Big thank you to CRT guys at Hurleston

dccruiser

Featured Posts

A volly out in the rain? Well I never. Is this a first? They deserve a pat on the back.

When its freezing cold or pishing with rain a volly would be a welcome sight. Thing is, I've never encountered one. They only come out on warm sunny days when you don't need them, in my experience.

Next week we will be going down into Manchester through what is probably the worse bit of canal in the country. I expect silted locks, locks full of rubbish, locks where the gates won't fully open, shopping trollies, bikes and motorbikes on the bottom, prop foulings, and generally low water levels. A volunteer is (hopefully) going to do the whole day with us. I hope it rains, at least that keeps the local youth away.

..............Dave

35 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A volly out in the rain? Well I never. Is this a first? They deserve a pat on the back.

When its freezing cold or pishing with rain a volly would be a welcome sight. Thing is, I've never encountered one. They only come out on warm sunny days when you don't need them, in my experience.

These were actual CRT guys rather than vlockies doing a great job keeping boats safe going through Hurleston as the bottom lock has bulged and is particularly narrow ... contantly checking both sides for clearance and ready to close the paddles, they actually had one stick yesterday, so full marks for their vigilance in stopping a boat potentially sinking and also top marks to CRT for going through the effort to keep the flight open and the Llangollen accessible through the season rather than closing it for the major work it will need in the winter.

Rick

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The vollies give up their own time volunteering for free. Why the heck should they work out in the pouring rain for hours if they don't wish to. 

Would you? Or do you?

• Greenie 3

49 minutes ago, Grassman said:

The vollies give up their own time volunteering for free. Why the heck should they work out in the pouring rain for hours if they don't wish to. 

Would you? Or do you?

They claim to do volunteering in order to 'help' us boaters but this is clearly bollocks because they only turn out in nice weather when we don't need any help, as I said. If they genuinely wanted to help, we would see them on cold windy days or when it is slashing with rain, when help would genuinely be welcome. 

I pay CRT a sum well into four figures every year because I like boating, and a major part of that enjoyment is from working the 200 year old lock infrastructure. I put it to you that vollies volunteer for exactly the same reason - they like working the locks - i.e. it is nothing to do with 'helping' boaters. except they get to work the locks for free, at the same time interfering with my own enjoyment of doing the exact same thing.

Sometimes I wonder about selling the boats and becoming a CRT lock volly instead, this would be far cheaper. But let's be clear I would not be lying to boaters and claiming I was doing it to 'help' them, I'd be honest and say I was doing it for my own enjoyment. So to answer your question, no I would not turn out to 'help' in filthy weather when you'd most appreciate it. 

41 minutes ago, Grassman said:

Would you? Or do you?

I think there’s a flaw in this logic. The bit that’s voluntary is whether or not you choose to give your time to provide the service in the first place. Once you have made that choice then you have effectively made a commitment to others - be it the trust/society you have volunteered for, the people who are receiving the service concerned or those who fund it since no voluntary scheme is without costs.

The majority of people who volunteer their time have to deliver a prescribed output to a defined timescale. I do up to 10 days a year of canal volunteering work outdoors all of which involves fulfilling some form of commitment to someone - half of it will be for paying customers  - and if it rains I will get wet. So my answers to your questions are “yes” and “yes”.

In the case of the volunteer lock-keeper scheme the approach of “they’re volunteers so they don’t have to do it” means that for all the efforts CRT go to in recruiting, training and equipping the volunteers the level of service they commit as an offer to boaters is nil.

While I acknowledge I regularly receive welcome assistance from volunteer lock assistants until such time as CRT can publish dates, times and locations where assistance will be available the scheme can only ever be regarded as being run for the benefit of the volunteer and not the boater. This may of course be part of CRTs wider wellbeing strategy but it means it is entirely legitimate for any boater to regard the scheme with indifference.

Anyway when it rains hard most boaters tie up so the volunteers can huddle round in their cabin and drink tea.

JP

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Anyway when it rains hard most boaters tie up

Leaving the canal clear for those with waterproofs and a weird way of enjoying themselves

Some of my best canal memories have been in heavy rain

Richard

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I think there’s a flaw in this logic. The bit that’s voluntary is whether or not you choose to give your time to provide the service in the first place. Once you have made that choice then you have effectively made a commitment to others - be it the trust/society you have volunteered for, the people who are receiving the service concerned or those who fund it since no voluntary scheme is without costs.

