Timings for Stratford to Stourport via two routes

Philip

Featured Posts

I'm looking at adding the Stratford canal to the list of canals I currently haven't done and would like to do it as part of an extended Stourport Ring in a few weeks.

Being unfamiliar with this part of the network, can I ask which route from Stratford-upon-Avon to Hawford Junction on the River Severn is quicker please; via the River Avon to Tewkesbury and up the Severn, or would it be quicker turning round at Stratford and then back up to Kings Norton and onto Droitwich and Hawford via Tardebigge? And could I do either journey in say two full days?

Thanks

Edited by Philip

16 minutes ago, Philip said:

I'm looking at adding the Stratford canal to the list of canals I currently haven't done and would like to do it as part of an extended Stourport Ring in a few weeks.

Being unfamiliar with this part of the network, can I ask which route from Stratford-upon-Avon to Hawford Junction on the River Severn is quicker please; via the River Avon to Tewkesbury and up the Severn, or would it be quicker turning round at Stratford and then back up to Kings Norton and onto Droitwich and Hawford via Tardebigge? And could I do either journey in say two full days?

Thanks

I would say no to the 2 days which ever way you go, but no doubt some one will come along and say a piece of cake!

Going via the Avon and Severn I think you could do it in 3 days, but it seems a shame to rush the Avon, and you would need to buy a week licence anyway so taking at least an additional day on the Avon would be well worth it, if you have not done it before it is fab, and going down stream is much easier than up as the locks are fierce going up.

Going up the Stratford canal and down the W&B I think would ultimately  take a bit longer, it’s a lot of locks.

You can play about with canalplan to get an idea of the timings.

Edited by john6767
  • Greenie 1

The river route is quickest at three full standard days cruising. If you are up for two days of up to twelve hours cruising you just might make it in two days but I would plan it as three even if just trying to transit quickly. It’s about 16 hours down the Avon and then a day up the Severn to Hawford.

Going via the canal route is over 100 locks. It’s at least three 12 hour days via that route. I could possibly do Droitwich to Stratford in 3 x 12 hours but it’s another three hours plus to Hawford from Droitwich.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I'm looking at adding the Stratford canal to the list of canals I currently haven't done

How do you do that then? If it's not currently on the list of canals you haven't done, then presumably you have done it and now want to undo it!

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

How do you do that then? If it's not currently on the list of canals you haven't done, then presumably you have done it and now want to undo it!

Thanks lol - made a bit of a murrayism of that!

Edited by Philip

Thanks for the replies. I don't mind 12 hour days since there will be plenty of light. Rough idea of a plan is stopping at Wilmcote the previous evening and then getting as far as I can to a mooring site and hopefully a pub on the Avon for the next night. What time is the Avon lock at Tewkesbury open from and to - read that it is manned? Also any idea about the journey time from Tewkesbury to Stourport?

Edited by Philip

If Stratford to Hawford has become Wilmcote to Stourport in the same time then forget it. It was a gamble as it was. You are now touching the bounds of what’s possible in three long days and being river navigations you have to factor in that you might get nowhere.

Starting at Wilmcote I don’t think it’s realistic to plan on being past Tewkesbury after two days. A couple of years ago I cruised single handed from Chealybeate bridge (bottom of Wilmcote flight) to Evesham in one day and on to Tewkesbury the next. I arrived at about the time the Avon lock was closing. It has shorter hours than the Severn locks.

As for the Severn upstream that depends on the boat and the conditions but your problem is that the last lock is only a mile short of Stourport. Some info on the boat would be helpful. I would struggle to do Tewkesbury to Stourport in a day because my engine doesn’t have the cooling capability to cruise quickly enough upstream.

Is this a hire boat? The Avon Ring is a challenging one week hire even from bases on it’s route so to contemplate it from Stourport is unrealistic and I would suggest unfair to the hire base and the next prospective hirer who will suffer the consequences should you fail.

JP

11 hours ago, Philip said:

Thanks

I'd endorse everything Capt Pegg says, and just to emphasise that you can't really plan anything with certainty on rivers, and certainly not the Avon.  Those who haven't cruised it probably don't appreciate how volatile it is, very similar to the river Aire in that conditions can change from one hour to the next - at any time of year.  It is idyllic though on a good day so I wouldn't advise rushing it.

Tewkesbury to Stourport is doable in a day provided you have total confidence in the boat but what a tedious passage that would be.  If the Avon is idyllic the Severn is just dull and the idea of thrashing against the flow all day certainly wouldn't appeal to me.    

...... 2 days is a bit ambitious .... but possible at 12 hours per day.

Personally it would take me a week or more.

But if a 14 or 15 hour day  is necessary to meet a strict timetable, would there be restrictions on using manned locks on the Severn and Avon?

