Universal credit for continous cruising licence

Featured Posts

Horton, why have you started two threads to ask what appears to be the same question? Please explain.

I don't think you'll find anyone, because there is no such thing as a continuous cruising licence.

I don't really know anything about Universal Credit (except what I've read in the news) but I do know that the citizens advice bureaux is very good at helping out with benefits claims. 

I can understand that paying for a mooring is a bit like paying rent so I get that mooring would be covered by housing benefit but have licences always been covered and now they're not or have they never been covered?

@Horton I'm not sure that we're going to come up with answers any better than you've already received in the two threads you've started, but I can't help thinking that if there are people on the forum who are in the same position as you and have the information you need they might not want to discuss their finances on the forum openly, Perhaps if you made some more posts and got to know people a bit better someone may feel more comfortably chatting privately in PM; but you need to make a few more posts before you can use the messaging system. It's just a thought not a criticism. :)

• Greenie 3

5 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

With due respect, that has absolutely nothing to do with the question.

Simply that if the OP has had a licence revoked &/or a restricted licence issued the 'authorities' may be less likely to offer financial support.

I have helped a boater get their BSSC, Licence and Mooring paid for by the Council (in days before UC) in lieu of housing benefit. They had to jump thru' hoops and had to 'toe the line' in every way.

8 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

With due respect, that has absolutely nothing to do with the question.

....and, as we know, all CWDF threads stay rigidly on topic throughout their duration.:D

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

....and, as we know, all CWDF threads stay rigidly on topic throughout their duration.:D

No issues with digression here but that comment had an obvious snarky edge.  The implication = I think you're not a proper boater so I'm gonna judge you accordingly. 

You may of course infer that if you so wish.

I like your portmanteau word "snarky" - i assume it's an amalgam of snidy (or should that be "snidey"?) and narky?

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

You may of course infer that if you so wish.

I like your portmanteau word "snarky" - i assume it's an amalgam of snidy (or should that be "snidey"?) and narky?

Turn the school teacher off, you know what she meant and she was right

• Greenie 3

14 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

The implication = I think you're not a proper boater so I'm gonna judge you accordingly.

So you are now a mind reader amongst your other talents.

I suppose you sit in a small tent at fairs looking into your glass ball making other nonsensical predictions.

Read post #8.

I have helped people in that situation get financial assistance and know how likely that it is that 'you' will be seen to be 'playing the system' and not complying with the rules if there is any slightest hint of impropriety.

44 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Turn the school teacher off, you know what she meant and she was right

The schoolteacher was not on and if he had been, I would have turned him off when and if I thought fit, thank you.

No I didn't.

I'm not sure what you mean, either. Gosh, I must be awfully thick today.

Edited by Athy

3 hours ago, Tumshie said:

I don't really know anything about Universal Credit (except what I've read in the news) but I do know that the citizens advice bureaux is very good at helping out with benefits claims. 

I can understand that paying for a mooring is a bit like paying rent so I get that mooring would be covered by housing benefit but have licences always been covered and now they're not or have they never been covered?

HB was paid by the local council and still is in some cases, But in the main it is now part of a UC award. With licences it did depend on the local council as to wether they would pay the licence fee or not. And then only two weeks or four weeks at a time in arrears.  The more right wing Councils would try and encourage boaters to move on to another Council area. Some Councils did cover things like insurance and BSS, most did not, Under UC are classed as normal costs to be funded out the basic award. It would be unlikey that a six month licence fee would be paid for upfront. As for UC while dealing with my disabled nephews claim tonight, I did ask about boat licances, the reply I had that it is now classed as a normal cost to be funded out the basic award as would the VED for a car. I suspect that it was covered by UC in the begining, but due to misuse was withdrawn. l    

5 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

HB was paid by the local council and still is in some cases, But in the main it is now part of a UC award. With licences it did depend on the local council as to wether they would pay the licence fee or not. And then only two weeks or four weeks at a time in arrears.  The more right wing Councils would try and encourage boaters to move on to another Council area. Some Councils did cover things like insurance and BSS, most did not, Under UC are classed as normal costs to be funded out the basic award. It would be unlikey that a six month licence fee would be paid for upfront. As for UC while dealing with my disabled nephews claim tonight, I did ask about boat licances, the reply I had that it is now classed as a normal cost to be funded out the basic award as would the VED for a car. I suspect that it was covered by UC in the begining, but due to misuse was withdrawn. l    

With regards to the bits I've underlined, now that you say it that makes perfect sense because you might not entitled to the payments in several weeks time and the council wouldn't want to over pay you. 

Being a continuous cruiser might also make it easier for a council to dismiss a claim because they could say that you might not stay with in their catchment area. How difficult and horribly inconsistent the whole thing is. 

Please be aware i am not being snidy elitist or unpleasant.

this is not the best forum for your question. 

It is dominated by canal enthusiasts, ( of which I am one and which you may be)

while i claimed unemployment benefit in the 1980s from my boat i gave up in the end because it got too hard and then i was able to secure  regular work. Your situation is likely to be different.

i suggest the facebook bargees pages i have heard of may be more useful.

citizens advice has been savagely hit by austerity but should be useful.

Its hard enough trying to claim my nhs pension (6 years after my potential date) so i share some of your pain...

13 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

With regards to the bits I've underlined, now that you say it that makes perfect sense because you might not entitled to the payments in several weeks time and the council wouldn't want to over pay you. 

Being a continuous cruiser might also make it easier for a council to dismiss a claim because they could say that you might not stay with in their catchment area. How difficult and horribly inconsistent the whole thing is. 

How much UC you'll get will depend on your circumstances between the first of the month and end of the month. Anything can effect a claim, Take for example any funds paid to the claimant is classed as income even if it is a refund for something ordered, (i.e You place a order from a seller and pay them, But the seller is unable to suppy the item or arrives broken, and the seller refunds the money to the account it is then classed as new income. Just the same with a tax refund. This does lead to problems with insurance payouts where you had to claim the money back in a claim. 

I would say that the now ongoing problem with claims for naviagton linances with UC is down to anarchist boaters group the ‘National Bargee Traveller Association’ pissing off the DWP, Councils and Naviagton Authorities. 

2 single post controversial threads, each asking the same thing, no follow up post, no clarification, no answers to questions  or other response to replies last time, so far none to this. Is this thread not the wind up it appeared to me to be when it first appeared?

Just now, Sea Dog said:

2 single post controversial threads, each asking the same thing, no follow up post, no clarification, no answers to questions  or other response to replies last time, so far none to this. Is this thread not the wind up it appeared to me to be when it first appeared?

I know, it doesn't look good, does it. ?

2 hours ago, Tumshie said:

But in the main it is now part of a UC award. With licences it did depend on the local council as to wether they would pay the licence fee or not. And then only two weeks or four weeks at a time in arrears. 

I thought 'Universal Credit' was a benefit paid to those in the UK who qualified for whatever reason, I didn't realise the amount paid out depended on where you lived!

6 minutes ago, Clodi said:

I thought 'Universal Credit' was a benefit paid to those in the UK who qualified for whatever reason, I didn't realise the amount paid out depended on where you lived!

Somehow you've quoted me but I didn't say what's in the quote box. I really don't understand how UC works or anything about it actually. It seems that the quote comes from @nbfiresprite.

Edited by Tumshie