Too Many Volunters Lock Keepers (?) (Or, arguably, too few, depending on your viewpoint!)

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

This is not particularly a moan - just stating our experiences of today.

At Atherstone locks, there were 6 volunteer lock keepers in some way involving themselves in operation of just the top 4 locks.

So what was the total number of volunteer lock keepers involved in operation of any of the remaining 7 locks?  Yep, you've guessed it - zero.

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

At Atherstone locks, there were 6 volunteer lock keepers in some way involving themselves in operation of just the top 4 locks.

So what was the total number of volunteer lock keepers involved in operation of any of the remaining 7 locks?  Yep, you've guessed it - zero.

I was only thinking about this earlier today, how some posters think we should be eternally grateful for the largess of the vollies, as if we would be unable to progress our journey without their invaluable 'help'. 

How ARE we supposed to cope when we arrive at a lock with no volly? How did you manage the seven unmanned locks Alan? I'm racking my brains to figure it out..... 

• Happy 1

That type of thing has generally been my experience as well.  At Atherstone last summer the volunteers were working the top two locks only, but as I was single handed in the hot weather I was glad of the help by the time I got there.  Also last year at Hatton, there were 4 volunteers on the one lock by the welcome station, no help on the other 20 locks.

However we came up Hatton today and had an excellent experience with the 3 volunteers there.  We were met about 6 locks up from the bottom and every lock was set ahead right to the top for us.  You could not ask more and we made it up in well under 3 hours thanks to the help.  So today has restored my faith in volunteers a bit.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

Yes setting ahead is the one thing vollies can do that is really useful. 

Most seem to want to tell you to "stay on the boat" while they do the paddles on "their lock" though. 

Ok, closing up behind too!! 

5 hours ago, jam said:

Similar at Audlem, the volleys appear to favour lock 13, none on the rest of the flight. To be fair lock 13 is closest to the pub?

Can't have to many inebriated vollies can we now!

• Haha 1

Personally as a single handler I'm grateful for any help at locks whether that's volockies or just kids closing gates for me. I guess volockies like working in groups (it's probably part of their training in order to deal with people who may be less than grateful). I think it's a bit much to blame them for being at some looks but not others. Anyway, the ones who took me down the Cain hill flight were excellent.

Edited by blackrose
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

This could be something to do with the shed which is their base (and which is presumably equipped with a kettle) being beside the top lock. 

29 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh I see. You got on your bike and went home?

No he got so fed up by being interfered with ,he went for a ride to upset dog gists fishists rambling wanderers and other cyclists, merrily assisting uphill boatists by shutting gates on ready locks. 

24 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

No he got so fed up by being interfered with ,he went for a ride to upset dog gists fishists rambling wanderers and other cyclists, merrily assisting uphill boatists by shutting gates on ready locks. 

Actually we had a good and swift passage down Atherstone, albeit with a planned break in the middle to go shopping.

What I did not however was that at no point did any volunteer ask if we wanted assistance before starting to give it.  This has been true for every volunteer on the trip so far.

As one of the documented outcomes we had from our meeting with CRT's head of Health and Safety after a previous incident said.....

"The VLK should always ask the boater before offering assistance"

I find it deeply disappointing that once again none have.

Whether the training does emphasise this point, I can't say, but if it does, even the "best" volunteers we are encountering seem to think the instruction can be ignored.

Don't get me wrong, other than that, yesterday they were all as good as gold, but it shouldn't be happening, and I guess we should take it up with CRT yet again.

2 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

So not grumpy then ! We will be off shortly when mrs S gets over the Australian flu...

No, we haven't met any grumpy ones so far.  Nor any obvious "Jobsworths". 

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

Personally as a single handler I'm grateful for any help at locks whether that's volockies or just kids closing gates for me. I guess volockies like working in groups (it's probably part of their training in order to deal with people who may be less than grateful). I think it's a bit much to blame them for being at some looks but not others. Anyway, the ones who took me down the Cain hill flight were excellent.

Completely agree. I am always more than happy when they give their time to help my boating. Without them helping,  with the staff getting older now, it is approaching the time when I may have to get off and help doing a lock ? 

36 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

merrily assisting uphill boatists by shutting gates on ready locks. 

Lol yes I've had this a few times too, infuriating as a single handler. Stop on lock landing, tie the boat, walk up and set the lock, open gate, walk back to boat, untie and set off, look up, gate now closed again. WTF!!!

Spot interfering old goat on towpath, ask if he closed the gate, he (always a he) says "Yes, lock gates should be closed at all times so I closed it"....

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

"Yes, lock gates should be closed at all times"

Sounds like a good excuse for "CMing": "Well I would have moved, but the lock gates were closed at all times".

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Sounds like a good excuse for "CMing": "Well I would have moved, but the lock gates were closed at all times".

We had a would-be CMer on here two or three years ago claiming it was dangerous to move their boat when it was raining, as the lock sides became slippery etc. They were looking for support in their dispute over it with CRT. 

I'm not sure they got much...

21 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

What I did not however was that at no point did any volunteer ask if we wanted assistance before starting to give it.  This has been true for every volunteer on the trip so far.

As one of the documented outcomes we had from our meeting with CRT's head of Health and Safety after a previous incident said.....

I find it deeply disappointing that once again none have.

Whether the training does emphasise this point, I can't say, but if it does, even the "best" volunteers we are encountering seem to think the instruction can be ignored.

What are you (& CRT) counting as 'offering assistance' here? E.g. if you were approaching a lock, would volockies be 'assisting' unduly if they started to set it for you and/or opened the gate(s)? Or is it just once you're in the lock that there's a perceived issue? Not being funny, just curious as to where the lines are 'officially' drawn.

We have also experienced the Atherstone volunteers and their reluctance to go below the third lock down. And Hilmorton where the bottom lock is the only one where you get assistance. And also the top three at Hatton. But we have also, just last week, experienced the Rochdale into Manchester, where the wonderful volunteer Ian met us at lock 65 and on his own helped us all the way down to number 81. Thanks Ian.

• Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, magictime said:

What are you (& CRT) counting as 'offering assistance' here? E.g. if you were approaching a lock, would volockies be 'assisting' unduly if they started to set it for you and/or opened the gate(s)? Or is it just once you're in the lock that there's a perceived issue? Not being funny, just curious as to where the lines are 'officially' drawn.

For me it is when the start touching the lock with the boat in.  Except on big river locks (Severn etc), when your boat in in a lock I believe you should be in charge, and the volunteer should ask before they do anything initially, and then before opening padels should look for the OK to proceed.  That does not often happed, and some are exactly the opposite insisting that they are incharge and if you want to go through the lock it is on their terms.

4 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Not one of the last half dozen Vlockies I have come across has asked if I wanted them to assist.   I pointed out to one I enjoyed working the locks myself to which he replied "so do I that is why I volunteer" as he continued to work the lock!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, magictime said:

4 hours ago, john6767 said:

For me it is when the start touching the lock with the boat in.  Except on big river locks (Severn etc), when your boat in in a lock I believe you should be in charge, and the volunteer should ask before they do anything initially, and then before opening padels should look for the OK to proceed.  That does not often happed, and some are exactly the opposite insisting that they are incharge and if you want to go through the lock it is on their terms.

^^^^^^^
Yes, exactly this..................

I have no issue with them setting locks up for me, but they are supposed to ask if my boat is involved in their actions.