Insulation - DIY spray foam?

Featured Posts

On 13/05/2019 at 07:38, ivan&alice said:

6) thin layer of aerosol spray foam (to bond celotex and fill any gaps) 

You will find that there are two species of aerosol foam, gap filling and adhesive. The adhesive is just sticky and doesn't expand.

If you attempt to fix your Celotex with the wrong type you will spend an exhausting and fruitless few minutes trying to push the board back onto the shell and a further half hour hacking it all off. DAMHIK.

• Horror 1

On 14/05/2019 at 09:19, rupertbear said:

You will find that there are two species of aerosol foam, gap filling and adhesive. The adhesive is just sticky and doesn't expand.

If you attempt to fix your Celotex with the wrong type you will spend an exhausting and fruitless few minutes trying to push the board back onto the shell and a further half hour hacking it all off. DAMHIK.

Passing on a tip from a chap 2 down on the marina who used for his ceiling, ACROPROPS! 

If you are soloing a project and need something held but down have purchase for a clamp these things are awesome, just pressure up across the boat and any board you use isn't going anywhere during dry time

On 17/05/2019 at 10:38, Wildling said:

Passing on a tip from a chap 2 down on the marina who used for his ceiling, ACROPROPS! 

The problem with Acroprops is that they’re heavy and they only support at a single point. More usual would be to have a piece of 2x1 crossways with a three or four pieces wedged between it and the floor, pushing it against the ceiling panel. Lighter than a prop and a spread load. 

Odd - I wrote this yesterday and was sure I’d posted it...

9 hours ago, Neil Smith said:

Acroprops are a bit heavy duty for this sort of work, what I used are light weight plaster board props that you adjust with a one handed ratchet trigger, really cheap from tool station.

Neil

Even better than my idea :)

https://www.toolstation.com/extension-support-prop/p66745

• Greenie 1

buy 2 so you can support the boards at both ends, they are the ones I have but be careful as the plastic ends snap off if you put too much pressure on them, I broke both mine but tool station replaced no problem.

Neil