The majority of people who volunteer their time have to deliver a prescribed output to a defined timescale. I do up to 10 days a year of canal volunteering work outdoors all of which involves fulfilling some form of commitment to someone - half of it will be for paying customers  - and if it rains I will get wet. So my answers to your questions are “yes” and “yes”.

In the case of the volunteer lock-keeper scheme the approach of “they’re volunteers so they don’t have to do it” means that for all the efforts CRT go to in recruiting, training and equipping the volunteers the level of service they commit as an offer to boaters is nil.

While I acknowledge I regularly receive welcome assistance from volunteer lock assistants until such time as CRT can publish dates, times and locations where assistance will be available the scheme can only ever be regarded as being run for the benefit of the volunteer and not the boater. This may of course be part of CRTs wider wellbeing strategy but it means it is entirely legitimate for any boater to regard the scheme with indifference.

Anyway when it rains hard most boaters tie up so the volunteers can huddle round in their cabin and drink tea

Which is exactly what anyone with any sense would do! ... the guys that locked me through yesterday despite having a tea hut and vehicles they could have sheltered in happily worked through the rain and ok they were employed staff , but conversely i have been through Fradley often when its been drizzling and recieved assistance,

but i certainly wouldnt expect it in a downpour.

Rick

Edited by dccruiser

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

Leaving the canal clear for those with waterproofs and a weird way of enjoying themselves

Some of my best canal memories have been in heavy rain

Richard

Curiously mine too. Like finally making it to the Lapworth banter in heavy slashing rain and being sped down the the flight by volunteer banter attendees (not CRT vollies), and single handing up the Delph flight in similar weather just after CRT started the volly scheme and wondering where they all were, and of course the 2014 BCN Challenge when the term heavy rain hardly begins to cover it!

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

They claim to do volunteering in order to 'help' us boaters but this is clearly bollocks because they only turn out in nice weather when we don't need any help, as I said. If they genuinely wanted to help, we would see them on cold windy days or when it is slashing with rain, when help would genuinely be welcome. 

I pay CRT a sum well into four figures every year because I like boating, and a major part of that enjoyment is from working the 200 year old lock infrastructure. I put it to you that vollies volunteer for exactly the same reason - they like working the locks - i.e. it is nothing to do with 'helping' boaters. except they get to work the locks for free, at the same time interfering with my own enjoyment of doing the exact same thing.

Sometimes I wonder about selling the boats and becoming a CRT lock volly instead, this would be far cheaper. But let's be clear I would not be lying to boaters and claiming I was doing it to 'help' them, I'd be honest and say I was doing it for my own enjoyment. So to answer your question, no I would not turn out to 'help' in filthy weather when you'd most appreciate it. 

To be fair, I don't think I've ever had a volunteer tell me they do it because they want to help boaters: they usually say it is to give them something to do, get them out of the house, and enjoy the interaction with people. One made me laugh when he said if he stayed at home the missus would only find him something less interesting to do!

• Greenie 3

5 minutes ago, rgreg said:

To be fair, I don't think I've ever had a volunteer tell me they do it because they want to help boaters: they usually say it is to give them something to do, get them out of the house, and enjoy the interaction with people. One made me laugh when he said if he stayed at home the missus would only find him something less interesting to do!

Exactly the reasons why I would probably be a volockie on the Thames by now if I hadn't bought a boat soon after I retired.

Personally i dont see why there is all the conjecture as to what motivates someone to help .... They help in their own time dont ask for payment or reward just a little courtesy and a thank you, I for one applaud any effort they or any others such as JP do to help, keep and improve this system we all love to enjoy.

Rick

• Greenie 2

It all goes back to funding and funding goes back to politics. The UK system is probably the most heavily used and also the most expensive for the boat owner in the world. Its income must be amongst the highest in the world (happy to be corrected if I'm wrong), Its never going to make a 'profit' no matter what anyone does but it supports a lot of jobs and is a big part of the tourist industry. Volunteering is really just enabling the country to run it on the cheap, like volunteering in libraries or schools and hospitals, If I ware to do that it would be entirely for my own pleasure and if it was a bit chilly or it started to rain I would be off like a shot.

• Greenie 1

I offered to close the gates for another boat the other day so they could get back on but they said they had friends with them that wanted to do the locks so if I didn't mind could they do it themselves. Of course I said and stepped back out of their way. I'm not sure some of the volockies would have done the same.

