Tadworth

AndrewGVT

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is it taken with the Ivybridge workshops just behind you, so none of the UCC buildings are in shot? (Or is it your Brother Mike's photo?) 

I think so.

Is that not the Ladder Bridge in the background?... putting the photographer on a boat on the offside next to or in front of the workshop looking down towards the Marina.

9 minutes ago, carlt said:

I think so.

Is that not the Ladder Bridge in the background?... putting the photographer on a boat on the offside next to or in front of the workshop looking down towards the Marina.

Ah yes I think yer right. And the land behind Bakewell/Tadpole is where the second basin is yet to be dug out. 

Tadworth still on lime juice, and with Bakewell coming up Hanwell.  UCC brought Bakewell on the same tender list and we towed her back for them to Braunston when the photo must have been taken. It was the weekend of the big gale when the Fastnet race was abandoned. BWB had finished the lime juice run and where warehousing the stuff at Brentford. Ashby Canal Transport persuaded Roses that they could continue to bring the barrels to Boxmoor and Roses agreed. Tam and Di carried it for some time and then 3 fellows.

6DD2011F-6B02-4E81-922C-19F96178A390.jpeg

B30C2878-D5D9-484D-B390-6B1E12EEABEC.jpeg

Sorry wrong information about the fastnet race that was 1979 we were however fighting a gale all the way from Leighton to Buckby with the butty crabbing along. Good job there weren’t so many moored boat then. Sorry that Tadworth has got into such a poor state and very pleased that Julia is involved with Andrew. There was an hole in the chine angle when we brought her and a block of wood covered the hole wedged down by a broom handle under the gunwale. Over the years we earned enough money selling coal and camping boating to have a complete new bottom, steel cants, and steel gunwales to the cabin sides replacing the timber which has rotted and caused corrosion to the bottom of the cabin. There was no table cupboard as the Dells had lived on the Butty and used the table cupboard as a wardrobe. I found a table cupboard at Thrupp on a bonfire which luckily hadn’t been started.No decoration in the cabin but a big poster of Roy Rogers on Trigger. Fred must have been a cowboy fan. As indeed where Arthur Bray and Ernie who used to make a point of going to Aylsbury pictures from Maffus

very different times.

2 hours ago, carlt said:

I think so.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah yes I think yer right. And the land behind Bakewell/Tadpole is where the second basin is yet to be dug out. 

Correct.

The ladder bridge can be seen.

The UCCCo buildings are further towards the locks than anything in this picture.

I can't recall why we must have had our old BCN boat "Kerbau" moored outside the offside buildings, but it is clearly out plank and deck board I can see in the foreground, so I must have been on the roof.

By the time we came back the other way we had trashed a Parsons gearbox, which then had to be rebuilt at some expense by UCCCo

5 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

What year did BW dispose of Tadworth and Bakewell, please Pete?

1974, but I am saving the actual date for when I produce a history for the new owner.

I can also confirm that TADWORTH and BAKEWELL had different dates of sale, but only by eleven days :captain:

The Towcester was on the same Tender list as Tadworth and was at Bulls bridge with a lot of water in the back cabin, think it had been used as maintenance boat for a bit. Tam and Di were successful bidders. It’s now with Julia.

I think that must have been another boat.  Towcester was ex-Wendover Arm sales and had been in private ownership (N. Hollis) for a few years up the Lea and Stort before being acquired by the Murrells.  Are you thinking of Stamford?

Paul

1 hour ago, pete harrison said:

1974, but I am saving the actual date for when I produce a history for the new owner.

Thanks,

That confirms the year I thought my pictures were taken.
And is a full 4 years later than suggested in original post - how history gets re-written!

I wasn't intending to rewrite any history, as I said in my original post they are only gestestimates based on pictures and post from the internet. I know it was sometime In the early seventies, perhaps circa 1970 was a poor choice of words. If you want to write any history it must be based on actual facts not posts on internet forums.

5 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

Tadworth still on lime juice, and with Bakewell coming up Hanwell.  UCC brought Bakewell on the same tender list and we towed her back for them to Braunston when the photo must have been taken. It was the weekend of the big gale when the Fastnet race was abandoned. BWB had finished the lime juice run and where warehousing the stuff at Brentford. Ashby Canal Transport persuaded Roses that they could continue to bring the barrels to Boxmoor and Roses agreed. Tam and Di carried it for some time and then 3 fellows.

6DD2011F-6B02-4E81-922C-19F96178A390.jpeg

B30C2878-D5D9-484D-B390-6B1E12EEABEC.jpeg

Brilliant, thanks for the pictures. Is the second one a reversed image? The side with the slide removed appears to be on the other side to how it is now? Also the remains of the air cooling vent have now been well hidden, did she have a air cooled petter under waterways?

Jules has mentioned you in relation to tadworth lots. It would be great to meet you one day, you'll have to come out and have a look once all the work is done and shes back in the water!

When be got her she had a PD2 which was eventually changed for another one that broke its crank shaft whilst ticking over in Atherstone top lock. The present engine came from a Trinity house generating set with only 400 hours and I fitted the gearbox and cooling system which was then keel cooled.

somehow the image was reversed when downloaded.

i live near Dodford and often go down the new road where I can see Tim’s yard. When I get back from our cruise on the clipper ship I will certainly come down to have a look.

1 hour ago, Dav and Pen said:

i live near Dodford and often go down the new road where I can see Tim’s yard. When I get back from our cruise on the clipper ship I will certainly come down to have a look.

I always enjoy going past Tims fields and seeing what gems he has in and out of the water at any one time.

Tadworth going past the other day was the only boat I have seen sitting higher at the front end than William his day boat......must have been a bit scary for folks coming the other way - however was being steered at a very considerate speed.

7 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Saw her from new road only last week ( first time on new road and its only a mile from our house!!) as i looked down i wondered what had turned up) 

Blummin eckers, thats 2 of you live just round the corner!!

That new road is a joke, 30mph still because Northants Council cant afford to finish it all off properly - Milton Keynes stumped up the money to get it open.

37 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I always enjoy going past Tims fields and seeing what gems he has in and out of the water at any one time.

Tadworth going past the other day was the only boat I have seen sitting higher at the front end than William his day boat......must have been a bit scary for folks coming the other way - however was being steered at a very considerate speed.

Funnily enough I photographed much of what is in or besides Tim's field when we eventually started our big trip out on Tuesday, after dealing with a broken fridge.

See the end of this blog post.

4 hours ago, AndrewGVT said:

I wasn't intending to rewrite any history, as I said in my original post they are only gestestimates based on pictures and post from the internet. I know it was sometime In the early seventies, perhaps circa 1970 was a poor choice of words. If you want to write any history it must be based on actual facts not posts on internet forums.

Sorry Andrew - I wasn't intending to have a go at you, and I apologise if it came over that way.  I got the impression you had been fed some wrong information, and I was trying to correct that.  I'm sure Pete will sort out things for you in considerable detail.

1 hour ago, Pluto said:

This is an early 1970s photo by Roger Lorenz:

1970c 016 Tadworth Bakewell.jpg

Despite all 3 pairs by then only carrying the basic single colour livery, they were all always kept smart.

3 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I'm sure Pete will sort out things for you in considerable detail.

Done, although a second Petter PD2 has come to light as described in Post 39 - but having said that 'British Waterways' might well of changed the first recorded Petter PD2 anyway :captain:

18 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

Biggest load we ever had around 26 ton

How did it go, get stuck anywhere?   I was on Jaguar once, being followed by the BWB top brass, did we get stuck?  No, of course not.  They did.