Leeds Liverpool stoppage.

nipper

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, MHS said:

We will be in no rush in July but not sure we will be wanting to spend a few days between Coxhead and Melling going both ways. 

Sorry if I was not clear ... an hour's earlier start from the "wrong" side of Coxhead's gets you to Stanley Dock top in enough time to transit the Liverpool Link, or you go through a day earlier and have about an hour's cruise to the Stanley Locks.

If you are not on a hireboat schedule, don't worry about it!

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Sorry if I was not clear ... an hour's earlier start from the "wrong" side of Coxhead's gets you to Stanley Dock top in enough time to transit the Liverpool Link, or you go through a day earlier and have about an hour's cruise to the Stanley Locks.

If you are not on a hireboat schedule, don't worry about it!

But if you leave Stanley dock on a Monday morning, you can’t be at Coxhead for the mid-day opening. So you are stuck between Melling and Coxhead until mid-day on Friday. 

17 minutes ago, MHS said:

But if you leave Stanley dock on a Monday morning, you can’t be at Coxhead for the mid-day opening. So you are stuck between Melling and Coxhead until mid-day on Friday. 

Good point, well made!  I never care about getting out of Liverpool, just into it!

It's the great beauty of being a CC'er ... we don't really care where we end up!

On 07/05/2019 at 16:25, ditchcrawler said:

Does 08004799947 not still work If its out of hours you probably wont get anyone  on the regional number but the national number should connect you to the duty chap for the area.

For non emergencies you can use 0303 040 4040, the details will be taken and passed to the correct area. I've used this to report various issues.

I've used the 0800 number when stuck in a lock late at night and got a call back from the duty supervisor.

• Greenie 1

The other thing to watch out for are the timings through Wango Lane Bridge which is closed to canal traffic between 7.30 and 9.30 and 14.00 and 18.00. Going to Liverpool we got through Coxheads at 11.45 on the Friday. The 2 boats in front were booked onto the link for the Saturday and they really had to race to get to Wango Lane by 2pm. Another boat moored at Bridge 10 and went through after 6pm. We had a night above bridge 10 and a night at Litherland before going down on the Sunday.

The guys at the scene yesterday said the repairs are progressing much better than expected, all that's left to do now is to re-connect the electrics and test it. He reckoned it might even be open again by the end of next week.

We are due to go into Liverpool 5th July, and as of yesterday the info. I have been given is that the new control hut is on order and

due to be delivered next week from Scotland. The electrics and hydraulics then have to be installed. CRT will not give a firm date but

judging by other major contracts completed during the last twelve months ; I would say September-October would be realistic for

completion.

Coxhead SB fixed or not ,I'm booked in for early July and was just wondering if overnight mooring in Maghull  is sensible as the crew may wish to take the train into Liverpool to do some serious drinking.

29 minutes ago, Quaffer said:

Coxhead SB fixed or not ,I'm booked in for early July and was just wondering if overnight mooring in Maghull  is sensible as the crew may wish to take the train into Liverpool to do some serious drinking.

Why train in? there are lots of pubs on the way to Liverpool and, to be honest, all have moorings quite close by

There seems to be no shortage of moorings on that section of the Leeds and Liverpool. The locals seem to be friendly too!

I had a word with one of the 6 men that operated the swingbridge today, he said it wont be too long before we wont have to do this mate!

So maybe by the endish of July all will be back to normal at Coxhead!

Nipper

2 hours ago, nipper said:

Why train in? there are lots of pubs on the way to Liverpool and, to be honest, all have moorings quite close by

There seems to be no shortage of moorings on that section of the Leeds and Liverpool. The locals seem to be friendly too!

I had a word with one of the 6 men that operated the swingbridge today, he said it wont be too long before we wont have to do this mate!

So maybe by the endish of July all will be back to normal at Coxhead!

Nipper

Lets hope all is well soon at Coxhead.

We will be visiting lots of pubs on the journey towards Coxhead from Manchester,but Liverpool city centre does have some outstanding real ale pubs which isn't the case in Maghull,Aintree,Litherland or Bootle IMHO,hence the plan to get a train from Maghull .Thats was the reason for the question about security of mooring there.

The following day we should be in Salthouse Dock and then we can do it all over again albeit at a different selection of pubs !

Edited by Quaffer
get name right

17 hours ago, Quaffer said:

We did this in 2013 and really appreciated the opportunity to explore the area eg Gormley's statues in the sea. We are booked that way for the end of the month for our second visit

18 hours ago, Quaffer said:

Maghull is fine to moor in, most boats moor just before the running horses, (pub) opposite the Mersey boat club moorings. You would need to get a taxi to the train station from there though, less than a £5  I would think, Maghull north. Train to Liverpool central or moorfields. Taxi -526 5050 ( blue line)

Edited by Timx

I kept wondering where Coxhead SB was, until I realised that its real name is Rimmer's Bridge, as seen here in the 1802 survey of the canal. Rimmer is one of the surnames you find hefe, indicating that the family came from the rim of the bogland which used to form much of this area. Martin Mere is the last substantial part of the bogland.

14.5 Rimmer's Bridge, Lydiate.jpg

On 11/06/2019 at 11:48, Timx said:

Maghull is fine to moor in, most boats moor just before the running horses, (pub) opposite the Mersey boat club moorings. You would need to get a taxi to the train station from there though, less than a £5  I would think, Maghull north. Train to Liverpool central or moorfields. Taxi -526 5050 ( blue line)

Thanks for all this info,especially the cab number.I was thinking of using Maghull station which is close to the canal at bridge 118 ,

On 11/06/2019 at 11:16, Mike Todd said:

We did this in 2013 and really appreciated the opportunity to explore the area eg Gormley's statues in the sea. We are booked that way for the end of the month for our second visit

This is my second trip after an initial voyage on the Liverpool Link in 2012.In those days boats were asked to gather overnight at Hancocks SB 9 and then BW staff operated that bridge the next morning together with Netherton SB 6 .It was suggested we all travel in convoy all the way to Stanley Locks.There were some kids pranking about with the boats waiting at Hancocks that evening,so I'm glad the current entry to Liverpool is so much more relaxed and easier.

Edited by Quaffer
typo

We came through Coxheads today. The supervisor told me that all the work has been completed, they are now just waiting for the electricity company to reconnect the supply so they can start testing. He sounded pretty confident that it will be fully open within a week.

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

We came through Coxheads today. The supervisor told me that all the work has been completed, they are now just waiting for the electricity company to reconnect the supply so they can start testing. He sounded pretty confident that it will be fully open within a week.

That's a very useful update,thanks.

On 14/06/2019 at 20:01, The Bearwood Boster said:

It is,if they really do get it sorted-it will make our July trip to Liverpool much easier !

Just got the notification that Coxhead's Swing Bridge repairs are completed and navigation has resumed.?