26 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I tend to agree with your reasoning about why they volunteer, although I'm sure there are many different motivations.  But Mike, surely you can turn down their help and tell them you prefer to manage on your own?  They are then free help someone else who does like their assistance. 

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I tend to agree with your reasoning about why they volunteer, although I'm sure there are many different motivations.  But Mike, surely you can turn down their help and tell them you prefer to manage on your own?  They are then free help someone else who does like their assistance. 

True, sort of, but as a single hander the pleasure of working a lock in peace and quiet by myself is lost by now.

Seeing a lock come into view with the blue shirt wearing the red lifejacket hanging about having perhaps already set the lock, opened the gates what else can I do but cruise into the lock? And now s/he is exhorting me to "stay on the boat" so immediately when I get off another interchange follows "why did you get off the boat, when I was doing the lock for you?"

So by now the presence of a volly and some mild conflict has already disrupted the peaceful pleasure of locking alone and interfered with my own practiced sequence of locking alone. Its not a big deal as it doesn't happen that often, but I do feel the need to push back when posters on here get all sucky-uppy to the wonderful largess of vollies giving up their valuable time to 'help' the pathetic feeble boaters who should be so grateful for the assistance.

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You obviously haven't actually read the thread then...

The thread i actually started? ... i think i might have done! ... essentially to summise your comments Mike and with te greatest respect, firstly you say you dont see vlockies, then you question their intentions and commitment if they choose not to get soaked whilst volunteering in their own time, then you go on to relate what its costing you to use the system whereas they are essentially getting the joy of using the locks for free! ... sorry if i am being dim but none of it corrulates to me ..... do you ever question Daniel and the team of mods that give their time for free to make this site what it is if they arent there to mod a post at 3am because they choose to sleep! ... in all cases whatever the reason someone volunteers is immaterial I an just very greatful people do.

Rick

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

True, sort of, but as a single hander the pleasure of working a lock in peace and quiet by myself is lost by now.

Seeing a lock come into view with the blue shirt wearing the red lifejacket hanging about having perhaps already set the lock, opened the gates what else can I do but cruise into the lock? And now s/he is exhorting me to "stay on the boat" so immediately when I get off another interchange follows "why did you get off the boat, when I was doing the lock for you?"

So by now the presence of a volly and some mild conflict has already disrupted the peaceful pleasure of locking alone and interfered with my own practiced sequence of locking alone. Its not a big deal as it doesn't happen that often, but I do feel the need to push back when posters on here get all sucky-uppy to the wonderful largess of vollies giving up their valuable time to 'help' the pathetic feeble boaters who should be so grateful for the assistance.

Fairy snuff... and nicely explained. :)

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Sorry i cross posted mike, got it now ... you only want one in the rain otherwise to be left alone!

Rick

Just now, dccruiser said:

Sorry i cross posted mike, got it now ... you only want one in the rain otherwise to be left alone!

Rick

Yep, that sums it up perfectly!

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And now s/he is exhorting me to "stay on the boat" so immediately when I get off another interchange follows "why did you get off the boat, when I was doing the lock for you?"

And having just read my own post, there is even a little irony to this bit. When I get a volly being mildly shirty with me for getting off the boat instead of leaving him to lock me through, could this possibly be because I'M the one now interfering with HIS enjoyment of working the lock?

31 minutes ago, dccruiser said:

Personally i dont see why there is all the conjecture as to what motivates someone to help .... They help in their own time dont ask for payment or reward just a little courtesy and a thank you, I for one applaud any effort they or any others such as JP do to help, keep and improve this system we all love to enjoy.

Rick

I doubt anyone volunteers other than primarily for their own benefit. It’s just that any volunteer must also to recognise that to gain that benefit you have to fulfil some form of commitment to others.

Do people really volunteer for an outdoor activity in the UK from April to October with the expectation they can avoid inclement weather?

JP

I usually only come across volunteer lockies at busy spots and I’m grateful for their help. 

I tend to work one side of the lock with them. If they suggest I stay on the boat, I say I’ll come up for a chat. 

At busy spots they keep the boats moving. Better than being stuck behind a painfully slow crew or a curmudgeonly single hander refusing help ?

99% of my boating is done alone. So on the few occasions I am offered any help I’ll take it. And those occasions are few and far between, leaving me lots of space and plenty of other locks to work alone. 

I haven’t come across one of those ‘lone’ volunteers for ages. The odd member of the public who just hangs around helping boaters. Not employed or registered with anyone, just someone with a windless who likes doing locks. 

Swing bridges! Lets have some help with those.