Generators

bigray

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, bigray said:

Thanks for the input. I went for the cheaper Screwfix option in the end. One of the main reasons being the refurbished EU20 was no longer available! I'll report back when I have used it a few times.

Lets hope Screwfix haven't stitched you up like a Kippor! ;)

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Sharks - far rather use Tool Station (their 'whilst you wait'  free drinks machine offers a very nice cocoa)

I've never had to wait long enough in Screwfix for them to need a free drinks machine...

• Greenie 1

On 13/05/2019 at 17:50, catweasel said:

?
There are generators and generators
We would have no power in winter without our genny, unless we run the big, smelly and noisy diesel of course.  Our Hyundai genny is well quieter and stinks less than the diesel. Should be even better when I get around to the LPG conversion.

Ignor him, it looks like he's hunting for negativity like a clickbaiting keyboard warrior.

42 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Found mine on eBay.

But are they still available? Can't find any being produced. 

Looked at these about 14 years ago but at £11,000 decided to give them a miss. 

9 minutes ago, reg said:

But are they still available? Can't find any being produced.

Yes, but no longer by "Whisper Power" who shut up shop after the New Zealand Earthquake.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-119884.html

Try here :

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/120kw-stirling-engine-generator-for-sale_983584049.html

This model is a bit bigger than you may need on a boat, but smaller (8Kw) are available.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes, but no longer by "Whisper Power" who shut up shop after the New Zealand Earthquake.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/120kw-stirling-engine-generator-for-sale_983584049.html

This model is a bit bigger than you may need on a boat, but smaller (8Kw) are available.

Found a 15kva here

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/15kva-generating-engine-stirling-of-energy_1045702077.html?spm=a2700.details.maylikehoz.1.431a6763TxT1wp

Nice to see that someone is still producing this type of engine but there is no practical way I could install on of these at 1024 kg that's a big lump of iron, think I'll bow out at this point. 

1 hour ago, BargeeSpud said:

Ignor him, it looks like he's hunting for negativity like a clickbaiting keyboard warrior.

I did wonder, but was not prepared to leave the sweeping statement unchallenged. 

54 minutes ago, reg said:

Found a 15kva here

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/15kva-generating-engine-stirling-of-energy_1045702077.html?spm=a2700.details.maylikehoz.1.431a6763TxT1wp

Nice to see that someone is still producing this type of engine but there is no practical way I could install on of these at 1024 kg that's a big lump of iron, think I'll bow out at this point. 

It's not a Stirling engine, it uses a conventional Cummins diesel -- as does the 120kVa one, I've no idea why they have "stirling" in the titles...

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, IanD said:

It's not a Stirling engine, it uses a conventional Cummins diesel -- as does the 120kVa one, I've no idea why they have "stirling" in the titles...

Thought the didn't look right I was just following  a previous link. Seem to remember the whispergen was a much smaller and neater unit. Looks like they are now only available used and are as rare as hens teeth, dread to think what the spare part situation is. 

Edited by reg

I do wonder how reliable these small Stirling engines are. My last employer decided to change from fitting put data centres to providing novel green energy solutions.

They entered a 15 year contract with a major supermarket to fit Stirling engines to provide electricity, hot water and refrigeration (using absorption and adsorption chillers driven from the hot water) at all their stores.

The deal was that the company I worked for provided, installed and maintained the Stirling engines and associated equipment and charged the supermarket for the electrical and heat outputs at rates significantly lower than there previous energy supplier. In the event of any downtime, the supermarket reverted to thir previous energy supplier with the  company that I worked for paying the difference between that bill and cost of using the Stirling engines to provide their energy.

The Stirling engines were provided by a Danish company, Stirling Denmark (SDK), which provided 35 kW of electrical energy and 140kW of heat.

They were massively unreliable and after installing them at just 2 stores, SDK went bust, leaving the company that I worked for with the option of paying the supermarkets energy bills for the next 15 years or going into liquidation. They went into liquidation.

The attached file gives an overview of how they were supposed to work

A great idea but unworkable until such time as the reliability issues are solved.

SDK Bracknell case-study.pdf

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

I do wonder how reliable these small Stirling engines are. My last employer decided to change from fitting put data centres to providing novel green energy solutions.

They entered a 15 year contract with a major supermarket to fit Stirling engines to provide electricity, hot water and refrigeration (using absorption and adsorption chillers driven from the hot water) at all their stores.

The deal was that the company I worked for provided, installed and maintained the Stirling engines and associated equipment and charged the supermarket for the electrical and heat outputs at rates significantly lower than there previous energy supplier. In the event of any downtime, the supermarket reverted to thir previous energy supplier with the  company that I worked for paying the difference between that bill and cost of using the Stirling engines to provide their energy.

The Stirling engines were provided by a Danish company, Stirling Denmark (SDK), which provided 35 kW of electrical energy and 140kW of heat.

They were massively unreliable and after installing them at just 2 stores, SDK went bust, leaving the company that I worked for with the option of paying the supermarkets energy bills for the next 15 years or going into liquidation. They went into liquidation.

The attached file gives an overview of how they were supposed to work

A great idea but unworkable until such time as the reliability issues are solved.

SDK Bracknell case-study.pdf 376.18 kB · 1 download

Rhymes perfectly with the occasional rooftop solar panel installation I encounter in customers' houses. The old type evacuated tube solar panels with fluid pumped through them to heat the hot water. I always ask who services it and the answer is invariably 'no-one, the company went bust soon after it was fitted so we just keep our fingers crossed it carries on working'. 

On 13/05/2019 at 20:29, Alan de Enfield said:

Sharks - far rather use Tool Station (their 'whilst you wait'  free drinks machine offers a very nice cocoa)

Yes I've had their cocoa. Not bad at all!

On 14/05/2019 at 08:47, Mike the Boilerman said:

I've never had to wait long enough in Screwfix for them to need a free drinks machine...

Really? I have, plenty of times.

On 15/05/2019 at 01:04, Mike the Boilerman said:

My Whispergen is so quiet I can run it at 1.00am with the surrounding boats not noticing.

It's that a 1500rpm model? If I was investing in a proper marine diesel generator it would have to be 1500rpm. 

I once apologised to a neighbour for running my Honda slightly after hours. She just stood there looking at me like I was insane. "What noise? I can't hear anything?" Turns out she was deaf! ?

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Really? I have, plenty of times

Do you pre-order?

If I pre-order I walk into the store, tell a member of staff that I’m there to collect, and they go and get it immediately. I’m rarely in the store for more than a couple of minutes.