Generators

bigray

Featured Posts

I'm looking at buying one of the smallish quiet suitcase generators more to use with a Caravan than a boat. I'm looking at ones with a peak output of 2000w and rated for about 1500w such as the Honda EU20i. A new Honda EU20i is out of the question due to the cost but I do have the opportunity to buy a reconditioned one from a local company that has a warranty.

This is still considerably more expensive than the new equivalent from somewhere like Screwfix or Machine Mart. The question is are they worth the difference. I appreciate you tend to get what you pay for but is the Honda 2-3 times better. The other option I;ve seen is a Kipor which seem to sit between the two does anyone have experience of them.

It will probably get used for 2/3 hours per day on about 15 weekends of the year and is for topping up the batteries possibly some power tool use and a small microwave.

Does anyone have any thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks

1 minute ago, bigray said:

I'm looking at buying one of the smallish quiet suitcase generators more to use with a Caravan than a boat. I'm looking at ones with a peak output of 2000w and rated for about 1500w such as the Honda EU20i. A new Honda EU20i is out of the question due to the cost but I do have the opportunity to buy a reconditioned one from a local company that has a warranty.

This is still considerably more expensive than the new equivalent from somewhere like Screwfix or Machine Mart. The question is are they worth the difference. I appreciate you tend to get what you pay for but is the Honda 2-3 times better. The other option I;ve seen is a Kipor which seem to sit between the two does anyone have experience of them.

It will probably get used for 2/3 hours per day on about 15 weekends of the year and is for topping up the batteries possibly some power tool use and a small microwave.

Does anyone have any thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks

The main advantage of the Honda seems to be it is quieter than all it's cheaper competitors.

I have a cheapo one from screwfix and it still works fine after several years of lying about hardly being used...

Although smaller than what you are looking for I have a 

STEPHILL SHX1000 900W

which uses exactly the same engine as the Honda eu

Fine machine and considerably cheaper than the Honda. 

They do do a 2000 model if you can get your hands on one but I have no experience of that model. 

https://www.aonetools.co.uk/product/site-generators-accessories/stephill-shx2000-20kva16kw-honda-gxh100-suitcase-generator

Edited by reg

There is a used Stephill 2000 on ebay atm, collection only from Shipley, 2 days left currently £295 with no bids and will accept offers. 

Note I have no association with that sale, almost tempted myself but too far away. 

Edited by reg
ETA To to too or is that to too too

I had the eu20i for a number of years. I bought it second hand from Pete Power generators of Barton Mills, Suffolk. It is a brilliant genny and always started first pull. He did an LPG gas conversion on it for me which saves having to store petrol on board.

Very quiet and reliable. Certainly worth paying the extra IMHO.

The gas connection was 'T'd off the main gas supply in the gas locker using a bbq fitting as fitted to caravans.

He has a very useful website which provides a lot of info.  I have no connection other than as a satisfied customer.

https://petepowerblog.wordpress.com/

Ken

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I have a cheapo one from screwfix and it still works fine after several years of lying about hardly being used...

Ditto. The new Machine Mart ones seem pretty good too, for the money. 

2 hours ago, bigray said:

It will probably get used for 2/3 hours per day on about 15 weekends of the year

That’s not much use, so if it were me I’d take a punt on a cheap one. In fact, I did ;)

The Honda is streets ahead in reliability. They are very expensive but the best often is. A friend of mine once threw one in the cut whilst it was still running. It was retreaved and after being dried off started without fault as if it had never happened.

18 hours ago, NB Ellisiana said:

I had the eu20i for a number of years. I bought it second hand from Pete Power generators of Barton Mills, Suffolk. It is a brilliant genny and always started first pull. He did an LPG gas conversion on it for me which saves having to store petrol on board.

Very quiet and reliable. Certainly worth paying the extra IMHO.

The gas connection was 'T'd off the main gas supply in the gas locker using a bbq fitting as fitted to caravans.

He has a very useful website which provides a lot of info.  I have no connection other than as a satisfied customer.

https://petepowerblog.wordpress.com/

Ken

Thanks for that link looks a very useful contact and some interesting reading. 

Edited by reg

Before you buy a cheapo generator give some serious consideration about noise levels. Apart from reliability and a smooth waveform, low noise levels is one of the main advantages of Hondas.

Personally I just couldn't live with the noise of some of these cheap Machine Mart type generators and I'm far too considerate to impose it on my neighbours. I just don't think enough people factor in noise when choosing a generator. If you can't afford a Honda then go for a kippor.

17 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Before you buy a cheapo generator give some serious consideration about noise levels. Apart from reliability and a smooth waveform, low noise levels is one of the main advantages of Hondas.

Personally I just couldn't live with the noise of some of these cheap Machine Mart type generators and I'm far too considerate to impose it on my neighbours. I just don't think enough people factor in noise when choosing a generator. If you can't afford a Honda then go for a kippor.

I passed this monstrosity ont boat today!! There are boats moored both sides and across from it.

IMG_20190507_093326.jpg

Edited by mrsmelly

20 minutes ago, blackrose said:

If you can't afford a Honda then go for a kippor.

I have the Kipor2000 and there is a 'bit of a difference' in noise levels.

All at 7mts / 23 feet

Honda is 53db @1/4 load and 59db @ full load

Kipor is 57 and 61.

The quietest are now reported as :

The Yamaha 2000 at 51.5db @ 1/4 load, and even better the "Wen" at 51db @ 1/4 load.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I passed this monstrosity ont boat today!! There are boats moored both sides and across from it.

IMG_20190507_093326.jpg

You think thats bad! theres a guy i passed moored on the Shroppie with a similar size one sat on the cruiser stern of his old springer! 

Rick

• Horror 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have the Kipor2000 and there is a 'bit of a difference' in noise levels.

All at 7mts / 23 feet

Honda is 53db @1/4 load and 59db @ full load

Kipor is 57 and 61.

The quietest are now reported as :

The Yamaha 2000 at 51.5db @ 1/4 load, and even better the "Wen" at 51db @ 1/4 load.

For those of confused by how db levels relate to perceived noise, a 3 db increase doubles the sound intensity but for a human ear to perceive the noise to be twice as loud requires a 10db increase.

16 minutes ago, cuthound said:

For those of confused by how db levels relate to perceived noise, a 3 db increase doubles the sound intensity but for a human ear to perceive the noise to be twice as loud requires a 10db increase.

Yes dB is a logarithmic scale. The other thing to bear in mind is the distance the measurement is taken from. I think Honda state 7m at 1/4 load, but some other manufacturers don't quote a distance figure so it's impossible to compare.

Edited by blackrose

5 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes dB is a logarithmic scale. The other thing to bear in mind is the distance the measurement is taken from. I think Honda state 7m at 1/4 load, but some other manufacturers don't quote a distance figure so it's impossible to compare.

Indeed, when I used to write specifications for big generators (typically 500-3000kVA), I used to specify breakout noise at air inlet and air exhaust vents at 70dbA at 1 metre and 35dbA at 1 metre from the site perimeter.

Thanks for the input. I went for the cheaper Screwfix option in the end. One of the main reasons being the refurbished EU20 was no longer available! I'll report back when I have used it a few times.

30 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Generators are evil and should be banned!

?
There are generators and generators
We would have no power in winter without our genny, unless we run the big, smelly and noisy diesel of course.  Our Hyundai genny is well quieter and stinks less than the diesel. Should be even better when I get around to the LPG conversion.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Generators are evil and should be banned!

2 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

'orrible, noisy, smelly things.

They should be towed out to sea and sunk by gunfire.

Not like you to dance around a question, just say what you mean

• Haha 2