Bird poo damage to paint

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I have just had my boat repainted with craftmaster paint as the last paint was jotun that was ruined by bird poo eating into it, she now looks stunning, but was horrified to find the paint lifting and looking like crazy paving under the poo when I washed it off, I can only go to the boat once a week so was wondering if there is a product that will really protect it, I was told by my painter to use Boora Permaseal 10 year Ptfe sealant. can anyone recommend this or any other please.

Neil.

If its oil paint, then that's what happens - a bit late now but a different type of paint would be far more resilient, for anyone else considering a repaint. 

In this case I would suggest the best polish you can get (silicon based?). 

Or paint the boat white so it blends in.  A quick drying paint that cures quite hard and fast is the thing. I use vehicle sympathetic enamel, really meant for spraying but if painted fast with roller or brush a good finish can be obtained. I did my roof in the old Valentines Valflash Vauxhall Wavecrest blue about 20 years ago, still good and glossy when I wash it and unaffected by bird poo.  Vehicle ICE Belco synthetic enamel is also very good, also same stuff by Ault Wieborg ex Bergers is good.

I would certainly do the roof with this kind of paint as it won't matter much if your finish is not that good, it''l help anti-slip.

Edited by bizzard

Spending more on having a boat painted than I do on buying one isn't a modern problem.

It's reputed it was the reason Arthur Bray packed it all in and was heard muttering "Bloody bird poo! …… that's it for me" as he clambered off the back of Raymond with his cardboard suitcase and miniature collection of trilbies.

There is a solution however, wrap your boat in cling film when you leave it each time.

What on earth do you do when passing another boat forces you into the bushes?  It's a fraught business this boating thing.