Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Featured Posts

Luckily had good sales in Braunston and got about 5 ton off before going down the Oxford. Some of the Barby turns were tricky but didn’t get stuck anywhere that trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dav and Pen said:

 

 

 

Luckily had good sales in Braunston and got about 5 ton off before going down the Oxford. Some of the Barby turns were tricky but didn’t get stuck anywhere that trip.

Yep, 21 ton would be about right for her, a bit more off at the Doles.  and some of the old boy's Parsnip wine..

Edited by Chris Williams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speculation on the condition of Tadworth, yes Alan you're right I did shout across to you 'not that bad' all things considered its better than had been expected and Andrew the small hole you made is in a fairly localised area but I think you'll be able to judge the boats condition more accurately when you come and see it out of the water. Of course it will need a lot of work doing to it, it has now been surveyed 'properly' by a qualified surveyor with experience in this type of craft and the restoration options will be discussed with the owners. I'm very pleased to be involved in this and will be keen to preserve the original fabric of the vessel wherever possible and as Andrew said it does retain a lot of original features. Dave if you're thinking of popping in you're very welcome but  just give me or Andrew a shout first as we are not generally open to the public . Actually Matt I don't think it was leaking when it came past you, the small hole was made during the clearing up and the fibreglass patches that have been mentioned on the uxter plate are really good, quite impressed with them, could be the way forward ?    

  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tim Carter said:

Speculation on the condition of Tadworth, yes Alan you're right I did shout across to you 'not that bad' all things considered its better than had been expected and Andrew the small hole you made is in a fairly localised area but I think you'll be able to judge the boats condition more accurately when you come and see it out of the water. Of course it will need a lot of work doing to it, it has now been surveyed 'properly' by a qualified surveyor with experience in this type of craft and the restoration options will be discussed with the owners. I'm very pleased to be involved in this and will be keen to preserve the original fabric of the vessel wherever possible and as Andrew said it does retain a lot of original features. Dave if you're thinking of popping in you're very welcome but  just give me or Andrew a shout first as we are not generally open to the public . Actually Matt I don't think it was leaking when it came past you, the small hole was made during the clearing up and the fibreglass patches that have been mentioned on the uxter plate are really good, quite impressed with them, could be the way forward ?    

She's in safe hands for the future restoration then. I look forward to seeing the progress. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/05/2019 at 18:52, archie57 said:

The late Phil Garrett had it for a while in the 1950s, paired with the "Betelgeuse", and in this period appears in many of Will King's  ( - his Uncle)  excellent photos.

I'd be interested in seeing these!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Jay4424 said:

I'd be interested in seeing these!

Here is one for starters, although the motor in this image is clearly not TADWORTH:

 

(photograph from T.W. King Collection)

Will_King16.jpg.03b3c09fc720011cf40a8077942c52f5.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/05/2019 at 18:52, archie57 said:

 

Thank you Pete. Not seen that one before either ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://collections.canalrivertrust.org.uk/bw197.2.8.1

Thaxted and Betelgeuse - Phil Garrett's boats, he  had this after the Tadworth

 The photos in the Will King collection often appear in books and magazines

12 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

Here is one for starters, although the motor in this image is clearly not TADWORTH:

 

(photograph from T.W. King Collection)

Will_King16.jpg.03b3c09fc720011cf40a8077942c52f5.jpg

 

 

Thaxted, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, archie57 said:

http://collections.canalrivertrust.org.uk/bw197.2.8.1

Thaxted and Betelgeuse - Phil Garrett's boats, he  had this after the Tadworth

 The photos in the Will King collection often appear in books and magazines

If the date of June 1958 is correct for the photograph http://collections.canalrivertrust.org.uk/bw197.2.8.1 mentioned above then this pairing would be THAXTED and ANDROMEDA under C. Green (Charlie Green ?), or at least it was for the fleet list dated 20 May 1958 - with TADWORTH paired with DENTON under P. Garrett.

 

My records suggest that Phil Garrett turned in TADWORTH for THAXTED some time between 26 January 1959 (TADWORTH & BETELGEUSE on fleet list under P. Garrett) and 28 May 1959 (Braunston traffic record - TADWORTH under Lane - with THAXTED under Garrett on 20 June 1959) :captain:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

If the date of June 1958 is correct for the photograph http://collections.canalrivertrust.org.uk/bw197.2.8.1 mentioned above then this pairing would be THAXTED and ANDROMEDA under C. Green (Charlie Green ?), or at least it was for the fleet list dated 20 May 1958 - with TADWORTH paired with DENTON under P. Garrett.

 

My records suggest that Phil Garrett turned in TADWORTH for THAXTED some time between 26 January 1959 (TADWORTH & BETELGEUSE on fleet list under P. Garrett) and 28 May 1959 (Braunston traffic record - TADWORTH under Lane - with THAXTED under Garrett on 20 June 1959) :captain:

I stand corrected!  - he did have the Thaxted off Charlie Green, after an incident at Three bridges with the Tadworth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, archie57 said:

I stand corrected!  - he did have the Thaxted off Charlie Green, after an incident at Three bridges with the Tadworth

I do not know anything about an incident, but it does appear that Phil Garrett had THAXTED straight after Charlie Green :captain:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, archie57 said:

It was about this time when Mr Green went to Paddington to work on the Zoo buses

Which would account for why the name Green disappears from the Braunston traffic records, although the name Green does reappear on 08 September 1960 with BEAULIEU :captain:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.