Leeds & Liverpool Canal - Deer Trap?

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Having been to a lot of deer strikes by vehicles, I can say that often the damage caused to the vehicle is minimal since deer are quite tall and tend to get their legs swept away and come across the bonnet (except with Chelsea Tractors).

We arrived back at Heathrow after 24 hours travelling and our 'pick-up' was not there, she called and explained that she had hit a deer coming down the A1.

The Deer had gone thru' the front of the car, thru the radiator and wrapped itself around the engine.

The car was a Suzuki Swift.

Deer seem to cause quite a lot of damage to vehicles.

We had to get into London and take a coach home.

Some folks are so selfish !!!

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We arrived back at Heathrow after 24 hours travelling and our 'pick-up' was not there, she called and explained that she had hit a deer coming down the A1.

The Deer had gone thru' the front of the car, thru the radiator and wrapped itself around the engine.

The car was a Suzuki Swift.

Deer seem to cause quite a lot of damage to vehicles.

We had to get into London and take a coach home.

Some folks are so selfish !!!

From what I can see the Swift has got a very square front, as have Chelsea Tractors, which tends to stop them going over the top and usually breaking/cracking the windscreen. There seems to be a fashion these days for SUV lookalike vehicles and with these the deer probably wouldn't go over the top either. That is where the difference between hitting a deer and a badger lies, the deer will often go over the top of the vehicle, a badger never does. It is also a reason I'm a bit suspicious of all of the dead badgers seen lying at the roadside, consider it a conspiracy theory if you like, but I'm not convinced that a lot of them have actually been hit by vehicles:unsure:.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond
  • Greenie 1

One of the very real dangers of driving in the Middle East is hitting a camel - being long legged, the front of most vehicles takes out the legs, and the body (and they have a very large one) comes through the windscreen with often fatal results for the occupants.

Interesting comments about vehicle/deer collisions. The deer I mainly come across are Muntjac and Sika deer and cars hitting these do seem to be expensively damaged - air con units, especially seem vulnerable. The deer in my garden are Muntjacs, as are the ones seen in the canal locally.

1 hour ago, LEO said:

Interesting comments about vehicle/deer collisions. The deer I mainly come across are Muntjac and Sika deer and cars hitting these do seem to be expensively damaged - air con units, especially seem vulnerable. The deer in my garden are Muntjacs, as are the ones seen in the canal locally.

I think most of the deer strikes we had on Haldon Hill were either Fallow Deer or Roe Deer, Muntjac's are a bit shorter and squatter I think and so the damage caused by one of those may well be different. I have to say I had never seen a Muntjac until on the canals when one was stood by the canal, totally unconcerned during the day eating grass. Because it was so short I went to look up what it was.

Regarding collisions with camels, by my reckoning a Camel comes in at about half a metric tonne (500Kg) so one of them coming through the windscreen is going to smart a bit:huh:. Having picked up numerous dead Roe/Fallow deer, they weigh about the same as a medium/large dog say (50Kg) so an order of magnitude less. 

My daughter, who spent four years living in Sasketchawan and did some driving out in the wilds between the cities, told me that moose are a problem out there, posing the same danger as Mike Tee's camels, i.e. coming in through the windscreen. Similar sized animal I suppose. She came across one once, while driving her 4x4 (standard vehicle for the area), cautiously being on a remote mountain road with five children in the car, and followed the correct but slow procedure; stop and wait for it to walk off. There are bears too but she never came across one of those. She's now returned from Canada and does not have a car; London has other very different but greater problems for drivers.

On 08/05/2019 at 22:39, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Looking at the design of the canal it is clearly difficult for the deer to get out because the canal bank is a sheer wall at least a couple of feet high

Partly due to the amount of coal mining subsidence around Wigan, there are a couple of disused locks and some very odd levels with the towpath now much higher than water level.

4 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

One of the very real dangers of driving in the Middle East is hitting a camel - being long legged, the front of most vehicles takes out the legs, and the body (and they have a very large one) comes through the windscreen with often fatal results for the occupants.

