Post Restante at Rode Heath PO on the T&M

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

Has anyone sucessfully used the Post Restante service at Rode Heath Post Office near lock 53 on the T&M?

We've had problems with Post Restante at Sale Post Office (Bridgewater Canal) with the staff claimimg "you can't use this service for private mail", or "you'll have to pay" or "is it from Amazon?" or "Post Restante? What's that then?". So we've given up and continued on our travels. However we still would like to get hold of the parcel and wondered if Rode Heath PO might be more accommodating. I've tried ringing them but they don't seem to answer their phone.

I do find the Post Restante service a bit hit and miss depending very much on the staff in the Post Office in question. For instance at Crick they couldn't be more helpful.

Post restante is down to the individual post offices, some will allow it and some won't. 

Might be a good idea to create a list of those that will and those that won't. 

Crick post office is always obliging as are Napton and Braunstone. 

Might be worth phoning Rode Heath to enquire. 

Edited by reg

Poste Restante does seem to be a bit hit and miss. I generally find that those POs inside WH Smith will not accept Poste Restante. As it is normally only prescriptions I ask the nearest pharmacy if I can get it sent there. 

3 hours ago, pearley said:

Poste Restante does seem to be a bit hit and miss. I generally find that those POs inside WH Smith will not accept Poste Restante. As it is normally only prescriptions I ask the nearest pharmacy if I can get it sent there. 

I find it hit and miss. 

The POs in shops don’t tend to do it claiming they don’t have room for storage and when I find myself explaining at a PO counter what Poste Restante is I tend to walk away. 

OK, For reference here's a list of Post Offices that I know accept Post Restante.

Crick

Banbury

Birmingham City Centre

Ellesmere

Llangollen

Marple

Napton

Braunston

Chester (Northgate Street)

Rode Heath

Sheffield (Wilkos)

Droitwich

Stockton Brook (Caldon Canal)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Feel free to add to the list.

These do

Hinckley, Coventry Road (near wharf Inn) did a couple of years ago but worth checking first.

Hockley Heath, Stratford Road (nr chippy) 

Stoke Golding (Ashby Canal) 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Stoke Bruene DOES NOT 

Edited by reg

2 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

OK, For reference here's a list of Post Offices that I know accept Post Restante.

Crick

Banbury

Birmingham City Centre

Ellesmere

Llangollen

Marple

Napton

Braunston

Chester (Northgate Street)

Rode Heath

Sheffield (Wilkos)

Droitwich

Stockton Brook (Caldon Canal)

+

Todmorden 

Slaithwaite

Nantwich

We have used this service frequently. 

But.

We always tend to ring the intended Post Office ahead of any delivery to confirm. Some have no knowledge of the system...

Second but.

Avoid large conurbations though. Our package was in Bath, somewhere. Eventually it was tracked down.

Great service though, normally.

3 hours ago, jake_crew said:

I see Braunston and Braunstone listed.

Can Reg and Alway Swilbyl confirm that they mean Braunston, the centre of the canal universe AND Braunstone, near Liecester.

I mean Braunston as in centre of the canal universe.

Skipton Post Office was brilliant, we had replacement glass sent PR when our stove glass smashed.

Wouldn't bother with Leighton Buzzard, even though they say they do it. It's a long sad story, involving a chaotic postal service during the 'Beast from the East' last year!

Atherstone delivery office, very friendly and helpful

Note

I have put in a suggestion, in feedback and suggestions, that the results of this thread be collated and be put into a stickie thread named POST RESTANTE OFFICES. Do you think this is a good idea? If so then support in the feedback thread might prove useful.

Edited by reg
  • Greenie 2