Viewing-what to look for?

ihatework

Featured Posts

Hi All

we’re about to view a private boat for the first time. We’ve only looked at brokers before. 

Any hints and tips please on what to look for and what to do? It’s a 10 year old boat that is currently lived aboard which is what we’re intending on doing. 

Thanks

How long have you got?

"Do I like it?", "Does it float?" and "Does it go?" should probably be your first three questions.  But there are many, many more, as you are probably about to find out!

13 minutes ago, ihatework said:

Thanks, yes it floats, goes and from the online details it’s perfect. I just wondered if there were any specific things to ask or see paperwork wise. 

Not being snotty at all but if you have to ask that sort of question you have not researched enough. So a search on this forum about boat buying will enlighten you hugely as regards to establishing who owns the boat, is it paid for, is it legal, is the BSS up to date, is it RCD compliant etc.etc. ?

Its like buying a house, expensive and possibly not all it seems but you have no protection of solicitors, land registry etc. so beware. Second biggest purchase of your life?

That’s what I thought, all of those are available to check so will do. I’ve tried searching on here but never seems to show what I’m looking for. 

No mooring, it’s on apolloduck and appears genuine as it’s not cheap!

No mooring, it’s on apolloduck and appears genuine as it’s not cheap!

You do not have enough posts to be sent a PM (Private Message) so I had to copy & paste an article into the forum. It seems the images have been repeated. If you or anyone else  wants the original in .doc format email me. Tont@TB-training.co.uk

27 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Good article overall but some bits are just silly. Measure the hull thickness with a micrometer? Really? I thought that bit was a joke.

How else would you know the thickness of the roof if it has a beaded edge?

Its always reassuring to see a few pictures of the seller on the boat, 'Heres one of us on holiday at so and so' It might still have outstanding Mortgage / loan on it but at least you know there is some history of the boat and seller. Look in all the unventilated dark corners for damp and mushrooms then its all about a survey and if the floorboards can be lifted here and there that is, to my mind, important, its the other side of the bottom plate you are looking at and if a pit on one side meets a bit of heavy scale on the other then you have a Bad Thing. 10 years is not old but for peace of mind, just try and get it looked at.

I would ask to see the seller's driving licence, to check if the photo matches and to obtain his address.

Next I would ask to see the bill of sale provided when the seller bought the boat.

Then I would ask to see correspondence from CRT or if not on Cat's water, the navigation authority responsible, for correspondence regarding licensing the boat.

Finally I would ask for receipts for servicing and other maintenance.

If all of the above show the seller's name and sometimes address, then it is reasonable to believe he is entitled to sell the boat and has taken reasonable care to look after it.

21 minutes ago, ihatework said:

They had it built so all receipts should be available so that’s good advice cuthound. The only thing I don’t understand is how to check there’s no outstanding mortgage on it

I don't think you can. Marine mortgages secured on the boat haven't been readily available for a while.

These days most use unsecured loans, or loans secured on their property. Either will cause the seller a problem, not you.

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Unless the boat is registered on the SSR (Small Ships Register) Part 1 you cannot find out.

Surely this is back to front. If not registered with SSR, you can be certain the boat is not the subject of a marine mortgage.

I don't think you would get marine mortgage information on the Small Ship Register - that doesn't even serve to prove ownership. Full Part 1 Registry would show a mortgage, but I can't imagine many canal boats being Pt 1 Registered.

Edited by Tam & Di
fat finger put ! for 1

29 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

I don't think you would get marine mortgage information on the Small Ship Register - that doesn't even serve to prove ownership. Full Part 1 Registry would show a mortgage,

Part 1 is a 'proof of legal ownership' and lists any mortgages etc on the vessel.

Part 3 is just proof of boat's Nationality.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-boat/the-uk-ship-register

Edited by Alan de Enfield

when the time comes and hopefully soon OP I will ask the likes of Mike the Boilerman     Tony Brooks      Mrsmelly  just to name a few to have a gander at the one we  want to purchase that's if they will? then I will have a survey carried out and then its down to us to decide I've been reading everything I can for the last two years and still I learn everyday from these forums so I want to be as sure as I can when I hand my money over, good luck OP in your quest

Sorry Alan, but the link you give takes you to the UK Ship Register information. Part 3 registry is available for vessels up to 24m only and is known as the Small Ship Register (SSR) and does not prove ownership. A Ship's Mortage details will not be recorded on this, and in practice you will not be able to get a mortgage with your vessel as security if all you have is SSR (this is now a single laminated document about the size of a playing card. Full Part 1 Registry does prove ownership and can be used to gain a mortgage with your ship as security, and in this case the details will be entered ith the Registar and on the document.

Tam

P.S. thanks for removing "as you know" from your post, as what I know is what I said in the first place and what I repeat in fuller detail here.

Edited by Tam & Di
add a PS

9 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

Sorry Alan, but the link you give takes you to the UK Ship Register information. Part 3 registry is available for vessels up to 24m only and is known as the Small Ship Register (SSR) and does not prove ownership. A Ship's Mortage details will not be recorded on this, and in practice you will not be able to get a mortgage with your vessel as security if all you have is SSR (this is now a single laminated document about the size of a playing card. Full Part 1 Registry does prove ownership and can be used to gain a mortgage with your ship as security, and in this case the details will be entered ith the Registar and on the document.

Tam

P.S. thanks for removing "as you know" from your post, as what I know is what I said in the first place and what I repeat in fuller detail here.

If you scroll further down the page it encompasses the Part 1 .

Part III registration

Register your boat on the Part III (Small Ships Register) if you want to prove the boat’s nationality when sailing outside UK waters.

It costs £35 for 5 years.

To be eligible:

• your boat must be less than 24 metres long
  • you must be a private individual (not a company)
  • you must live in the UK for at least 185 days of the year
  • your boat must have a name

For more information, read the full guidance notes.

You can make changes to an existing registration online, for example change of ownership, address or boat details.

You’ll be sent a renewal notice when it’s time to renew.

Part I registration

Register your boat on the Part I register if you want to:

• prove you own the boat
  • prove your boat’s nationality
  • use the boat as security for a marine mortgage
  • register a pleasure vessel
  • get ‘transcripts of registry’, which show the boat’s previous owners and whether there are any outstanding mortgages

Your boat must have a unique name to be registered.

It costs £153 to register for 5 years.