Basic inverter questions

Liz Pea

Featured Posts

26 minutes ago, chang shan said:

My experience of inverters is that they just drain your batteries in no time. I wouldn't buy another one myself. I'm surprised people still use them. I'd advise a generator, it covers all your needs If they change over time.

I'm using my inverter now (at 1.00am) to charge my laptop. Couldn't use a genny for that, could I?

And not all inverters drain your batteries. Only the bigger, and cheaper ones, and only if you leave them on all the time. Turn them on only when you want them (like your genny suggestion) and there is no problem. Run your boat engine when using a big inverter to power something high power. Saves buying a genny!

2 hours ago, chang shan said:

My experience of inverters is that they just drain your batteries in no time. I wouldn't buy another one myself. I'm surprised people still use them. 

Surely it's the mains appliances run from the inverter that chiefly drains the batteries rather than the inverter itself? My inverter draws less than an amp. I think better PSW units may draw 2. 

If your inverter was draining your batteries in no time you must have been using it to run high power mains appliances or left something on without realising it like an immersion heater. Or your batteries were already knackered. Anyway I wouldn't be without mine.

7 hours ago, chang shan said:

My experience of inverters is that they just drain your batteries in no time. I wouldn't buy another one myself. I'm surprised people still use them. I'd advise a generator, it covers all your needs If they change over time.

........and keep all your neighbours annoyed all evening! Great public spirit.

9 hours ago, chang shan said:

A very good wind up!! Are you really fred Flinstone in disguise?

10 hours ago, chang shan said:

And how do you propose using a generator at 10 o'clock at night and keeping within the Rules and not disrupting your neighbours?

Edited by Graham Davis

I'm not spoilt, and I can accept not being able to do what I want when I want. This lifestyle has its limitations if you are a constant cruiser and don't live in a 'sardine city', as this lady is considering doing, where you do not have to moor close to others. Constant cruisers (real boaters) have grit and are tough people! 

• 10 minutes ago, chang shan said:

I'm not spoilt, and I can accept not being able to do what I want when I want. This lifestyle has its limitations if you are a constant cruiser and don't live in a 'sardine city', as this lady is considering doing, where you do not have to moor close to others. Constant cruisers (real boaters) have grit and are tough people! 

Image result for popcorn eating emoji
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, chang shan said:

Wow!!

41 minutes ago, Ray T said:
  • Image result for popcorn eating emoji

Do you have enough to share?

10 hours ago, blackrose said:

Surely it's the mains appliances run from the inverter that chiefly drains the batteries rather than the inverter itself? My inverter draws less than an amp. I think better PSW units may draw 2. 

If your inverter was draining your batteries in no time you must have been using it to run high power mains appliances or left something on without realising it like an immersion heater. Or your batteries were already knackered. Anyway I wouldn't be without mine.

My inverter uses 4A if on but running nothing. In power saving mode it won’t start up for some of the smaller stuff I want to power.

like MtB, I just turn it on when needed, and run the engine if using something powerful, like the Hoover, or a heat gun.

I will resist. Its hard but i will behave myself.

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

Silly post, just rather transparently trying to be provocative. 

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, Graham Davis said:

Let's stop feeding the troll/spammer

And there we have it,  the constant terror because somebody is a little different from the collective and shock horror they might be trolling or spamming....... get over yourself.

Phil

Just now, Phil Ambrose said:

And there we have it,  the constant terror because somebody is a little different from the collective and shock horror they might be trolling or spamming....... get over yourself.

Phil

Nobody cares, Phill. 

Scroll back!  In the wild, When little gangs of beta's form thinking they're safe in a group, and the pack instinct kicks in, the alpha smashes them. You 'have' to! 

I'd rather be civil and stick to the issues on forums.

Thanks for the support Phil.

41 minutes ago, chang shan said:

Scroll back!  In the wild, When little gangs of beta's form thinking they're safe in a group, and the pack instinct kicks in, the alpha smashes them. You 'have' to! 

I'd rather be civil and stick to the issues on forums.

Thanks for the support Phil.

I think some of the remarks from some forum members just mean it depends on your take on tough? Many many of us have lived many winters on the cut without hook ups ,myself probably more than many. There is a difference between tough and trying to make ones life a little more comfortable. A little ditty of a real life scenario for you. There was a thug who used to use a pub I used some years ago. You know the type Very tight T shirt with bulging biceps and a menacing look at everybody all the time. he was well known for assaulting people often quite seriously his lovely girlfriend often used to " Trip over " and be seen with bruising or a black eye. He didnt know what I did for a living and one day I checked him out. He had two convictions for indecency with children. he came into the pub one evening throwing his weight about and I took him to one side and before he lamped me I quietly explained how people in this pub didnt know of his convictions. The big toughie left like a little lamb.

• Greenie 2