimited storage.

Howard

1 minute ago, howardang said:

Have a look at Google Photos. Its free with unlimited storage.

Yes, but it doesn’t address the question asked in the OP which was how to get the Android photos onto the iPad. 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Yes, but it doesn’t address the question asked in the OP which was how to get the Android photos onto the iPad. 

Quite right- I had  seen that others have already made suggestions for the first part. I was attempting to add my answer to the second part of his question.?

Howard

Edited by howardang

An alternative would be the “Send Anywhere” app, which is free for both Android and iOS, which can transfer almost anything, not just photos, in both directions. 

Edit to add “and it’s free”. 

Sounds good. Thanks

The Google Photos app seems to be available for iOS so could be used to view the android photos on the iPad. (if using default settings on the android they will automatically back up to cloud and that backup is visible from other devices.)

Edited by peter n

7 minutes ago, peter n said:

The Google Photos app seems to be available for iOS so could be used to view the android photos on the iPad. (if using default settings on the android they will automatically back up to cloud and that backup is visible from other devices.)

I can confirm that Google Photos is available for both IOS and my Windows PC. I have it on both systems as a second line back-up for photos. 

Howard

11 hours ago, jenevers said:

My Apple iPad photos are stored on the cloud. Can I transfer photos on my android phone onto my iPad and then onto the cloud? Can they be saved in other ways?

Details here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT205063

you could also transfer your photos to the cloud using Flick then download them to your iPad. , the free account let’s you store 1000 photos

if you have Amazon Prime it comes with Amazon Photos/Drive which gives you unlimited free cloud photo storage which you can also downloaded from

Rather than rely on the vagaries of the cloud, I use a Synology NAS (basically a small network server). It synchronises between my laptop, certain directories on my phone, and also takes a daily backup to the cloud. Also enables me to publish my own photo albums, and run a simple website very easily (here's the boaty bit: http://judgefamily.synology.me/scholargypsy/ ) .   As my camera pushes photos via bluetooth to my phone, they are then backed up to the server as soon as the phone connects to the internet.

When I am at home it appears just like another drive on my laptop, and so very easy to see exactly what it going on.

It's come down in price, now about £150  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Synology-DS218j-Bay-Desktop-Enclosure/dp/B076S8NSCD/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=synology+nas&qid=1557684946&s=gateway&sr=8-3 

I can log on to it from any internet device, and upload or download individual files as required.  It's pretty easy to learn how to use. You do need to make sure you keep the administrator passwords in a very safe place. If you lose them there is nobody who can help you!

I can understand some reluctance to rely on  cloud backup. But it is only one option of many.

I back up to my IP’s cloud on the fly as I get 200Gb free storage. BUT: I also use a freebie app on the pc to backup to a spare drive. I have a NAS which also backs up everything on the fly. I also have a script that copies files to other devices on the network. When out, the camera card is copied to either an iPad or a notebook. Weekly, files are copied to off-site storage.

I’ve been using a digital camera since 1999, and any photos taken are in three places by the next day, and five places if at home.

Why such devotion to backed-up copies?  In a former life I was totally responsible for the company’s entire accounting systems; my life would not have been worth living if I lost data.

ETA: The same goes if I lost the photos of my sons’ weddings or the pics of my grandchildren.

Edited by dor

1 minute ago, jenevers said:

Just wondering if there’s an iPad plug cable with an android plug on the other end.

do they talk to each other?

There was a mum and dad here yesterday with their two teenage kids, they sat and stared into four different fone screens and non of them talked to each other.

11 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Just wondering if there’s an iPad plug cable with an android plug on the other end.

do they talk to each other?

Yes there is - it's called the internet. Upload your photos from the Android then download to the Apple. It really isn't difficult.