anchor weight

kingswood

Featured Posts

31 minutes ago, kingswood said:

whats best weight anchor for a 40 ft narrowboat with not much room to store ,have read all about rope and chain

popcorn ................ you don't like that comment? 

sorry about that ..................

Maybe you could tell us what warp you think you will carry, and what style of anchor, where you intend to go............

Edited by LadyG
  • Unimpressed 1

30 minutes ago, kingswood said:

whats best weight anchor for a 40 ft narrowboat with not much room to store ,have read all about rope and chain

You could use a 30kg Danforth or a 7kg Fortress.

Without knowing what type of anchor you are thinking of, and, what your budget is, there is no answer to your question.

Just bought and fitted mine, 41 foot narrowboat. This is the advice I was given for the main river I will use, that being the Trent.

14Kg Darnforth, 25 foot of 3/8 chain, 50 foot of 14mm rope and a swivel shackle between the chain and the rope.

8mm chain weighs in at over 1kg per metre. Physically moving a 14kg Danforth with 20m of chain attached can be a challenge for those of us of a slighter stature. However, if you're a powerlifter then the weights will be trivial. I've only ever used anchors in tidal areas with small GRP yachts so I'm not going to offer any advice about which one would be suitable for a 40' NB but whatever is chosen should be something that the crew can actually deploy. A 30kg anchor and all the chain in the world will be no use if it was moved inside last season and granny now can't get it overboard in an emergency.

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, kingswood said:

What sort of river bed are you planning on breaking down over?

The thing is, as you must already know as you say you have researched anchor chains and warps, the bigger and heavier your anchor gear, the move likely it is to stop and hold the boat in the event of an engine failure. 

Set against this (as BP says above), the bigger and heavier your anchor gear, the less likely it is that you or your crew are going to have the physical strength to deploy it quickly or soon enough in an emergency. 

So it becomes a value judgement that only you can make. No-one here can tell you what to buy. Only give you their opinions which are no more valid than yours. 

50 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

A 30kg anchor and all the chain in the world will be no use if it was moved inside last season and granny now can't get it overboard in an emergency.

I never cease to be amazed.

It is called planning - why would you leave your anchor stowed 'inside' when venturing into an environment when you may need to use it ?

If the engine is stopped, you won't be doing any steering so no need for 'Granny' to have to hoist it overboard - if you can lift a 13kg gas bottle (weight 26kgs), a full 20 litre toilet cassette, or a 20kg bag of coal you'll have no trouble lifting a 30kg anchor when the adrenalin is flowing.

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I never cease to be amazed.

It is called planning - why would you leave your anchor stowed 'inside' when venturing into an environment when you may need to use it ?

If the engine is stopped, you won't be doing any steering so no need for 'Granny' to have to hoist it overboard - if you can lift a 13kg gas bottle (weight 26kgs), a full 20 litre toilet cassette, or a 20kg bag of coal you'll have no trouble lifting a 30kg anchor when the adrenalin is flowing.

Considering that my grannies have been gone for over 30yrs this is not my personal experience. I have, however, observed boats on the Ribble/Douglas without an anchor to be seen. If the boat has one it must be stowed under a load of clutter meaning that if an engine failure happened rounding Asland Lamp then a bad situation would be made much worse. Depending on the boat and waters I'm sailing I'm comfortable with  7kg/10m/20m and 14/20/30 combinations. I can get them deployed quickly on my own without mechanical assistance. Your boats, methods and capabilities will differ I'm sure.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/05/2019 at 08:14, Kendorr said:

Just bought and fitted mine, 41 foot narrowboat. This is the advice I was given for the main river I will use, that being the Trent.

14Kg Darnforth, 25 foot of 3/8 chain, 50 foot of 14mm rope and a swivel shackle between the chain and the rope.

I've never used a swivel, they are expensive, but I thought they were for prolonged anchoring in a tideway to stop rope "twisting"

My suspicion is a couple of 56lb Avery weights tied to bow and stern mooring lines and lobbed in will do a reasonably good job of dragging the boat to a stop in a current of a couple of knots. FAR easier to recover too. 

One day I'll try it out and report back. 

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

My suspicion is a couple of 56lb Avery weights tied to bow and stern mooring lines and lobbed in will do a reasonably good job of dragging the boat to a stop in a current of a couple of knots. FAR easier to recover too. 

or not, I'm not sure if you were being IRONic,  but yer man has prolly never seen a 56lb weight used in anger/anchor. imho best use a tractor engine 

What happened to Avery ? 

Edited by LadyG

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I did that mooring for lunch on the Nene

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

or not, I'm not sure if you were being IRONic,  but yer mn has never seen a 56lb weight What happened to Avery ? 

W & T Avery Ltd. is a British manufacturer of weighing machines. The company was founded in the early 18th century and took the name W & T Avery in 1818. Having been taken over by GEC in 1979 the company was later renamed into GEC-Avery. The company became Avery Berkel in 1993 when GEC acquired the Dutch company Berkel. After the take over by Weigh-Tronix in 2000 the company was again renamed to be called Avery Weigh-Tronix. The company is based in Smethwick, West Midlands, United Kingdom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W_%26_T_Avery

10 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You live on the edge.....?

18 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

might as well just save a few quid, and jump in the river with a bit of string on that T thingy

btw, what is that T thingy about?

Edited by LadyG

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It's so tin-slug owners think they have a boat.

Seeing that I would suspect the greatest majority of contributors to this forum own what you describe as "Tin Slugs" it makes me wonder why you deign to mix with them? (or are you trying to convert them? If so I think you have a forlorn task on your hands!)?

Howard

17 minutes ago, howardang said:

Seeing that I would suspect the greatest majority of contributors to this forum own what you describe as "Tin Slugs" it makes me wonder why you deign to mix with them? (or are you trying to convert them? If so I think you have a forlorn task on your hands!)?

Howard

I have been both a tin-slug owner and a Tupperware owner for many years

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

I've never used a swivel, they are expensive, but I thought they were for prolonged anchoring in a tideway to stop rope "twisting"

They are useful on the riser when you are "properly" anchored, i.e. More than one anchor out.

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Tried similar as a stern anchor once. Completely ineffective, and caused more problems than it was meant to solve. It was on a tidal river, though.

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

And what happened? Did you still get dragged over one of the millions of weirs closely spaced along every river and drown, as several posters here predict will happen if an anchor weighing less than a small car is used?