Claydon Flight (Oxford Canal) closed

Lily Rose

Featured Posts

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/15271-claydon-flight-locks-17-21

Closed as of 7pm today due to a broken balance beam.

We came up the Claydon flight this afternoon . It wasn't me, I promise!

This is the closest we've come so far to getting caught by a stoppage, no doubt it will happen before long.

4 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Often wondered, is it not possible to 'rope' a gate open and shut in the absence of a balance beam? or does it put too much strain on the gate hinge?

Might work for the twin bottom gates, which is what the stoppage refers to, but some of the top gates, especially the one at the top lock, were difficult to open even with the balance beam in place.

8 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/15271-claydon-flight-locks-17-21

Closed as of 7pm today due to a broken balance beam.

We came up the Claydon flight this afternoon . It wasn't me, I promise!

This is the closest we've come so far to getting caught by a stoppage, no doubt it will happen before long.

That would be the balance beam with a couple of new bolts across the big split which was the only evidence of work we could see when we came down after the planned, two day, out of stoppage-season  "saving water" stoppage in April.

MP.

8 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Often wondered, is it not possible to 'rope' a gate open and shut in the absence of a balance beam? or does it put too much strain on the gate hinge?

It sounds as if it should be feasible; indeed, did working boat crews not open and shut gates using ropes?

I also wonder (and really don't know), do CART keep a stock of these beams so that if one breaks, a replacement can be brought to the lock and quickly installed, or is each one individually made to fit a particular lock?

I guess it is better to close a lock for safety reasons rather than to say beam broken so operate lock with a rope. I have used a Spanish windlass technique to open a gate when it has been hard to get a level but get it wrong and you could seriously injure someone.

Given the problems this is going to cause, particularly with the hire fleets, you would have thought CRT would work boats through during limited hours until a new beam can be got to site, then a stoppage to fit it.  You would think that they keep “blank” beam available, that can be cut to the spec for the particular lock reasonably quickly, at Bradley?  Then on a truck to transfer to a workboat to take to site.

Presumably there will be an update to the notice today, given the weather not to many other than the hire boats will be moving I expect!

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Presumably there will be an update to the notice today, given the weather not to many other than the hire boats will be moving I expect!

This morning's weather is the reason I did 5 1/2 hours yesterday, rather than the usual 3, otherwise I would have  been caught by the stoppage.

The forecast (and rain radar) suggests this afternoon will be quite a bit better so I expect a lot of boats will be on the move after sitting out the morning rain. That's my plan for the day anyway 

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Given the problems this is going to cause, particularly with the hire fleets, you would have thought CRT would work boats through during limited hours until a new beam can be got to site, then a stoppage to fit it.  You would think that they keep “blank” beam available, that can be cut to the spec for the particular lock reasonably quickly, at Bradley?  Then on a truck to transfer to a workboat to take to site.

Its absolutely hissing it down here.  Train into Oxford for a session today sometime ? Some poor sods in an Anglo squelch have just cruised past, for some reason which defies logic a private boat is now passing as we speak :o

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I'm sure they do, but to do as you suggest (which is probably what is happening now) someone skilled, probably from Bradley, needs to visit the lock and survey the gate and draw up a design for the new beam, which will take a day just for the trip. Then a day probably to select a suitable pice of timber from stock and make it, then a third day to travel south and fit it onto the gate. 

I doubt this lock will be working again until tomorrow evening at very best, and might possibly take quite a bit longer. if the right size beam blank is not already in stock. 

51 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well done CRT!

Mind you. I bet they just bolted the broken bit back on again...

Locking the lock door after the bolt has bolted.