One of the very real dangers of driving in south east Asia is hitting an elephant - being rather big...........

Now no elephant jokes please.

4 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Regarding collisions with camels, by my reckoning a Camel comes in at about half a metric tonne (500Kg) so one of them coming through the windscreen is going to smart a bit:huh:

Camels also have much longer legs enabling them to climb out of the canal more easily than deer.

This is no doubt why we do not see dead ones floating in the cut.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, carlt said:

Camels also have much longer legs enabling them to climb out of the canal more easily than deer.

This is no doubt why we do not see dead ones floating in the cut.

S'pose camel jokes are ok.?

9 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Now no elephant jokes please.

24 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

How about a combination ?

The elephant asked the camel: "Why do you have your breasts on your back?"

The camel clearly irritated by the outrage of modesty replies: "What a silly question from someone who has a dick on his face."

Or, if you simply want the Camel jokes :

An Army Captain is assigned to a remote desert post in Iraq. During inspection, he notices a camel tied up outside the barracks. He asks the soldier, "why is that camel there?"

The soldier says: "There are 250 men here and no women. Sometimes men get urges."

A month later the Captain has urges himself. He puts the ladder behind the camel, drops his trousers and has sex with the camel. He asks the soldier: "Is that how the men do it?"

"No sir, they usually ride it to the brothel in town!"

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Since the "Surgeon's Photo" has been proven to be a hoax it can now be revealed that it was Nellie who jumped into the Leeds and Liverpool to evade the tracker hounds but eventually managed to climb out and resume her escape.

Hoaxed_photo_of_the_Loch_Ness_monster.jp

45 minutes ago, carlt said:

Since the "Surgeon's Photo" has been proven to be a hoax it can now be revealed that it was Nellie who jumped into the Leeds and Liverpool to evade the tracker hounds but eventually managed to climb out and resume her escape.

Hoaxed_photo_of_the_Loch_Ness_monster.jp

She had lovely soft skin afterwards from the lanolin with the sheep being washed in the canal.

Jen ?

16 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

One of the very real dangers of driving in south east Asia is hitting an elephant - being rather big...........

I think this would be just as dangerous for normal sized people too Dr Bob: no need to accuse the poor old elephant of being "fat-ist".

Nothing beats hitting a wombat in a car. They usually tear off either the front or rear suspension, then roll over get up and wander off. They appear to be made out of the stuff they use to make aircraft black boxes .

only way to be sure is hit them with a truck.

they laugh at chelsea tractors.

we drive very carefully at night in oz

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

Nothing beats hitting a wombat in a car. They usually tear off either the front or rear suspension, then roll over get up and wander off. They appear to be made out of the stuff they use to make aircraft black boxes .

only way to be sure is hit them with a truck.

they laugh at chelsea tractors.

we drive very carefully at night in oz

Unfortunately the internet seems devoid of any good Wombat jokes, apart from the Purple Wombat and Billy joke which is too stupid to even think about, let alone reproduce here.

Roland, 'bout time you were back 'ere.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

What is the Australian animal that most resembles the Australian male? The wombat, because he eats, roots, and leaves.

Why did the wombat cross the road? To see its flat mate

I refer to the word 'good'! ?

Q: Why are wombats green?

A: So they can hide on snooker tables without being seen.

Looks like the deer are starting to like the canals around Manchester as well  (https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2019/05/16/deer-spotted-swimming-in-canal-before-running-through-manchester/    ). I do love the comment of the PCSO though when asked by the city CCTV operator for a description, "..erm, it's brown and it's a deer.."?

9 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Looks like the deer are starting to like the canals around Manchester as well  (https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2019/05/16/deer-spotted-swimming-in-canal-before-running-through-manchester/    ). I do love the comment of the PCSO though when asked by the city CCTV operator for a description, "..erm, it's brown and it's a deer.."?

Looks like a muntjac from the shot of it in traffic, size of a big dog.