For lovers of Machine shops

Featured Posts

What a fascinating video, demonstrating a wide selection of machining skills!

One thing I don't get - maybe I missed a bit - is how the oscillation of the rack converts into continuous rotary motion in the same direction. There must be a ratchet bearing or device in each spindle but I didn't notice this pointed out. 

Machine shop work is so creative, I'd forgotten.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

One thing I don't get - maybe I missed a bit - is how the oscillation of the rack converts into continuous rotary motion in the same direction. There must be a ratchet bearing or device in each spindle but I didn't notice this pointed out. 

I think there are ratchet mechanisms in both large pinions wheels working opposite to each other. When the rack moves to the right the left hand pawl comes in and turns that pinion clockwise and turning the right hand pinion anti clockwise while its ratchet pawl is off in ''free wheel''.   When the rack moves to the left the right pinion pawl clicks in and turns it whilst the left hand pinions ratchet pawl is off ''free wheel'' and why the drive is taken off from the right hand pinion. :closedeyes:

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The caption mentions “one way bearings” it’s almost like two bicycle freewheels opposed.

If I had stayed in my engineering apprenticeship I could have done that now, I think. Very impressive. 

(Regarding apprenticeships, I was too young to make a decision, 15. I believe apprenticeships ought to be from a later age, say, 19 or 20 Ish!)

25 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

If I had stayed in my engineering apprenticeship I could have done that now, I think. Very impressive. 

(Regarding apprenticeships, I was too young to make a decision, 15. I believe apprenticeships ought to be from a later age, say, 19 or 20 Ish!)

I can't agree.  By 16 one is already picking up bad work practices.  The  apprentices who started training later were allways harder to 'bring on' and, with a very few notable exceptions, never as good at their craft.

You need dirty finger nail;s to make one of those, You would need to wear gloves if you run a burger-hot dog or ice cream van as your daily job.

Edited by bizzard

Bah. That's easy. Try doing that in MY shed with the busted hammer, the knackered Myford, the arc welder full of woodlice and the shoebox full of blunt drills. THAT'S proper British Engineering.