...or can you travel all night if need be.

2 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

...... 2 days is a bit ambitious .... but possible at 12 hours per day.

Personally it would take me a week or more.

But if a 14 or 15 hour day  is necessary to meet a strict timetable, would there be restrictions on using manned locks on the Severn and Avon?

...or can you travel all night if need be.

Yes the locks will be an issue.  The Severn is I think 8am to 6pm, and having just checked ANT, Tewkesbury is on restricted hours at the moment s the hydraulics are broken, 10-1 and 2-4.  I think it is not wise to plan on anything less than 4 days if the actual trip is from Wilmcote to Stourport, rather than Stratford to Hawford.

4 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

If Stratford to Hawford has become Wilmcote to Stourport in the same time then forget it. It was a gamble as it was. You are now touching the bounds of what’s possible in three long days and being river navigations you have to factor in that you might get nowhere.

Starting at Wilmcote I don’t think it’s realistic to plan on being past Tewkesbury after two days. A couple of years ago I cruised single handed from Chealybeate bridge (bottom of Wilmcote flight) to Evesham in one day and on to Tewkesbury the next. I arrived at about the time the Avon lock was closing. It has shorter hours than the Severn locks.

As for the Severn upstream that depends on the boat and the conditions but your problem is that the last lock is only a mile short of Stourport. Some info on the boat would be helpful. I would struggle to do Tewkesbury to Stourport in a day because my engine doesn’t have the cooling capability to cruise quickly enough upstream.

Is this a hire boat? The Avon Ring is a challenging one week hire even from bases on it’s route so to contemplate it from Stourport is unrealistic and I would suggest unfair to the hire base and the next prospective hirer who will suffer the consequences should you fail.

JP

It is my own boat, a GRP cruiser (Norman) with inboard diesel. To give a bit more detail, I've made a rough plan with some help from canal plan, if this seems realistic:

Day 1: Barbridge-Cheswardine

Day 2: Cheswardine-Swindon

Day 3: Swindon-Birmingham centre

Day 4: Birmingham centre-Hockley Heath

Day 5: Hockley Heath-Wilmcote

Day 6: Wilmcote-Evesham

Day 7: Evesham-anywhere between Upton Bridge and Worcester on the Severn

Day 8: Wolverley

Day 9: Brewood

Day 10: Audlem (top)

Day 11: Barbridge

I've done the Shroppie and Staffs and Worcester a lot so it's just the Warwickshire and river sections that I'm unfarmiliar with.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

It is my own boat, a GRP cruiser (Norman) with inboard diesel. To give a bit more detail, I've made a rough plan with some help from canal plan, if this seems realistic:

I've done the Shroppie and Staffs and Worcester a lot so it's just the Warwickshire and river sections that I'm unfarmiliar with.

I don't know what others think but I'm impressed...

Swindon to Gas Street in a day anyone..?

14 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I don't know what others think but I'm impressed...

Swindon to Gas Street in a day anyone..?

I've done Swindon to Merry Hill waterfront three times before and arrived at Merry Hill between 3-4pm, so if carrying on into the city centre it shouldn't be much beyond 8pm by the time I get there.

Edited by Philip

The moorings between Upton and Worcester may be an issue as I can't think of any. You can't just tie up on the river wherever you fancy.

Merry Hill to Gas Street is a good run, can't remember how long it took the last couple of times I've gone that way.

Any reason not to go via Wolverhampton?

26 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

The moorings between Upton and Worcester may be an issue as I can't think of any. You can't just tie up on the river wherever you fancy.

Merry Hill to Gas Street is a good run, can't remember how long it took the last couple of times I've gone that way.

Any reason not to go via Wolverhampton?

I was thinking possibly Upton if stopping at Evesham the previous evening, that should then make for a straightforward run to Stourport the next day and hopefully with enough time left to get to Wolverley by the evening.

I just prefer the Stourbridge route over Wolverhampton - prettier, more interesting and a big tunnel to make it a little more exciting. I think Merry Hill to Gas Street via the new road is something like 12 miles, so would guess about 4 hours.

Edited by Philip

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

We can go debate the merits and timings as much as we like, but I'd offer anyone trying to do this by is rather missing the point of cruising either route. Just sayin'... ;)

If you’re an employed land dwelling boat owner who wants to see the system there isn’t a whole lot of choice. It’s either this or move the boat sequentially which can result in additional mooring and transport costs and possibly less secure mooring for your boat. At the end of the day it’s not like you are passing any particular place faster than you would if you took more days.

JP

5 hours ago, Philip said:

OK, so GRP will be quicker than a narrow boat I suspect. Certainly quicker than my NB in any case. If you are confident you can do the Shroppie and Staffs & Worcs sections in those times then I’d think the rest is feasible. Day 4 has no locks and if you leave Birmingham no later than 0900 you’ll be at Hockley Heath by 1600 and probably earlier in your boat. Wilmcote to Evesham seems like a long day given the amount of locks just to get to Stratford. As stated if Tewkesbury lock is restricted your plan will probably have to change. Upton to Wolverley should be fine in one day.

JP

Edited due to quoting wrong post initially.

Edited by Captain Pegg

4 hours ago, Philip said:

I was thinking possibly Upton if stopping at Evesham the previous evening, that should then make for a straightforward run to Stourport the next day and hopefully with enough time left to get to Wolverley by the evening.

I just prefer the Stourbridge route over Wolverhampton - prettier, more interesting and a big tunnel to make it a little more exciting. I think Merry Hill to Gas Street via the new road is something like 12 miles, so would guess about 4 hours.

Actually I think you'll do it a lot quicker than that especially in your little boat, once you get past windmill end it's a really fast run. 

It is interesting how much quicker a small grp cruiser seems to be, though I suspect you are a bit younger and fitter than me and my crew...

12 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Actually I think you'll do it a lot quicker than that especially in your little boat, once you get past windmill end it's a really fast run. 

It is interesting how much quicker a small grp cruiser seems to be, though I suspect you are a bit younger and fitter than me and my crew...

Wouldn't like to say on the latter! Although I'll be single-handed most of the way so maybe not as quick at working the locks.

At normal cruising there isn't a huge difference, except not needing to slow as much past moored boats, due to shallower draft and less water displacement. About 2000 rpm is just a shade under 4mph. Where it does make up a lot of time is pulling away from the locks - sets off like a rocket compared to a typical narrowboat!

Edited by Philip

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Wouldn't like to say on the latter! Although I'll be single-handed most of the way so maybe not as quick at working the locks.

At normal cruising there isn't a huge difference, except not needing to slow as much past moored boats, due to shallower draft and less water displacement. About 2000 rpm is just a shade under 4mph. Where it does make up a lot of time is pulling away from the locks - sets off like a rocket compared to a typical narrowboat!

We have a Sea Otter (aluminium) these days which isn't as light as your grp cruiser but I've noticed a big difference in journey times compared to the steel narrowboats we used to have.  Partly it's because the Otter will do 4mph on most canals without creating a wash and as you say there's no need to slow to a crawl past moored boats.  On some canals that alone makes a huge difference.  I also appreciate the reduced effort when hauling on mooring lines..  

PS I still wouldn't like to try and match your schedules..!

Edited by Neil2

22 hours ago, Neil2 said:

We have a Sea Otter (aluminium) these days which isn't as light as your grp cruiser but I've noticed a big difference in journey times compared to the steel narrowboats we used to have.  Partly it's because the Otter will do 4mph on most canals without creating a wash and as you say there's no need to slow to a crawl past moored boats.  On some canals that alone makes a huge difference.  I also appreciate the reduced effort when hauling on mooring lines..  

PS I still wouldn't like to try and match your schedules..!

On occasions when we've hired a steel narrowboat rather than use my cruiser, it's been very noticeable how sluggish the boat is when setting off from moorings and locks, compared to my cruiser and as you say your Sea Otter. Also even with a short 40-foot steel boat, it's so much heavier. Although the last time I travelled upstream on the Severn in my boat, I just couldn't keep up with the narrowboat I'd been sharing the Droitwich locks with!

Are the Avon locks reasonably single-hander friendly?

Edited by Philip

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

On occasions when we've hired a steel narrowboat rather than use my cruiser, it's been very noticeable how sluggish the boat is when setting off from moorings and locks, compared to my cruiser and as you say your Sea Otter. Also even with a short 40-foot steel boat, it's so much heavier. Although the last time I travelled upstream on the Severn in my boat, I just couldn't keep up with the narrowboat I'd been sharing the Droitwich locks with!

The Avon locks are quite fierce but you won't have this issue going downstream. There are good lock landings and you leave the gates open so generally not too bad for the single hander.

5 hours ago, Philip said:

Yes, people are often surprised how capable narrowboats are on rivers, it's partly because a lot of narrowboats are "over engined" and partly because of their length.  Something like a deep draughted 60 footer with a big slow revving diesel is actually in its element on a big river.

Avon locks are Jekyll and Hyde - easy gong down, a nightmare coming up.  I've met several boaters who will not travel upstream on the Avon for this reason.  The current in the filling lock really does get hold of the boat and you need two people to hold it fore and aft, certainly no good trying to hold it on a centre line.   My only experience is with steel narrowboats though, I haven't tried it in the Otter, and I've never seen a grp cruiser navigate these locks, it might be different with a lighter boat.